Weird Fleeting Tinnitus That Sounds Like TV Static for a Second

Discussion in 'Support' started by Diesel, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Diesel

Diesel Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      20+ Years of Live Music, Motorcycles, and Power Tools
      I get the normal fleeting tinnitus like most people... the "EEEEEE" that lasts for about 5 seconds and fades away.

Recently, I have been having what I can only call "fleeting tinnitus" that lasts for about 5 seconds and fades away, but sounds like the high-end of TV static/white noise. Only in my left ear. Randomly throughout the day, maybe 2-3 times. I'm working from home a lot, on Zoom calls, using my computer speakers at a reasonable volume, so sometimes I swear that it is other sounds "triggering" the action... but can't be for sure.

Most of my tinnitus is right-sided, and sounds like TV static; so I am familiar. Just thought it was odd to experience this "fleeting tinnitus" lately.

Not really worried about it as I'm not experiencing a spike otherwise. Just a weird experience, just wanted to know what anyone thought.

2. CC99

CC99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I got the same exact thing a few times. I usually have a normal high pitch ring for a few seconds during fleeting tinnitus but a couple of times recently it’s happened where it sounds like a low TV static, or white noise. It’s very strange and I was worried I was gonna start hearing voices (that’s how bizzare the sound was) but it went away like normal fleeting tinnitus after 20-30 seconds.

Did you ever figure anything out about it or did anything come of it? Another forum member and I who both have it, also noticed when we hold our nose and blow, only 1 ear fills up with air and not the other. Maybe that has some correlation with this weird type of tinnitus sound.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Diesel

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah it kind of just went away... I don't know how else to explain it. Definitely not air or anything else physical. Maybe just a set of hair cells that were out of place for a few weeks.

4. CC99

CC99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Interesting... do you have a video or example of a sound that sounds like it? I am curious how similar it was to mine.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Diesel

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Best I can describe is it sounded like intense air leaking from a bike/car tire, like when you push on the valve to deflate it, for a number of seconds, then immediate stopping.

6. CC99

CC99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yup that is EXACTLY what mine sounds like. It is usually accompanied with regular high-pitch fleeting tinnitus in the other ear during it as well. Not sure what that’s about.

It just happened to me for the 3rd time again this morning!

7. Strawberryblonde
      Chowing

Strawberryblonde Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1st mild (6/12/2015) mild-mod (3/5/2022)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HEADPHONES/TMJ/ETD/SINUSES/AMITRIPTYLINE one of them???
      I get this if I look down or move my head suddenly. It's much easier to deal with than the typical fleeting EEEEEEEE tinnitus. It only started happening recently on and off. It lasted for a good few minutes the other day.