Update Post! Very Positive

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by GH123, Nov 16, 2017.

1. GH123

GH123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/07/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dont know? Maybe loud headphones over ear? Not sure
      Well, I’ve offficially had tinnitus for a year and I never thought I’d be where I am today. I have gone back to living a completely normal life, the only thing I do different is just be a bit more conscious of how loud things are. That’s it. Do not stress about accidental loud noise, it’s something you can’t control and worrying about it will eat you up. I haven’t thought about this forum or even my tinnitus really in the past 6-7 months. It’s not even an annoyance in my life anymore.

Going to get grim here:

I got tinnitus last year when I was 15 years old, and I had a set suicide date for myself if it didn’t go away. I had 9 4mg bars of Xanax and a bottle of captain morgans. It was a -10 degree night and I went for a walk out in the woods near this pond I know. I easily could have ended my life that night and no one could have done anything about it. I was alone in the woods 10 minutes away from any help and no one knew where I was. I sat there for hours just thinking. I came very close to downing those pills and that bottle and just sitting next to the frozen pond till I succumbed to the effects of that. I don’t know why I didn’t that night, maybe a part of me knew it wasn’t my time and that I could get through this.

Now I’m not happy now, I still have depression and I’m working on that. I just want all of you to know it is possible and that you can go back to normal life. Something good came of this, I got very interested in neuroscience and it has been a passion of learning about it ever since and I’d love to go into a career for it. I don’t know if I will pursue tinnitus as part of my career as I don’t know what the future holds for me. Getting tinnitus helped me as a person, it causes me to mature faster and just work on fixing myself. To those struggling right now, YOU WILL get through it.

• Like Like x 11
      • Winner Winner x 7
      • Hug Hug x 3
    2. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @GH123 , Thank you for posting your story, and congratulations on beating this thing.

So, what did you do to get past the tinnitus? Is it gone? Have you habituated?

Anyways, thanks again for posting your story. Having another example of someone who has come out the other side of this will help many who read it, and let them know that there is hope.

3. Casper

Casper Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music at concert
      Hey @GH123, thanks a lot for posting your story. I think the stories where people go back to normal lives even though they don't recover completely are just as, if not more, important than the success stories where it goes away completely. I'm more than ten months in now, and at some point I may have to accept that I'm stuck with this for life and figure out how to accept that. I'm really glad to hear that you're doing better now.

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      How loud is your tinnitus now?

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      welcome back to post a really positive update for us. It illustrates that even though T may cause many of us the dark thought of harming ourselves, one doesn't have to listen to the T bully to do the unthinkable. Give it enough time for the body to absorb the alien sensation and be ready for some suffering at first. Your story and many stories of similar nature I have read illustrate the fact T is really not an end game. Life can be happy or normal again. Just need to hang tight during the tough time. Take care. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Did T subside? More info please...I wanna know if it lowered for you or if you are just enduring it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Well that's certainly a success story that can give hope to a lot of people here, including myself. Good show!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    8. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      """"""""""

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Like Like x 1