Watching Movies with Perforated Eardrum and Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by anusha, Jan 2, 2018.

1. anusha
      Buzzed

anusha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 29 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      Hi,

I wanted to ask if it's ok to watch movies with a small ear drum hole and tinnitus?

I hate sitting at home on weekends and that would stress me out hearing to tinnitus. I watch movies often and was going to movies with cotton in my ear and cap on my head as a way to protect from sounds. Wearing ear plugs makes me hear to tinnitus more so I don't wear ear plugs in movie.
      So, is it ok to go to movies? I have tinnitus since 1 month due to ear drum perforation.

I reduced my caffeine and salt content. Avoiding alcohol and pop. Only think I like to do is watching movies I watched like 4 movies in this month. I read somewhere that someone stopped watching movies due to tinnitus fearing noise. I would like to ask opinion from this group. Thank you.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Can't you watch the movies at home (Netflix or other ways to download movies), where you are in control of the volume?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @anusha,
      Main thing is to keep water etc from going into the bad ear till it is better.
      Only my opinion would be give the Cinema a miss just for about 4 weeks and that will give your ear time to mend and settle the tinnitus.
      Cinemas can be really loud and you may need to use noise reduction plugs when ear better.
      Love glynis x

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That is key. Your middle ear doesn't have a membrane to protect it from the elements anymore, so you better be careful about what reaches your ear drum, as it can easily cross over to your middle ear.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      anusha
      Buzzed

anusha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 29 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      Thank you all. I will avoid for few months that's better. Thank you for your input. It's better to stick with netflix as @Bill Bauer mentioned.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      anusha
      Buzzed

anusha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 29 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      I am doing that. I am really being careful when showering and also when going out as the weather is extremely cold. Layering up my head by 4 layers. I was worried to go to movie in the beginning, I started getting middle seats away from the speakers and covered with cotton & head cap. I think I will completely avoid it. I took all the precautions except this going to movies. I hope I didn't cause anything stupid. Thank you for your prompt response.