Unsure What Suddenly Brought on My Tinnitus — A Bit of Luck with CBD, Melatonin and N-Acetylcysteine

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by James O, Jan 11, 2021.

1. James O

James O Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello all,

I am new to Tinnitus Talk having just discovered it. I have been suffering from tinnitus for the past 6 months or so. It came on suddenly and no cause has yet been identified. I have tried various treatments with varying degrees of success in moderating the ringing, but no real success story of yet in stopping it significantly.

I have had a bit of luck with CBD (THC free, as anything not THC free actually seemed to make it worse), Melatonin, and N-Acetylcysteine. It actually feels like if I don't get a good night's sleep, my ringing is so much worse or at least more noticeable. So maybe that is why the CBD and Melatonin have helped in the past. I seem to get good sleep when using either CBD or Melatonin. I am tempted to use both and see how that works.

I also have an appointment with a ENT from an academic medical center near me this week. I will share my findings and their recommendations with the forum.

Hello to all again.

J

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @James O.

Tinnitus can appear for no reason but usually something causes it and many things can. The most common is exposure to loud noise. Before the tinnitus onset, did you frequently listen to music through headphones, earbuds, or regularly used a headset? Listened to loud music at home, in the car or go to places where loud music was played? If yes to any of my questions then you probably have noise induced tinnitus. Other forms of loud noise exposure can cause it too.

If it's not noise induced then it could be an underlying medical problem within your auditory system. When you are seen at ENT, hopefully you'll be told the cause and advised of possible treatment. Please click on the link below and read my post: New to tinnitus what to do. I advise that you don't use any type of headphones even at low volume.

Michael

New to Tinnitus, What to Do? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      James O

James O Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had my ENT evaluation yesterday. He determined that my tinnitus is likely due to my high frequency sensorineural hearing loss that was diagnosed at the visit. As a result, he recommended measures to limit further nerve degradation and also to decrease aberrant acoustic nerve firing. Of course avoiding loud noises and not using headphones with loud music etc is very Important, so the first thing I learned on this forum was correct!!

He also mentioned many of the things I had found seemed to work, including B vitamins, N-Acetylcysteine and Magnesium.

He did mention some emerging research surrounding CBD. Turns out that CBD is very potent at treating certain forms of epilepsy and that a prevailing theory in some forms of tinnitus is that the acoustic nerve is actually exhibiting "seizure like" behavior that causes the tinnitus. So, CBD has shown promise in their early research as a potential treatment. He definitely thought it was worth a try to see if CBD would help me, along with the nutritional supplements. He did emphasize the CBD needs to be THC free, so it should be sourced from a reliable place that can guarantee the contents with a certificate of analysis. Good to know as I hadn't paid that much attention to that in my prior purchases of CBD and some seemed to work better than others so it could have been related to THC content.

Gives me some hope that my tinnitus can be moderated with the above regime. He gave me info on a few products that his patients have reported varying degrees of success with in tinnitus due to sensorineural hearing loss.

One of them seems to be intriguing as it seems to combine a good number of the nutritional supplements, Melatonin for good sleep, as well as THC free CBD capsules. Could be a good one stop shop for me instead of buying everything piecemeal and remembering to take them all.

The product of interest to me is called RingBeGone. Has anyone tried it of yet?

I plan to give it a whirl myself, so I will update my progress in how it works for me. I have to order it from the ringbegone.com website first, so probably won't be able to start it for another few days. I haven't seen it in drug stores but I will look there as well.

Fingers Crossed! I definitely feel better that at least there is a possibility of my ringing even decreasing some.

J

4. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently unknown; likely noise-induced
      Honestly, there has to be something to this. I had a very rough night of sleep last night, and I've noticed today's noise is particularly piercing.

Melatonin is great as a sleep aid, and this is coming from a long-term user. Just be sure not to take too high of a dose. You should not be going against 3 mg. Sorry in advance if you already knew this, but I see too many going with 5 mg or 10 mg versions as if that's supposed to help them more than the lower doses, but the opposite can be true.

One thing I really have no experience with is CBD oil, and now I am tempted to try it after reading your post and several others. I think it is key as you mentioned to take it without THC, because that has often been reported (especially through consumption of marijuana) to spike.

I will also second your use of magnesium, as that is probably the one supplement I've been taking thus far where I think a difference is felt. Which version are you taking specifically? This is important. Many cheap magnesium supplements provide it in the oxide form, which is commonly agreed to be the least effective form. I am taking magnesium glycinate and would highly recommend it as an option. I have also read many endorsements for both citrate and aspartate, among others. Basically: no oxide.
      Wow, this has to be one of the most knowledgeable responses I've seen someone receive from their ENT. As you might glean from many, many posts here on the forum, many ENTs and audiologists both prove themselves to be very ignorant of this condition, often leaving their patient with a "sorry, nothing I can do" and a bill. The fact that yours at least understands what sort of things you should be treating should inspire some comfort and confidence within you.

Given that he has also advocated for CBD, I am all the more interested in trying it! I'm not sure I've seen any discussion on any specific research for it being a treatment here on the forums, but there are many as I mentioned before that praise its value.
      I checked this out, and the product seems fine in theory, but then again I don't see what's so special about it. It is a combination of commonly used supplements that are generally well-regarded here (B-vitamins, magnesium, and NAC) as well as melatonin. I imagine it's a fairly effective sleep aid.

I'm hesitant that you should even consider giving them money though because they're certainly not a noteworthy supplier, and the name alone reeks of snake oil. If you're unaware, there is a lot of that junk specifically formulated to address this symptom. It's utterly cruel.

Personally, I would advise just getting each of the ingredients piecemeal and trying at your own pace. I am not sure how much more (or less) that would cost by comparison.

I seriously hope you find yourself both able to get to sleep and find greater respite from this awful thing.

5. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      I've tried CBD several times. It doesn't really seem to do much.

6. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Maybe you didn't take it consistently enough

7. Paint girl
      Artistic

Paint girl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car accident/ head injury.
      What is the reasoning behind NAC?

I took CBD gummies a few times and last night I had waves of anxiety with it. So weird.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. RunningMan
      Stressed

RunningMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      HiFrq ~2000, Increased 2022, LoFrq ~2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise - clubs, stereos, cycles, headphones, engines,etc
      I've tried CBD oil at various doses and various types, such as with CBN, CBG, and both broad and full spectrum. None appeared to make any difference for me as far as sleep, tinnitus, or anxiety.

• Helpful Helpful x 1