UCI — Acoustic and Electrical Stimulation for the Treatment of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by HootOwl, Aug 1, 2019.

1. bobthebuilder

bobthebuilder Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, sleep deprivation, amitriptyline (?), ptsd (?)
      I participated in the acoustic and electrical stimulation study a couple years ago - interesting experience, would recommend to anyone who has time and resources to participate, regardless of whether it helps with the tinnitus or not.

I only did electrical stimulation using external electrodes (on the skull / in the ear canal) and didn't experience change in my tinnitus (though I know of others who did).

Am hoping to go back to try the trans-tympanic electrical stimulation... I would give anything to experience the minute of silence that others have experienced while the current is being applied.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. hopes

hopes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      They seemed to have great results in this study. Do you know why they didn't push forward?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. Joeseph Stope
      Innocent

Joeseph Stope Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise? infection? negative stress? other?
      How much did the therapy cost?

Of course an implant would mean an operation.

Still it's great to have something to hope for... some sort of shining light. Maybe this one will work for some of us.

4. Gb3

Gb3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sshl
      Aren’t they recruiting for it?

5. Gb3

Gb3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sshl
      It’s a trial. Not approved yet.

6. bobthebuilder

bobthebuilder Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, sleep deprivation, amitriptyline (?), ptsd (?)
      They are still working on it - trying to develop a device that can be used on ongoing basis. The results from the trans-tympanic stimulation are just transitory as others have said. Once the current stops, the tinnitus comes back.
      Like Gb3 noted it was a trial. Not an approved therapy. Free to participate in the trial of course (in fact you get paid $15-20 per hour), but the primary goal is to collect data rather than treatment.

Interesting experience though if you have the time and resources to participate.

7. Malamute

Malamute Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Hope, I think it's too expensive for health insurance. The chances of success are similar to those of CI implants - the electrical stimulation will eliminate / improve the tinnitus in most cases. The CI operation is not approved / paid for because of tinnitus - only in the case of deafness.