Turmeric with Curcumin Seems to Be Helping

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Dginobile, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Goodness me... LEAD... I know heavy metals are common in baby formulas... weird... how did you find about lead and turmeric... not doubting you, just curious.

2. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      There was a report a couple of weeks back. Hopefully this pertains to low quality turmeric only but buying fresh roots would probably be the safest. The brand I use seems safe or I would be severely poisoned by now probably. I think this is a relatively small problem honestly

Not sure about extracted curcumin. Makes sense that they would use cheap turmeric for that, but I don't know if any lead would end up in the finished pills

• Like Like x 1
    3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Go try like 6 tablets.

• Like Like x 1
    4. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Sorry, but I don't see how it could make the absorption worse when taking it with liquid. It is recommended that you take the curcumin with a meal, so if I take it with juice and then straight away eat a meal thereafter, then the whole thing gets mixed in my stomach. Even if I took it dry, it will mix with food in my stomach anyway (and food also contains much liquid)...

It just doesn't make sense to me that it would get poorly absorbed, when taking it will a bit of juice before a meal.

I take fish oil capsules (started about a month ago). I take these with my meal too.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My palms do have a slight yellow tint to them now btw... so my body has started absorbing at least some of it.

I have moments here and there where my hyperacusis is better, so that's some improvement from some days ago... My tinnitus doesn't seem lower in volume, but somehow it still feels better, like it's a bit softer in its sound/tone.

• Like Like x 4
    6. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey guys, anyone want to help me figure out which brands have lead?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      As long as your meal has black pepper and fats in it it would work I guess. If not, you won't absorb much

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    8. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Most likely very few if any when it comes to supplements. They add lead to enhance the yellow color in low quality turmeric powder. Still, adding lead to food for profit is a pretty crazy and desperate thing. If this was widespread it would probably be more talked about.

I still should research it a bit more I guess just to be safe. I use organic tutmeric powder from India. I think it was India and Bangladesh that had been confirmed to sometimes produce turmeric powder with lead

• Like Like x 2
    9. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If taking curcumin at night helps with tinnitus the next day, then maybe the reason we have tinnitus in this sub group is because out nerves aren't making enough BDNF at night and this replaces it?

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My meals almost always have a bit of pepper in it, but I also add a little pepper to the juice I mix the curcumin with.

• Like Like x 2
    11. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      "To detect the presence of lead chromate, mix a teaspoon of turmeric powder with water. If adulterated, it will immediately leak streaks of water-soluble colour. One of the easiest ways to check adulteration is to add a teaspoon of turmeric to a glass of warm water."

• Informative Informative x 3
    12. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      On another note: My anxiety has been drastically lower these last 3 days. I can't fully attribute that to the curcumin......at least not yet......I have had good periods in terms of anxiety before......but the anxiety has been really shitty lately, for a long time, and only just now has it gotten better. Could be a coincidence BUT curcumin is said to be able to lower anxiety in some people, sooo.......maybe.

• Like Like x 4
    13. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      BDNF is disregulated in the DCN of tinnitus patients. BDNF is made in the endoplasmic reticulum. They have suspected NDMA receptor agonists can treat tinnitus, and I just found this about NDMA receptor stimulation can induce reversible fission in the endoplasmic reticulum of nerves, whatever that means. I need to actually read this article.
      https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0005250

14. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Was it BDNF that makes green tea and spirulina good for us?

Seems like psychedelics also increse BDNF but I'd have to see some solid research proving that to take it seriously.

Oh.. Lack of meaningful social interaction decreases BDNF. I need all the help I can get then!

• Like Like x 2
    15. eagerUser

eagerUser Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The last month I started drinking a cup of turmeric tea with black pepper everyday but after 3 or 4 days I stopped because my whole body turned yellow like Minions!

A 4-day period is too short to notice any improvements IMO so I don't know if that did anything!

• Informative Informative x 3
    16. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe so. I wonder if the answer is that our endoplasmic reticulum was damaged by glutamate over excitation and we can cure ourselves by causing that to heal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. eagerUser

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Is green tea good? It increases tinnitus AFAIK.

• Like Like x 1
    18. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think it would be within 24 hours. Maybe try taking it right before bed at night.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    19. eagerUser

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I had it in the evening. I'm gonna try curcumin and report back.

• Like Like x 2
    20. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It certainly doesn't increase my T. Then again, quality is very important when it comes to tea

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    21. eagerUser

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Biking, jogging and exercising outside (outside because your body converts sunlight to vitamin D) are also known to boost BDNF.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    22. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      if our cells are disregulated then we are going to need more than that

• Like Like x 1
    23. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 5
    24. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I had been taking Bioglan Curcumin double strength 1200mg but I started bruising easily, I have since cut back to 600mg and also started taking Bioglan 1000mg Vitamin C daily. I have only been doing this combination for ten days but I do feel it is helping... I also have had 8 sessions of acupuncture which I think has also been beneficial.

I thought of you John the other day I went to a trendy cafe in Melbourne and on their menu was a coconut and Turmeric latte, I was expecting you to drop by and place an order ;)

Since I have presently given up caffeine I tried a Hibiscus and beetroot Latte, sounds Yuk but it was a nice pink color and after the first gulp and my best sour face I managed to drink it. Next time I will try the Turmeric option especially since I read this link below:

https://entirehearing.com.au/2018/02/truth-hearing-aids-5/

• Like Like x 3
    25. carolinet617
      Tired

carolinet617 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bupropion (Wellbutrin), TMJ, possible ETD
      I've noticed the exact same thing! I've had daily anxiety for years and it's noticeably been less since I started the curcumin. Like you, I can't be sure yet, but it's an interesting theory for sure.

• Like Like x 4
    26. Bob90
      Busy

Bob90 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overexposure to loud music
      Report time!

Going into as much detail as possible on how curcumin has been for my tinnitus so far.

(About the Curcumin)
      Brand: NatureMade
      Started: 10/18 (Full dose, partial two days prior), so 8 days
      Dose: 500 mg (50 mg of actual curcumin)
      Method: I sprinkle the curcumin over food as @JohnAdams does at dinner
      Other deets: No piperine, but have been eating with fatty foods as it's been said a couple times here that that helps absorption w/o the problems piperine brings.

(About my T)
      -Have it for 7 months, and caused by auditory trauma from concert(s)
      -Very minimal hearing loss, so I believe I have more of a nerve damage problem than hearing problem
      -Ranges from 3-5.5 in intrusiveness most days and on rare occasions hits 6 or bit more.
      -Was improved for a couple months by a 5 days regimen of prednisone which I had to stop taking due to effects.
      -Likes to stick around 5.5 for a couple weeks at a time before going down again.

Status: Over the last few days I have noticed a *marked* improvement in T percept and feeling towards my T. It's been much closer to a 3 since at least Monday 10/21, and I don't feel instantly depressed when I notice, probably cause I'm noticing it less often.

Caveats: I've also taken magnesium at the same time as the curcumin. Not sure how much of a role, if any that has had in improving my T experience. I've been getting it naturally through 95% dark chocolate and cashews, which also happen to be fatty which supposedly helps curcumin absorption. I also noticed while applying my beard balm yesterday that more hairs than I would like came out and am worried that the curcumin is already having a hair thinning effect on me. Considering my beard is my key attractive feature I may resort to only taking curcumin when I notice my T get uppity for a couple-few days at a time, lol.

TL,DR: Curcumin has, imo, had a positive effect on my T. If your T profile is similar to mine, you *may* also get a benefit from it. As I said, I take my curcumin with foods that have good fat content that *also* have good levels of magnesium which could be helping have a positive effect as well. Don't take this as strict medical advice, talk to your doctor first, I am not liable yada yada yada.

Hopefully someone finds this short novel helpful.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    27. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I actually stopped doing that most of the time and I just gobble down a handful of capsules. Glad it's helping you.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Bob90
      Busy

Bob90 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overexposure to loud music
      Thank you! I'm very glad this thread exists because I wouldn't have known to try it otherwise. When did you start doing that and how many mgs are you taking at this point?

• Like Like x 1
    29. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I started it a little over a year ago, but I was trying to use its Notch1 inhibitor proprieties to regenerate my haircells. I inadvertently discovered that it calms my tinnitus. Then I was taking 12,000 milligrams a day. The I stopped for a few months, had a couple more acoustic traumas that worsened my tinnitus. Then I did the Minbo Shim treatment, twice :wideyed:and since then I've been taking it daily at a lower dose, between 2,000 -3,000 milligrams. Right now as I type this. My tinnitus is a 0.5/10. It does fluctuate though. Yesterday I ran a space heater in my office and it spiked my tinnitus like nuts but went right back down this morning.
      upload_2019-10-26_14-19-37.png

30. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      I think I have to try this again, it didn’t really do much but I have a feeling I wasn’t taking enough. I was mixing two capsules into my food, maybe just take them whole with food??