Trouble Hearing Now in Noisy Places

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jkph75, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      About month ago, I woke up with loud T which progressed to feeling like I couldn't hear, then dizziness and vertigo over the course of a week or so. I got some Prednisone and haven't been very dizzy but the tinnitus is still there. I went for a hearing test on the Prednisone and they said my hearing was better than the 1st time they did it. I went to the chiropractor the other day. He worked on my neck and I felt dizzy and pressure in my ear afterwards. Now I am having a hard time hearing in public places. Background noises sound louder than people talking unless they are right next to me. Idk if it has anything to do with the chiropractor or not. My T is turning into a more high pitched sound. I am definitely losing hearing. Anyone know what is going on?

2. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

Stop going to chiropractors. Go to actual medical doctors, i.e. MD's.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I did. I happened to go to a chiropractor too.

4. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

You're being purposely obtuse. Stop going to the chiropractor. Return to an actual medical doctor (GP, ENT, Neuro, etc.) and tell them that your symptoms have worsened after having your neck manipulated by a chiro. Dizziness and pressure in your ears along with hearing loss after having your neck man-handled by a chiro is not a good sign.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Ok I plan on it. Are you saying he did something permanent to me?

6. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

#1. No one can diagnose you over the Internet. #2. I am not a doctor. #3. Even if I was an MD I would refer back to statement #1.

Look, the bottom line is that something is happening either in your neck, your arteries, your ears, your brain or possibly a combination of all four. Tinnitus can sometimes be the result of vascular issues in the neck. And dizziness can be a sign of an inner-ear disorder. That's why I, personally, would never allow someone to manipulate my neck unless that treatment was prescribed by a medical doctor after getting a diagnosis for the problem. (I'm talking physical therapy from a licensed practitioner that I was referred to by an MD. And even then the therapy probably wouldn't be too intense, rather, just massage and some stretching exercises.)

Hang in there. Try not to freak out too much. Be patient. Go see an MD again and update him/her with your new symptoms. That should give them an idea of what needs to be done next. And if possible try to get some relaxation training. It definitely helps in the long run.

7. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160128133035.htm
      May be relevant to your case. In response to a loss in hearing the brain can turn up the amplification on sounds coming in, so your thresholds may not appear to shift much but it makes distinguishing voices in a noisy environment much harder.

With the dizziness or vertigo you may have inner ear conditions that are causing your symptoms. Get in to see an ENT or neurotologist if you haven't already.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      My speech recognition was 100% at my last hearing test which was this week. I guess it could have changed in a couple of days. That would be strange but I don't think anything would surprise me at this point.