Valsalva Manoeuver IS DANGEROUS

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zeneth, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      Just want people to know this if they're going through similar problems..
      I've seemed to have ETD for a year now and my ears used to get full all the time
      and I would pop them by either doing the valsalva (pinch the nose and blow) or by moving my jaw (opening and closing in a certain way).

2 days ago I got this feeling in my left ear, where when I talk it would be really loud and vibrate... weird feeling... The next morning I popped my ears and that went away but it came back soon after and I couldn't pop it anymore - when I did the valsalva it just went through my right ear..

Soon they got fuller and I was getting sick of it and decided to keep doing the valsalva until it finally popped...

I wasn't blowing TOO hard either... but when I popped them, It seemed like I went completely deaf and basically got the opposite symptoms, now when I talk I can't hear my voice out of that ear, and the tinnitus has spiked...

I don't know what to do now, my ears just seem broken...

Sorry for typos or anything, really hard to focus right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Amiel

Amiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Why haven't you seen an ENT?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zeneth
      Wishful

Zeneth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe noise?
      I've had tinnitus for a year now and I have seen ENTs many times, they can't really do anything.

4. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      The valsalva maneuver is how I messed up my left ear and suffered from hyperacusis for a few years because of it. Thankfully it's recovered but I will never do the valsalva maneuver again.

Anyway, similar to myself it seems you might have experienced barotrauma from the valsalva maneuver - go to a doctor ASAP and get on a course of high dose corticosteroids (like prednisolone) - it will help you limit whatever damage you may have caused.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Santiago Biagi
      Yeehaw

Santiago Biagi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One exposure on loud club
      I'd like to add to this thread that since doing valsalva my ear pressure was staying, Today i haven't done it once and pressure is mostly gone. It might do more harm than good for some people.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I tried a variation of Valsalva based on a YouTube video and it made me instantly worse. Maybe it still is worse a week later. Just wanted to bump this post.

I'm not going to try anything like that until recommended by a doctor who I can trust. I've yet to find one but am hopeful about an appointment coming up soon.

• Agree Agree x 1