Turmeric with Curcumin Seems to Be Helping

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Dginobile, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Ctw
      Tired

Ctw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I wish I could find a support group in NY or CT. I'm a 45 minute drive to midtown!

2. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Bob90
      Busy

Bob90 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overexposure to loud music
      @GlennS Ah, that's a shame. The only brand of turmeric I've tried (because it luckily worked) was Nature Made brand. I have a base level to my tinnitus and turmeric never takes me below it but it has helped with spikes.

4. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      Well I took curcumin and had an allergic reaction to it. Couldn't breath properly and it took two days to pass. I didn't know it was the curcumin to begin with, as I'm prone to asthma attacks anyway, so I took it again a few days later and the exact same thing happened. So it was 100% the curcumin which was disappointing because I do have inflammation issues and I was really hoping it would help. Nevermind hey.

5. Paul38
      Gloomy

Paul38 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      table saw
    6. dan26
      Frustrated

dan26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very bad concussion motorcycle accident
      I currently have Nature's Nutrition Turmeric Curcumin with bioperine 1950mg because it was highly rated for purity from ConsumerLab. I take 1 a day. Maybe have to take 2. It says 3x a day. I will gradually get to that.

7. lentelonghi

lentelonghi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, Anxiety
      So... I landed in this thread and find it very interesting.

I drank pure ginger cold pressed for 5 days and realized that I felt much better, including my tinnitus getting less penetrant.

Then I switched to turmeric capsules for two days now and it feels less loud.

• Like Like x 1
    8. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Sorry to hear it didn't help you.

Do you have hearing loss?

9. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Older post, but are you still using tumeric?

10. B18c1vtech

B18c1vtech Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma??, poor diet, sleep, stress, etc..
      There are dozens of articles online about spices being traded worldwide possibly containing lead, which is of course extremely toxic to the nervous system. My ears are inflamed, and turmeric seems to help.

This is the bottle I got from Whole Foods here in the US.

Can someone please somehow assure me I am safe from lead?

11. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Consumer Reports tested turmeric and echinacea supplements for lead last year. I don’t see your brand among those tested, but you could consider switching to a brand they did test and did meet their strict criteria.

Here part of the article, with high lead brands listed. Full article at the link at the bottom of this post.

None of the products we tested exceeded the lead standards set by U.S. Pharmacopeia (USP), a nonprofit group (see “How to Choose Botanicals Wisely”). But seven had lead levels that exceeded CR’s stricter threshold. “No amount of lead is acceptable,” says James E. Rogers, Ph.D., director of food safety research and testing at CR.

A spokesperson for Dollar General said the company stopped selling its affected product (see below) in targeted areas while it analyzed CR’s test results. A spokesperson for CVS said the company “commissioned an independent third-party expert [to confirm] that these products meet or exceed all legal and regulatory requirements.”

The other products with lead levels that exceeded CR’s threshold are all sold by Nature’s Bounty companies. “Any lead present is in amounts that are safe,” says Ashley Dickerson, a Nature’s Bounty spokesperson. What’s more, Dickerson says, “most of the lead in the product is naturally occurring.” However, CR’s Rogers says, “other products we tested were able to keep lead levels under our threshold, so saying it is natural is not an excuse.”

Affected Products
      • CVS Health Turmeric Curcumin
      • CVS Health Echinacea
      • Finest Nutrition (Walgreens) Echinacea
      • Nature’s Bounty Echinacea, Whole Herb
      • Puritan’s Pride Premium Echinacea
      • Rexall (Dollar General) Whole Herb Echinacea
      • Sundown Naturals Whole Herb Echinacea

Full article:

https://www.consumerreports.org/supplements/testing-turmeric-and-echinacea-for-potency-and-purity/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. Mr Possible

Mr Possible Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      EDM Concert
      Imagine what happens when you take the time to work on detoxing your body and mind (negative thoughts) for about a month or so (a month is nothing compared to a lifetime of toxing the body). Do lots of daily water fasts, couple of dry fasts and THEN take the Turmeric an Curcumin supplements on empty stomach.

Easier said than done of course... :)

13. B18c1vtech

B18c1vtech Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Awesome. Thank you for this. I still think it's not worth the risk. Never know if a company will suddenly source Turmeric from another supplier, and the risk of intaking any amount of lead is just not worth it to me. Sucks because it really seems to help.

• Like Like x 1
    14. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Not trying to shill for a brand, but Nootropics Depot does a ton of in house testing on all of their products. They are an actual professional grade lab. That being said, their products are priced at a very large premium relative to other manufacturers. For me, if a supplement is questionable, I only feel comfortable purchasing from ND.

Mods, if this is inappropriate of me to reference, please remove.

https://nootropicsdepot.com/in-house-analytical-laboratory/

https://nootropicsdepot.com/curcumin-piperine-capsules/

"In order to know if a quality product has been created, it must be tested. At Nootropics Depot, every incoming batch is tested for identity, purity, and for the presence of dangerous and toxic compounds such as heavy metals. Nootropics Depot has been regularly expanding its lab since launching the company in 2013. We are always adding new equipment, personnel, and capabilities to advance our ability to scientifically analyze products, and to assist in the research and development of new nootropics and supplements. Our efforts will never be complete. We will always be working towards expanding and improving our lab. Your support of Nootropics Depot helps to ensure we can keep pushing our mission forward. New capabilities include the acquisition of an Ultra Performance Liquid Chromatograph (UPLC) and an Ultra Performance Liquid Chromatographic Mass Spectrometer (UPLC-MS) provided by the industry leading Waters, a Headspace Gas Chromatograph (HS-GC) built by Thermo Fisher, and a cutting edge High Performance Thin Layer Chromatograph (HPTLC) provided by the founders of the technology Camag. These upgrades give the analytical chemists at Nootropics Depot the ability to test all incoming batches quickly and efficiently at a lower cost than ever before."

• Like Like x 2
    15. B18c1vtech

B18c1vtech Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Awesome, this makes me feel much better! You never know for sure, but they do seem pretty legit, and confident behind their products. Gonna go find some of this and try it out. Much appreciated!

• Like Like x 1
    16. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The world may never know..
      I just bought some “high strength turmeric” it’s 600 mg pills. Let’s see what happens.
      It doesn’t say “curcuma” but the back says “curcuma long root.” Is that the same thing? If not I’ll pick some up once I’m done with this bottle.

17. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Write the whole ingredient list, if it's just turmeric powder (spice) it's not bioavailable

18. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’m not sure but I’m starting to think I got the wrong one. Let me know! Thanks

Attached Files:

19. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah that's not good. Eat it together with oil and it will be bioavailable at least, but that's the same thing as turmeric spice which I suspect is much much cheaper than what you paid for that bottle

• Like Like x 1
    20. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks. Ugh annoying I always get it wrong. Ah well. If anything it should help my stomach and joints.

21. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      People get confused about turmeric/curcumin. It's the same thing. Curcumin is what makes turmeric yellow and it's the most beneficial compound in the root.

There's a huge amount of bad supplements out there, not only curcumin. Like reishi for example. Many people buy pills with ground reishi in them, which does absolutely nothing in the body since it has to be extracted.

22. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So then should I look for curcumin extract? I want to try one thing at a time.

23. Christiaan
      Inspired

Christiaan Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2016: headphones, 2020: worsened thanks to Rammstein
    24. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah find a good extract. I just bought my first two extracts myself, only used raw turmeric before. There's scientific studies that compare different extracts. I bought one with the NovaSol formula which is supposed to be the best, but the pills also seem pretty weak for their cost so it probably balances itself out.

• Like Like x 1
    25. Ricardo1991
      Tired

Ricardo1991 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Okay thanks, I'll look into it.

26. morgothaod

morgothaod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      No supplement ever seem to help me out.

27. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The only one I would recommend to people is Reishi, helps against anxiety but not tinnitus itself.

28. B18c1vtech

B18c1vtech Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I stupidly took 2 grams of curcumin (2g of curcumin, not 2g of turmeric) after a loud noise exposure.

Am I going to die?

29. Bambam0
      Cool

Bambam0 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock 'n Roll
    30. B18c1vtech

B18c1vtech Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the link. I've heard turmeric especially has been known to contain lead, so I'll try not to overdue it. Taking 2g occasionally at most, hopefully this helps.