Ultrasonic Tooth Cleaning Spike

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jantine, May 11, 2017.

1. Jantine

Jantine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Hi guys,

I went to the dental hygienist this Tuesday. I regret it so much because he used this ultrasonic tooth cleaning method on me and ever since I'm experiencing this unusual spike. Do you guys have experience with ultrasonic tooth cleaning? And do you know if the spike is temporary or permanent?

Please tell me, I'm out of hope. Just recovered from a depression from a spike and now this...

2. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I intentionally ask my dental hygienist not to clean my teeth using this method for the very reason you mentioned. Chances are it's a temporary spike.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      It should be temporary. Next time ask for traditional hand tool cleaning.

4. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Never had a problem and i have it done 2/3 times a year.

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Are you feeling better?

6. Engineer
      Creative

Engineer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely acoustic hearing loss
      When I was new to my T, I requested hand cleanings. I've since been doing ultrasonic, but I do wear plugs during the cleaning. I don't suspect I am suffering hearing loss during my cleanings. When my condition was new, it was easy to react to things like this, and it really sucked. So easy to ruminate and think your T has been exacerbated. This condition sucks enough already, without the anxiety of constantly worrying about it getting worse. Best wishes dealing with these issues, they get better with time. Trebor

7. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      The ultrasonic scaler also gave me a spike... it was a sleepless night, needless to say. Never again. They'll have to scrape my teeth manually from now on.

8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      A temporary spike, right?

9. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, it was temporary.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Engineer
      Creative

Engineer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely acoustic hearing loss
      Anything for me was temporary.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jantine

Jantine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Hi guys,

Thanks for your response! The T unfortunately is still going strong, no turning back to the baseline. The cleaning was about 15 minutes, I can't believe this has caused the permanent spike...

I'm totally depressed again after 7 years of fighting. How to cope?

• Hug Hug x 3
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jantine

Jantine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Hi guys,

I have had T for 7 years now with two permanent spikes that I habituated to.

Now, after just recovering from one spike I went to the hygienist who used a ultrasonic drill on me which make my T spike again.

Now, three weeks later I'm starting to fall down the rabbit hole again. I can't get any relief and hear my T even when I don't hear it. I'm totally losing it, not only because of the T but also because of the inner ear pain, irritation and plopping sound that comes with it.

Are you guys familiar with pain that comes with spikes? I lost all hope and don't know what to do. I was friends with T, sometimes I even enjoyed it when I tried to sleep and now with the pain it has become a living hell.

I run a big tech start-up, have a nice house and car, awesome friends and I love life but the depression is totally taking over. What to do?

So are you guys familiar with the irritation/pain/plopping? Is it T, H, TMJ? Will is go away?

13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Do you hear plopping sound after every sound you hear? If so, it could be TTTS...

14. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Janine,
      It sounds like eustation tube dysfunction and maybe a little Hyperacusis.
      I would see your doctor as a nose spray should help.
      Love glynis

• Useful Useful x 1
    15. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Not exactly sure what you mean by irritation? It could be hyperacusis that you're describing. The pain could be the result of inner ear damage. How is your hearing? I recall reading about pain receptors in the cochlea. Scientists hypothesize that this could be the cause of hyperacusis as well as inner ear pain.

Again, not exactly sure what you mean by plopping? It could be middle ear pressure fluctuations. Perhaps because of Eustachian tube dysfunction. Besides the long term tinnitus, do you have any other ear or hearing related diagnosis?

Just to let you guys know, TMJ (temporomandibular joint) refers to the joint itself, in health and disease. The proper abbreviation is therefore TMD which stands for temporomandibular disorder, or temporomandibular dysfunction.

When you have TMD it usually becomes apparent when you move the jaw. You may hear a sharp, bone on bone kind of clicks, a grinding sound and sensation coming from the joint, and even feel pain.

All of these things should be evaluated by a medical doctor. I can only speculate.

Will it go away? Well, you have listed a number of conditions. I don't want to give you false promises, but judging by what I have read on this forum and elsewhere, and by my own experience, I would say that some of these conditions do get better with time. This is all highly individual, depending on severity, etc. I sincerely hope you will get better!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    16. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So it's been 20 days?

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jantine

Jantine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Hi guys,

A month ago I went to the hygienist. He used a ultrasonic cleaning tool on me. Now, 4 weeks in, the spike lasts and I have this stuffed feeling and pain in my left ear.

I really don't know what to do anymore.

I have had t for years and years and now it's going to the roof and I'm in so much pain. What should I do? I just cannot cope anymore.

Please help, will it go down? And the pain? Is it common?

18. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am so sorry...

Please keep in mind that ears always take forever (months) to recover. There is still a chance that you will get better after another 3-5 months...

19. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I feel your pain. Exactly the same happened to me too. The dental hygienist insisted she used this method on me, even after I said I was very sound sensitive. I was not strong enough to stand up for myself and say no!

I have to say that it definitely caused me some major damage. I can also say that after a few months (3 or 4) it started getting back to baseline, and I started having better days again. Unfortunately I am dealing now with more spikes caused by eye steroids, so I can't tell you if it would have continued to get better, but I think it would have. Be strong!

• Hug Hug x 1
    20. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      Sorry to hear you are going through this, I am going through a similar experience, massive spike from an MRI hope it settles for you.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jantine

Jantine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      I'm so sorry you went through the same. I'm losing hope, do you think it will be ok?

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jantine

Jantine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      No, still hasn't gone back to the baseline and I'm losing hope. Don't know what to do. T is so high pitched that it hurts my ears constantly.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jantine

Jantine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      And no turning back to the baseline, so will it be chronical?

24. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Jantine.
      I don't think your auditory system has fully been healed/cured of hyperacusis (sensitivity to sound) The things that you discribe: pain in the ears etc makes me believe this. Do you listen to music through headphones? Or attend places where loud music is played regularly. You might want to consider using "sound enrichment" at night. Buy a sound machine and place it by your bedside. Set the volume to low and have it playing throughout the night until morning. This will help to desensitise your auditory system and treat your hyperacusis which I feel you have.

If you are able to get a referral to see a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist, that's trained in the mangement of tinnitus, I think it will be helpful. Please read my article:Tinnitus, A Personal View in my "started Threads".

All the best
      Michael

25. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      It took me about 3-4 months to get back to a good place again. Just try and give your ears all the rest they can get at the moment. These spikes unfortunately can last a while. You just have to ride it out until it calms down again.

• Hug Hug x 1
    26. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @Jantine Did your spike ever go down?

27. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013

could it be tts?

28. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      What do you mean traditional hand cleaning tools ? You mean no drill/ ultra sonic machine they use .
      I am up for my next appointment and he uses drill type /sonic brush type machine to clean.
      I wonder if he can clean without any type of drill/ultrasonic machine ..not sure even if that's possible.

29. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yes they absolutely can. The reason they don't want to do this is because it takes a while longer and takes more effort on their part. So basically they are just being lazy. Just ask for a manual cleaning and they should do it. If not, you should probably find another dentist.

30. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      My dental hygienist does a bit of both and always has. She said they use the ultrasonic only for difficult plaque, and she checked my teeth before starting and let me know how many spots would need the ultrasonic.

And without me even asking, she told me that she'd set the ultrasonic on the lowest setting to make it a bit quieter.

I didn't even realize that was possible but it was a noticeable difference. I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe ask your dentist to do the same.

• Agree Agree x 1