Unbearable Buzzing While Trying to Sleep

Discussion in 'Support' started by CrystalB, May 29, 2019.

1. CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was wondering if anyone else experiences anything like this.

It doesn’t happen every night but it does frequently enough for me to be annoyed by it.

When I’m trying to fall asleep or have been asleep and try to go back to sleep I can be drifting off and my ears will start buzzing and vibrating until I fully wake up. I’ll wake up and then I’ll drift off again and it does it again like my whole head is vibrating -- strangest feeling ever!

So I have to fully wake up again and eventually I can fully go back to sleep.

I have no idea if that makes sense, but I am reaching out to see if anyone else experiences this also, and what could be causing it?

My ENT believes I have ETD and that may be the cause of my tinnitus but they don’t know for sure.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Do you have a history of loud noise exposure, loud music, concerts, guns, anything loud?

This will rule/outrule the possibility of hidden hearing loss/cochlear nerve damage being a culprit.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Melike
      Studious

Melike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most probably TMJD and neck issues that came with it.

It looks like your mission here is to convince every single person on this forum that their T is caused by loud music / noise exposure. Seriously, every single post of yours is about how everything must be related to any known / unknown acoustic trauma. What exactly do you aim for? Is it something that you do to console yourself because you'll feel less angry when you convince everyone that loud noise should be the only culprit?

Lets say you did it and you were right. How is it going to help solve our problem now? The damage is done. Please stop making people feel even sadder. Please do not be a constant reminder to people of their past mistakes. We already have been full of sadness, anger and regret for a really long time.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Melike
      Studious

Melike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most probably TMJD and neck issues that came with it.

Hey,

I experience a similar thing from time to time but not quite the same. Mine feels like more of a head & ear pressure and I feel like I can hear my blood flow x 100 times in my ears. Generally happens when I travel to other cities or when I am really stressed and tired. I think bruxism and muscular tension might be the culprit, but that's just a possibility.

• Like Like x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Not that I know of. It’s just a really odd sensation that happens only when I’m about to fall asleep.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I do have a lot of pressure in my ears, I try to pop them to help with the pressure feeling but they go back to feeling that way. I just don’t understand why it happens when I’m about or trying to fall asleep. So weird.

7. daiso

daiso Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      When I lie down flat and about to fall asleep or about to wake up from sleep, my right ear would make a grumbling noise and I believe it was actually my blood flow. The weird thing is, it would disappear completely as soon as I regain consciousness. If I side-sleep to my left, or even just slightly tilted to my left, the grumbling would not happen. It's quite possible that this particular posture changes the blood flow enough to stop that. Maybe you can experiment with different postures as well.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Bert67

Bert67 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      I have it all the time, from Mirtazapine. I have an engine vibrating my head, sounds like refrigerator or AC compressor. Anyone got any advice on masking?

9. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sound pillow is the only thing that has helped me.

10. Bill_
      Balanced

Bill_ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1. loud Concert | 2. loud club | 3. tympanometry
      Try refrigerator noise on YouTube. Works for me!

11. Junaid_t

Junaid_t Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music exposure
      hey Lilah, do you find the sleep pillow speakers perfectly safe?

I had a spike next morning after using them for the first time but I think that might be just because I’m suffering from anxiety. I had the volume at mid level on my phone.

12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If I were you, I would interpret the spike as the pillow not being safe for Me.

You might want to use speakers away from your bed to play the masking sound.

13. Junaid_t

Junaid_t Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music exposure
      thanks bill I had another spike using them second time.

14. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I like the Sound Pillow. I can't sleep without it. My volume is set on 25/40 on pink noise. Sometimes my tinnitus is more intense but I have avoided increasing the volume so far. I can still hear my tinnitus slightly over it. I also sleep with the fan on, and thunderstorms sound to create a more cozy atmosphere, but I can rely on only the Sound Pillow if I have to. In terms of safety, it is pretty safe. I am a side sleeper or I sleep on my belly, so sometimes my ear is right on the speaker. But I think it is safe enough. My tinnitus does react to other sounds, so sometimes I do sense that my tinnitus has changed in the morning.