Turmeric with Curcumin Seems to Be Helping

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Dginobile, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Joe72

Joe72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      headphones use as a teenager and loud event
      Wanted to pass on my knowledge of turmeric: I buy organic turmeric root and freeze it. The key here when you make the tea is not to overheat the turmeric since excessive and prolonged heat damages the curcumin. That's from what I read about it. So I finely chop a small 2cm x 2cm portion and gently heat the water to no more than 70C to 80C... then turn off the heat and leave it on the stove for 2 to 3 hours before consuming it. The longer you leave it, the darker and stronger it becomes. I might leave it overnight sometimes. Other times I let it continue extracting in the fridge. Trust me, it gets stronger and stronger. One article I read said that curcumin needs a bit of oil for better absorption.... sometimes when I want a higher dose I just eat tiny bits of it raw.
      Not sure if it helps my tinnitus, though, since my bad tinnitus is only about 1 month old.

I have raw whole kava kava root on it's way to me now from 2 different sources. I will update my findings on that. I decided to stick to whole roots because I don't trust the processing and making of the powder. I have no way of verifying the contents.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently unknown; likely noise-induced
      To those of you who have been taking Turmeric, I have a couple questions if you could be so kind:
      1. What dosage are you taking?
        I am currently taking about 1 gram (2 x 500 mg pills) per day.

2. Do you take it with black pepper? If so, how much?
        I have been trying to take the Turmeric with dinner in which it's feasible to have black pepper as a seasoning, but I worry that it's not enough. The specific Turmeric supplements I have do not have black pepper or BioPerine included. Not sure if I should spring for a supplement in which it is included.

3. Have you found taking it with something else works well enough?
        I remember reading from someone here that fats and oils can help with the absorption of Turmeric, so I've often been using that in addition to (or instead of) black pepper through things like butter or meat fat.

I haven't noticed a benefit from Turmeric so far, but that could be for any variety of reasons. I do want to ensure it's not a result of me either not taking enough or not having enough of a cofactor (such as the black pepper or fats) for my body to absorb it.

Thanks in advance!

3. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Hi! I take Garden of Life, my kind organics, Fermented Turmeric 254 mg x3 plus organic black pepper fruit and organic cinnamon bark 60mg x 3, organic fermented ginger fruit 50 mg x3. I'm going up to 4 x a day though. It doesn't upset my stomach, but another Curcumin by Dr. Meyers did give me reflux.

4. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently unknown; likely noise-induced
      Interesting! Thank you for sharing. The multivitamins I have been taking recently are actually from Garden of Life as well! I'm trying to stick to more organic options where I can, though I can't really say I've noticed any effect from them.

I can't seem to find the one specifically you have ordered, but I might considering picking up a bottle of theirs whenever this one runs out.

Feels like it's much more convenient to have the black pepper already included. I don't always have a meal that warrants the use of it, so I feel as if I am almost wasting the Turmeric.

5. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      I get these through Whole Foods, Amazon delivers Whole Foods here.

Turmeric.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    6. falafel

falafel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma
      I started yesterday taking Turmeric with Ginger and Black Pepper... and I've noticed changes (I don't know if I can call them improvements yet). Usually my tinnitus is very intrusive and I hear it 24/7 (it's a combination of several sounds) since one of them is very high pitched and it's not static, it changes constantly in volume (sometimes it seems pulsatile even)... It's also very connected with my neck and jaw muscular tension.

- It spikes with: exercise, eating, neck/jaw issues, hot showers, sugar, processed foods.
      - It gets reduced with: cold showers, fasting, neck/jack massages, and getting up very fast from a chair or bed so I get that typical dizziness of this kind of fast movements (doing this it disappears 100%! Yes, 100%! Then it fades in gradually).

Well, what happens with this Turmeric compound is that the sound of my tinnitus soothes a little bit. It doesn't change in volume (it may even sound louder) but it sounds less intrusive, less high pitched and as I said less intrusive, less disturbing.

In addition to this I had been taking Magnesium Citrate everyday and 2 weeks ago i started with NAD+ and Selenium and some Vitamin D3 (3000 UI).

I have no hearing loss from 20 Hz to 8000 Hz (nothing, zero); only in the higher frequency spectrum.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. PortugalTheMan
      Shocked

PortugalTheMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety / Maybe years listening to music on headphones
      I drink Cinnamon and Turmeric tea every day, and from now on I will take a supplement. I have had tinnitus for 3 months, which started after a time of great deal of stress.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Elroy Fisher

Elroy Fisher Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma & Ototoxic Medication
      • Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Thinking of getting the turmeric and curcumin in powder form and putting it on salmon that I eat twice a week. Hopefully in helps my tinnitus or the mild rosacea I just got. FML

10. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      • Good Question Good Question x 2
    11. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      Dang that website looks scammy... I think that same doctor pictured on that site tried to sell me a cream made from unicorn tears to make my hair grow again a week ago.

• Funny Funny x 5
      • Agree Agree x 2
    12. K.A.

K.A. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, then 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I am confused, I read that Turmeric is "high on salicylates". But I have bought Curcumin extract 95% powder.

Is the Curcumin itself a salicylate, or does it contain a salicylate somehow?

Or is the salicylates in Turmeric "in addition" to Curcumin, meaning my powder is more or less free of salicylates?

Thanks for any input.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. Aaron91
      Gloomy

Aaron91 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/headphones/concerts - Hyperacusis from motorbike
      I've also been looking for the answer to this question. I couldn't find a direct answer but I think this study should more or less tell us the answer:

The Combination of Curcumin and Salsalate is Superior to Either Agent Alone in Suppressing Pro-Cancerous Molecular Pathways and Colorectal Tumorigenesis in Obese Mice

TLDR: They used curcumin to combat the effects of salicylates, which would suggest to me that curcumin does not have any, or at least not in a quantity worth worrying about.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    14. K.A.

K.A. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008, then 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yes, I have read more about this now myself including this study. Also I have figured, when using e.g. 85% Curcumin extract, that if 15% (the rest) is pure salicylates, the dose is not very huge - more like what they call baby Aspirin which many people take every day to improve cardiovascular health (as a blood thinner).

But then all of a sudden I found this:

Curcumin induces apoptosis through FAS and FADD, in caspase-3-dependent and -independent pathways in the N18 mouse-rat hybrid retina ganglion cells

So there is a dose dependent thing here, as I understand it. The question is what is the blood levels of Curcumin when taking supplements with absorption enhancing additives, like black pepper/piperine, etc.

15. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I bought these and took my first one earlier today. Did it help you at all?

16. Peter Q

Peter Q Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @HeavyMantra, do you find that Ashwagandha and/or Turmeric help your tinnitus?

17. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No. I find Ashwagandha helps against stress and anxiety, but I eat so many different herbs it's impossible to really say if that's just an expectation or not.

18. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The world may never know..
      Hi, sorry for the late reply. I haven't logged on in ages. They did not help me, to be honest the only thing that truly seems to have made a difference this year was taking CBD oil and doing myofascial release exercises.

Thanks.

• Informative Informative x 2
    19. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Question: I have dysautonomia and can have dramatic effects upon taking supplements. I noticed when I took Turmeric, large dose, I got a migraine later that evening. I also took a small dose (1 capsule), and it had a profound effect on my mood, blood pressure, and heart rate, and then later I got a mild headache. I took it in the evening and that night I was clenching my jaw throughout sleep. I am guessing that it is increasing my serotonin levels among other things, and then later they decline and I get a headache or something, but I am not sure.

Regardless, do you all think that if I kept taking it, would the headaches and jaw clenching go away? Do you all think that this response could be a symptom of chronic inflammation?

20. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi Jason,

Interesting question.

I would be thinking more along the lines of salicylates?

I tried taking about 1200 mg Curcumin in 2020 during a relapse, after a friend found high dose Curcumin reduced her tinnitus. However, about an hour or so later, I ended up with a big spike (which may have been incidental) along with nausea, and didn't take it again.

Were you taking the Curcumin for your tinnitus or something else?

21. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I believe taking the large doses of Turmeric etc in pill form is actually counter-productive.

The body will just get rid of the excess.

We are built to take vitamins etc in food form.

Add Turmeric in powder form if you need to. Get vitamins through fruit and vegetables.

Maybe there is an argument for vitamin D pills in our cold, dark climate until spring and summer comes. Then get it from going outside in nature.

22. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I'm sorry to hear about your spike, nausea, and relapse. :( I hope you are doing better now.

At first I think I tried Turmeric for tinnitus but then the last couple of times I tried it was to reduce inflammation in the hopes that reduced inflammation would help my dysautonomia. Unfortunately, it seems like I am sensitive to a lot of supplements. However, Vitamin D doesn't seem to be a problem for me most of the time. Who knows? Maybe I can become less sensitive somehow or get my nutrition through food.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I want to retry Curcumin, but this link has made me cautious.

Does anyone else share my concern?

24. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      If you are still about, had you experienced quieter tinnitus prior to the Curcumin?

25. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Why is the 8g the magic number? Is this documented anywhere? I recall trying around 1200 mg Curcumin in 2020, and all it did for me was give me horrible nausea and then, possibly a spike. I might have taken Turmeric, which isn't good so far as salicylates go, so this time, I am going to take Curcumin isolate, and see what happens.

26. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      For anyone reading this thread, make sure you are taking cuyrcumin over Turmeric, as the high salicylate content may be what spiked this poster's tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 2
    27. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Did the pure Curcumin make a difference?

28. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      That's great. Did your tinnitus disappear or reduce also?

29. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hey neighbour!

I hope you're keeping well. I am considering Curcumin for a relapse in tinnitus. I was hoping you would tell me that it has miraculously helped you?

30. alanisnotadj
      Batty

alanisnotadj Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1992 (got much worse in 2018)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      It reduced but it has not gone away. Hyperacusis is gone 99%.

• Like Like x 1