Turmeric with Curcumin Seems to Be Helping

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Dginobile, Mar 16, 2018.

1. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      yeah same here

2. Rafa03

Rafa03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      @TomK
      I am sorry to hear that Curcumin spiked your T too.
      I am having a similar reaction (increased T and headache) after a single pill I took yesterday noon.
      How long did it take till your T went back to normal?

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

I’m currently trying curcumin. Taken it two days. Both days I have experienced intermittent spiking. Possibly intermittent because I’m on clonazepam?

4. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      who knows bro. how are you taking it? dosage? time? etc?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

I took it in capsule with a meal. Theracumin brand. Says only 30mg though but boasts of its bioavailability. I’m not versed in this stuff. My majors in school were sociology and religious studies lol.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. Bob90
      Busy

Bob90 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overexposure to loud music
      Tried this for the first time tonight. Bought myself Nature Made brand, since that was the highest rated brand at my drug store. I took less than half a dose just to make sure I don't easily experience the side effects. If that goes well I'll start taking it regularly and will report back if anything changes, better or worse.

I noticed at least a couple people in this thread reported they had good results from both steroids and this and so I'm hopeful that since steroids helped me, for a bit, this will work too.

• Like Like x 3
    7. carolinet617
      Tired

carolinet617 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bupropion (Wellbutrin), TMJ, possible ETD
      I've been so scared to try something new but at this point I'm so fed up with the T I'm willing to go ahead and give this a try. Not much left to lose! I just took my first pill of the curcumin linked below and will check in here and see if anything changes.

For brief background I originally thought my T started from an ototoxic medication in January but am not positive now--I was recently diagnosed with TMJ and am also fairly sure I have ETD since steroid nasal spray has drastically helped the pain and pressure in my ears (though not the noise). Due to all of this, I am leaning more and more towards my T being inflammatory, so fingers crossed!

https://www.amazon.com/Curcuminoids...ures-Nutrition/dp/B01NBA8DZF/?tag=tinntalk-20

• Like Like x 2
    8. Nicholas2255

Nicholas2255 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long history of noise
      Just sharing my experience with curcumin. Was taking it for a few days and felt that overall my tinnitus was a lot louder/disruptive. I cut it out for a few days and all was good, and then when I took it again to test it out my ear started spiking/acting up within 5 mins. Could be a coincidence but jeez it was quick.
      So I guess curcumin doesn't work for me and all issues were temporary so no dramas

• Informative Informative x 3
    9. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Will you share your dosage/time of dosage/brand? It would be helpful.

10. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Wow GoatSheep, sociology and religious studies. I studied fine art. Surprised we haven’t met at the soup kitchen or homeless shelter... We are real examples of what not to do in a capitalist society.......ooops.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    11. Nicholas2255

Nicholas2255 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long history of noise
      I took "Nature's way" which is just a local brand at my supermarket. I didn't search very far when sourcing good pills. They're 600mg tablets and I took two at a time. The last time I took it was around 10-11pm and took them without food. Sat down at worked for 1-2 hours before falling asleep.

Within 5 mins of taking the pill I got the "fleeting" tinnitus which has happened to me in the past, but the timing was uncanny. On top of that my ringing was just a lot more "active" instead of just being a low steady sound that I'm used to. I've never been into supplements before, and even stuff like magnesium seems to set off my tinnitus as well. Who knows

• Informative Informative x 2
    12. Pawel1
      No Mood

Pawel1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang
      Please, don't stop what you're doing on this forum. Peace.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It absorbs very poorly without food.

14. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I'll meet you there. I'm another social scientist.

• Like Like x 1
    15. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I am now over a week into a daily dose of curcumin. My hyperacusis is still spiking :(

I'm hoping some improvement will come soon. My palms/nails are not the slightest bit yellow, so I guess the curcumin hasn't been fully absorbed in the body yet.

16. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      What's this? I've taken curcumin and it never made my palms or nails yellow. I wouldn't draw any conclusions from that... it shouldn't color most people's skin? That must be a defect in the human being in question if it does?

17. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @JohnAdams said it coloured the soles of his feet and his palms yellow. I also had this effect last time I took it... It wasn't prominent, just a light yellow tint in my palms and if I washed my hands and dryed them with toilet paper it rubbed off a little yellow.

It makes sense to me... curcumin has a powerful colour. I once shred some raw curcumin and my hands got very yellow and it took days (many handwashes) before it went away. My shredding iron is still yellow :D

How much do you take? I take about 3-4 grams. John Adams once took 12 grams and now I think he takes about the same as me (please correct me if I'm wrong @JohnAdams).

18. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I focused on verifying if I had tinnitus
      The quantity you take is not indicative of what goes in your blood and not indicative of the action it will have.

Curcumin have a very poor absorbtion and is not soluble in water, which mean if you take it with lot of water it will basically not absorbed at all.
      On the other hand it's liposoluble so it will have a good absorbtion in fat, and it's actually recommended to take it with fish oil for example.
      Another thing is that there is multiple forms of curcumin, conjugate or free. But the conjugate form have a poorer bio availability and also a poorer activity...
      So the quantity, and even the concentration of curcumin means nothing, because in the end we're only interested in the free form of curcumin and what actually goes in blood and have an anti-inflammatory activity.
      That's why the color of your palms or fingernails also doesn't mean much because it is not an indicator that the free anti-inflammatory form is in your blood, but rather that's you have all form of curcumin that went through and are coloring your skin.

That's why taking 12g or 3g means nothing. That's why quantity means nothing. 10g with only 1% of curcumin going into your blood with 20% of its active form would have the same effect as 0.2g with 10% going into blood and 10% of free active form.

I would add that most products you will find have piperine which is actually bad for bowels (that's why some people there had belly-ache by taking supplement of curcumin with piperine in big quantity) and also let heavy metals and other toxins go easier into the blood. It's like opening the door but not just for curcumin but for every bad stuff because it deactives some enzyme of your liver that would normally filter what you eat.
      Also this patent is free of use that's why so many brands use it and put piperine in their supplements but it's shit.

There's not many patents that make the bioavailability of free active form of curcumin better: Longvida is the first one and the most well known, and Nutriphy Curcumin 102 (aka CurQfen) is the second one. But of course they are much more expensive.
      Be careful also with the nano particles that are added because they go through every barrier in the body because they are so small, and we don't know the effect it could have (trust me, I studied nano-materials and had even a class on its danger in the body) so don't take something if you see titan dioxyde (E171). It will actually be prohibited in France in 2020.

Here is some link in French with a lot of citations of research done. It's a really good summary.

https://www.santescience.fr/curcumine-libre-vs-conjuguee/

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. carolinet617
      Tired

carolinet617 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bupropion (Wellbutrin), TMJ, possible ETD
      Quick update from me--I've been taking it with meals and woke up today in the closest I've had to silence in months. Now, it's only been 2 days so I'm by no means calling it a success yet, but promising at least. I did sleep very well last night and my tinnitus is very reactive to stress/lack of sleep. Strangely as well, yesterday was the first day in probably a year that I haven't had to take my IBS medication--one of the reasons I was so hesitant to try curcumin in the first place was because of my stomach issues, but strangely it hasn't had that effect and potentially has actually helped!

Again, very early on here so could very easily be coincidence/placebo but I'll check in when it's been longer.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    20. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Great post. Do you think Liposoma Curcumin is better than Longvida or Nutriphy?

I've posted this before. Do agree with this analysis?

How to Absorb Turmeric: Curcumin Gold |...

21. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can't tell if it is better, it would require data on it, scientific papers...

But I do agree with the analysis, curcumin requires fat, and Micelles technique is a good technique that is actually not only used for curcumin but for a lot of other extracts and supplements.

I also know for example Novasol use that technique.

But you have to be careful to with the Micelles used, for example soya lecithine (if you are allergic) or polysorbate that is potentially harmful (link to cancer?)

I could not find a trace of their patent, or studies on liposomal curcumin. So while the theory is ok, I can't know how it does in real life.

22. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I take my curcumin in pure powder form mixed into about 50 ml. of juice, added with a bit of pepper. And I take it with a meal (with fat). I should think that it would get absorbed well in my body then.

I'll keep at it and see what happens with time...

• Like Like x 2
    23. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I found one study. They mention it on their website.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24402825

24. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The results should be quick. If it's not doing anything for you then up the dose. If you take enough with food, your fingers will turn yellow.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    25. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Why do you constantly insult people in this forum? You must really be a miserable human being.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    26. Nicholas2255

Nicholas2255 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long history of noise
      Ok so I'm back with a new experience. Tried it again today after a meal with no water. Took 1 tablet (600mg) and now my tinnitus is extremely quiet, like barely a whisper even when plugging my ears. This level of quiet has happened before on good days, but it was quite loud this morning and has appeared to go right down after taking the tablet.
      It could be a coincidence but I might keep experimenting with curcumin.

• Like Like x 1
    27. SouthKorean
      No Mood

SouthKorean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017/12/28
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, Shock
      Really? Congratulations.
      Thank you for sharing your experience. (y)

• Like Like x 1
    28. Artazanasss
      Caffeine

Artazanasss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/09
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced hidden hearing loss and acoustic trauma
      I tried Turmeric Curcumin 2 tablets a day of 600 mg supplement that had black pepper in it for about 3-4 months now and I have to say I have some mixed results it definitely helped my tinnitus I did notice about 10% reduction on my already mild tinnitus in one ear and it almost disappeared in the other ear so I'm definitely recommending it for people with tinnitus. But my main purpose with Turmeric and Curcumin was to boost BDNF combine it with intermittent fasting which also has BDNF boosting ability regenerate my auditory neurons and improve my hearing even a little bit and I have to say it failed on that front my hearing is still pure garbage and it hasn't improved or moved one bit. So for hearing loss I would say it's not beneficial or at least you have to take it long term.

I'm putting a hold on Turmeric and curcumin for now and will try Astanaxthin and lutein with zeaxanthin who all have neurotrophin 3 boosting abilities and can, in theory, regenerate neurons and synapses even if it will not work Astanaxthin is the most potent antioxidant in nature and lutein and zeaxanthin are really good for eye health so I think I will benefit regardless I will report the results of that in about 3-6 months and see what happens. :)

• Like Like x 3
      • Genius Genius x 1
    29. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      As curcumin is hydrophobic, I would not mix it with juice or any liquid. Supposedly this could make the absorption even less effective than it already is.

Also, keep in mind the powder form is not ideal in terms of efficiency, but you can still benefit from it with higher dose.

From my understanding and research, best would be to take it with oil fish (omega 3 supplements) which by the way could also have benefits for tinnitus ;) (it has anti-inflammatory properties as well) and is quite cheap.
      That is a good news, but as you said it could be a coincidence, as tinnitus is really random and can act down for days without you doing anything.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    30. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Interesting info about piperine and heavy metal absorption, especially since a form of LEAD is sometimes added to turmeric to enhance the yellow colour of the spice

Be wary where you source your spices from

However black pepper is one of the most common spices used in the world, so I'm not sure how bad it can be honestly.

• Informative Informative x 4