Watching TV

Discussion in 'Support' started by Holly1987, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Since my tinnitus started I have stopped watching TV completely, mainly because I can barely hear it over my tinnitus unless it's up really loud. I was sooo excited about Stranger Things but I don't think I'll be able to watch it now.

Does anyone have any techniques for watching TV without causing any further damage?

Thank you so much.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Holly1987
      Please get a referral to ENT for tests on your auditory system. You may have some hearing loss and need hearing aid/s. You should be able to enjoy watching TV. ENT will hopefully sort you out.

Best of luck
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Michael, appointment is three months away so hopefully it won't get worse in that time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Onsdag

Onsdag Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress
      Subtitles?

• Like Like x 1
    5. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Watching Tv is hard for me as well. If you told me to tell you what i heard while watching the tv, i couldn't even guess..even if my life depended on it.

I do have to turn up the volume. Closed caption is a useful thing, i use it at times...

• Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    6. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I spoke with a TRT audiologist, and she said our masking sounds should not have words. So, watching TV or listening to music/radio is not good masking because they have words and thus doesn't help with habituation? Can someone pls explain this? I just bought a TV to provide distraction.

7. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      I think anything which helps provide a distraction from tinnitus is a good idea whether it constitutes "masking" or not, so I really wouldn't worry about what your audiologist said. Most people find that the time they most need "masking" is at night to help with sleep and tv probably isn't ideal for that (though some programmes can be boring enough to fall asleep to of course), better use a sound machine or sound app with a sound you find relaxing.