Valsalva Method and Squealing Ears?

Discussion in 'Support' started by RaZaH, Sep 29, 2015.

1. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      When I do the valsalva manouver , my left ear will squeal like a pig ..for real , you would hear it standing next to me. If I do the valsalva often enough it will stop and stay ok for maybe a day or so.

Also , my T gets slightly better after my ear stops squealing.

Anyone know what is going on ? I would ask a doctor but they dont know anything :p

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      This is strange , when I wake up my T is absolutely through the roof ...always !
      This morning I tried to de-squeal my ears when I woke up and it reduced my morning t by 90%.
      I wonder if I have some ear problems?

3. SteveSkis92
      Dumb

SteveSkis92 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity from Electronic Cigarettes (Propylene Glycol)
      I really don't have any medical backing to support this idea, but it almost seems to me that you may have middle ear pressure problems. This is again a wild guess, but thought I would comment.

I think I already know the answer to this, but was your T caused by hearing loss?

Have a great day!
      -Steve

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I think it was caused by hearing loss , I quit Clonazepam cold turkey ...couple of days after I lost some high freq hearing , two weeks after that ..T

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Finally going to a Dr to have this squealing checked out , 99% chance nothing will come out of that but seems a bit insane not to have it checked out.

6. Onnie
      No Mood

Onnie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      '09/1.0: Loud concert '15/2.0: Cause unsure
      And how about the clicking noise? Do you still experience that?

7. matt89
      Studious

matt89 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Experience the same thing. It's a defect of the eustacian tube. Never had it before.
      Asked my ENT about this. He tested everything and said the eustachian tube is okay.

My theory is the following. After an acoustic trauma or loud noise exposure the eustachian tube is affected as well like you break your arm. Unfortunately you cannot treat the eustachian tube like a broken arm. So you have to live with this defective eustachian tube which makes sounds like a pig when you are doing the vasalva manouver.
      As long as the eustachian tube is working and not closed a surgical operation (balloon dilation) doesn't make sense.

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      Mine does the same. I wonder if my T is also related to this?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm not sure the valsalva maneuver is a good idea. At least if you do it make sure to do it gently. If you think about it, if you are congested and do the valsalva maneuver you can push drainage into your eustatian tubes. It's better to plug your nose and swallow.

I developed a more advanced technique of clearing. It's a bit difficult to do, but when you open your mouth your eustatian tubes open up. I open my mouth cover it with the back of my hand creating a seal, then plug my nose and swallow. If done right this sucks air in through the ears instead of blowing air out.

• Informative Informative x 2
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Indeed , I did not have this before and its on my left side , same as my worse T side.

yep, kind of figured an ENT would be of no help , I wonder if ENT´s are of any use in the Nose and Throat part, sure hope so..

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RaZaH
      Cheeky

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Yep , clicking noise when I talk ...and when I walk briskly...... or up/down stairs ?
      Also in my left ear ?

12. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      @RaZaH How about trying Sudafed nasal spray? I have read on the forum some people used it and it reduced their T volume. I think this is how we may figure out if our T related to possible ETD or not.

13. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      I have been down this route. Even if the ET is slightly defective (which I know mine is - I get these weird slurping and glugging sounds in my affected ear), they won't be able to detect it. All the tests they will do are for total blockage of the tubes, not partial.

• Like Like x 1
    14. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I also had this but when I was younger. It happened every time I walked in stairs. It almost felt like the clicking came from inside my head somewhere. Over the years it disappeared though. I never gave it much thought or see some kind of connection to it and my T.

• Informative Informative x 1
    15. whatisittho

whatisittho Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi RaZaH, did you ever get a definitive answer for what this is? I get the squealing with valsalva culminating in loud crackly unblock and my coworker at next desk can hear! ENT said all fine and keep doing valsalva daily to "practise opening ETs". Not sure if doing damage, I do valsalva forcefully and repeatedly..

16. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Be gentle. Especially if one ear is open. Coax it clear. Put a bit of pressure, swallow a few times. Wait a minute, repeat. I have read you can blow your eardrum.