Voluntary Assisted Dying / Euthanasia for Tinnitus Patients (Pegasos Swiss Association, Switzerland)

Discussion in 'Support' started by ajc, Dec 23, 2019.

1. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

destroy all creatures. they cannot be regenerated.
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not to mention setting up very likely situations like kids saying "come on mom, go do it now before your medical care eats up all the inheritance " to parrnts.

I think suicide should be legal even though I think it's lionized on here to a silly degree. But, it is clearly getting into some thorny territory for all these reasons

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. PeteJ
      Depressed

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I agree 200%.

3. PeteJ
      Depressed

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      It's not just "what tinnitus does to people."

It's not natural to have loud screaming tinnitus and if your fluctuations are rare or non existent, it makes it worse.

I know mild tinnitus is tolerable. I know what that is like. Many here probably do. Even people who have no knowledge of this forum know. Whether it's temporary after a concert or it sticks around, it's tolerable. I know people in real life with mild tinnitus. I think that the focus on tinnitus by the community and media is regarding this state of tinnitus.

People can be annoyed by it but most habituate to it. It doesn't destroy their lives.

But, when volume and severity worsens, it's difficult for others to contemplate its impact because no one else can hear it. When it worsens from mild to something else, few can relate and even then, it's a subjective nightmare only the tinnitus sufferer knows.

Our society and medical professionals do almost nothing to help or even try and help. They don't even try to support via disability financially. We have to make it into a psychological issue primarily and even then, there seems to be little sympathy.

I actually think I am repeating myself with these points and it's kind of redundant in a helpless and pointless way but I don't know what else to do or what else can I post about?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Sleep deprivation and sound torture are both effective tools at breaking people, because nobody can withstand this for very long.
      Yet we are expected to somehow "get on with our lives".

If being brutally tortured around the clock with no way to escape isn't enough of a valid reason to be euthanized, I'm not quite sure what is.
      We would all extend this courtesy to our pets, should they find themselves in a similar predicament.

If anything, there should be an exception for extreme Tinnitus sufferers world wide on purely humanitarian grounds, regardless of whether their country of residence supports it or not.
      One should not be forced to travel to Switzerland and pay this much of their hard earned money for this service.
      Dying with dignity should be your basic human right.

Nobody should be forced to live under these insane circumstances.
      Nobody.

• Agree Agree x 6
    5. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      They should be allowed to try experimental medicines if they should be allowed to suicide. One medicine in particular is HPN-07 + NAC.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I agree.
      But in today's world (which is pretty much run by lawyers), they prefer that you anonymously kill yourself, rather than run the chance at being sued should something go wrong.

Something like that would be perceived as a huge liability by them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      I thought President Trump passed legislation that allowed sufferers to have access to drugs that are still in the testing stage. ?? Or is that just for terminally ill patients?

8. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I think it was for terminal illnesses and the company has to agree to give the drug. There is also expanded use policies that would allow for us to work with our doctors and the pharma company to get a drug. The ultimate decision lies with the company.

9. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Has anyone ever mentioned euthanasia in front of their doctors?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. Sonic17
      Wishful

Sonic17 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      Yes, in front of my psychiatrist when I first got tinnitus. He did not like me talking about this and I could see it made him uncomfortable... gave me antidepressants.

11. Sonic17
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      Well, now that COVID-19 is taking so many lives... for those who really want to die you could just become a frontline worker or an essential worker in an area with high rates of COVID-19. Could die at least helping others.

12. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Again it's not certain, given the high chance of surviving the disease.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ajc

ajc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Anyone can easily kill themselves with the exit bag method.

Anyone who really wants to kill themselves always finds a way.

I suggest face-to-face therapy before killing yourself.

• Informative Informative x 1
    14. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Good question! When I was on therapy, I only mentioned that I was considering suicide (this though has come back lately due to my recent worsening) and she gave me that look... how to describe... I just realised in a split of a second that it was pointless. She wouldn't understand. Who can understand how life is when everything is falling apart by an invisible disease that literally affects EVERYTHING 24/7?

Euthanasia can be a serious taboo.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Agree Agree x 3
    15. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      In addition the isolation that comes with severe tinnitus + hyperacusis. This is no life.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      @ajc What is this?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    17. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Both tinnitus and hyperacusis are horrid conditions on their own.
      Combine them and if severe enough, it is a death sentence.

I wish that we got even 1% of the attention that the COVID-19 virus is getting around the world.
      I'm listening to these politicians and in my mind I always replace the word "COVID-19" with "tinnitus".

Why can't we ever hear something like:

"We have now declared a world-wide emergency in a fight against invisible enemy, which is responsible for obliterating millions of lives around the globe.
      We have hired the worlds best scientists and gave them everything they need, as they work around the clock to eradicate this horrid condition.

No human being should be exposed to the unimaginable level of torture, that severe tinnitus & hyperacusis brings to the table and we will spare no expense until we find a medical solution to this nightmare."

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Winner Winner x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    18. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      I don't want to sound negative. I have thought of this, but we all know that this will never happen with tinnitus and hyperacusis. We are still years (or even decades) before we get something meaningful. I don't believe I will be able to survive till that day. This hyperacusis that appeared out of the blue is a totally different thing. I struggled to manage my tinnitus so far but I can't manage hyperacusis. Even if I survive long enough to experience a treatment, I will have wasted already my best years of life that I'm supposed to be productive and social. Living in other words. I am in a very bad place. I can't keep on.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 3
    19. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      I think it's a method to CBT by using a bag filled with inert gas to induce hypoxia.
      Too demanding in regards to technique. So since this thread is about euthanasia, if I had 10.000 EUR I would book a place for me there.

20. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Sadly I have to agree with your assessment.
      If tinnitus could be transferred like a flu, the world as we know it would be up in flames right now.
      This whole COVID-19 situation would seem like a non-issue, compared to the millions of bodies piling up under highrise buildings, bridges, hanging off trees, or gun suicides.

The outside world has absolutely no idea what kind of monster is lurking in the shadows.
      Until of course they get it themselves.

• Agree Agree x 11
    21. Sonic17
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      Yes, that is true.

22. Sonic17
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      Awww, you are going through a rough time. I have had tinnitus for nearly as long as you have, some days I cope better then others. On the days I want to end it all I do more self care... sleep, exercise, relax, pray... then things slowly turn around. No, the tinnitus does not get better but my coping does. I feel inspired when I read about people with tinnitus that have had it for longer then I have and manage on with their lives. Deep breaths... these feelings of despair will pass.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    23. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      I understand. I too began coping better after 3 years. That was until hyperacusis kicked in since several weeks already. It's a totally different situation. I don't think I can handle this. The few things that remained to do, after sacrificing so much due to tinnitus, are now also gone.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      This sure does sound kind of sketchy, as something could always go wrong and you might end up paralyzed on top of tinnitus.
      I don't think I would trust anything from this darknet, as far as the proper quality (or amount) is concerned anyway.

In my opinion the quickest, cheapest and most foolproof way would come from the barrel of a gun (assuming that some small calibres such as the 22 are being left out of the equation of course).
      I wouldn't feel comfortable going with anything smaller than a 9mm.

25. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      I totally understand, however firearms are not always the most effective. Factors such as the arm's power for the bullet to penetrate the skull or the possible kicking of the gun... can easily go wrong, thus ending-up with severe brain damage which would transform you in a plant-state existence. Unless of course you are a person who is familiar with guns. Personally I am not. The concept of the exit bag doesn't sound repulsive to me. If done right, it does provide a peaceful exit of this misery, but again the technique is demanding so I guess that things can easily go wrong.
      Killing yourself peacefully ain't easy. From what I've got right, hanging is the most reliable method, yet not the most peaceful one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. high frequencies

high frequencies Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      amoxicillin/dexketoprofen/tolperisone
      What about carbon dioxide or SN? Consider these methods.

27. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      I do consider SN, but it's rather fresh, thus not sufficiently documented in regards to peacefulness. Yet it's effective.

In addition I believe you refer to Carbon monoxide (not dioxide). I've looked on the charcoal method for that. I am not sure. It could be dangerous for other people that will supposedly find you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. high frequencies

high frequencies Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      amoxicillin/dexketoprofen/tolperisone
      Yes, that's right, I mean carbon monoxide CO. Instead of coal, I want to use a portable gas-powered electric generator, it seems more reliable but noisy. Initially, CO was my primary method, and SN was a backup. But after a more detailed study, SN seems to be more reliable and in case of failure does not cause long-term damage, unlike CO or the output bag.

29. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Super noisy. That brings up two major issues: First noise attracts attention, so you can be found and your attempt will end up vain and secondly your failed attempt can give you a worse tinnitus level (again due to that noise exposure).

30. Harley

Harley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Based on my own research, the most reliable way with a firearm would be to stick it inside the mouth at a slightly upwards angle, as that should sever and destroy any connections between the brain and the spine, which will then stop all the life supporting functions such as heart beat and breathing.

Skull penetration won't be an issue using this method, as the bullet will be penetrating the skull from the inside out, at which point you are most likely already dead anyway.

Even if the bullet would somehow miss its target, the ball of high pressure gasses that follows will finish the job.

This is especially true with a shotgun (preferably 12 gauge), as the combination of big caliber projectile combined with a big ball of hot gases would insure, that the head virtually explodes from the inside out in a split second.

I don't think there is a single person on this planet that would survive this.