Weird New Tinnitus Sounds/Spikes — What Could Be Causing This?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Junaid_t, May 3, 2020.

1. Junaid_t

Junaid_t Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music exposure
      Guys I’ve been suffering from stress and anxiety last 3/4 months and been struggling to sleep.

My tinnitus is normally a low baseline ring that doesn’t bother me at all. However recently I’ve started getting weird sounds / noises that feel like they are coming from the head rather than the ears. My recent one is a light buzz that sounds like a fly, and it’s weird because this sound also seems to distort how I hear other sounds If that makes sense. Probably a bit like reactive tinnitus. So for e.g., the fan or water running won’t sound right it will have a buzzing sound to it. I Haven’t exposed myself to any loud sounds or anything. I did start using sound speaker pillows to help me sleep. This was at a low volume so surely didn’t affect it.

The worst spike in experiencing is this really loud car engine / drumming on my left ear. This sound comes and goes. Once it starts it’s really bad. Feels like the whole head is sounding like it’s going to explode.

I’m just feeling really hopeless at the moment. I used to find dealing with my tinnitus really easy. These new sounds/spikes are scaring me. I just don’t know what to do.

Anyone have advice or similar experiences? I really hope these are just spikes.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Sorry you are suffering JT.
      Maybe lay off the sound speaker pillows.
      Exercise and try and have good sleep hygiene. Sleep is a challenge. It can be had without devices.
      Worth a try... take care.

Daniel

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Junaid_t

Are you a regular user of headphones, earbuds or wear a headset for computer games? Do you listen to loud music in the car at home? I ask because your tinnitus was originally caused by exposure to loud noise. When this type of tinnitus increases or additional sounds are heard of the type you describe, the usual reason is exposure to loud sounds or headphone use. If these are not the cause then stress and medication could be a factor. If the tinnitus doesn't settle down then it's best to be seen at ENT for tests.

Michael

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Junaid_t

Junaid_t Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music exposure
      Thanks Michael

I don’t use any headphones or expose myself to any loud music.

I feel like I’m losing my mind. The amount of noises are hearing in silence right now is crazy. If these sounds then also start reacting to external sounds. What chance have I got?

5. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Okay @Junaid_t

So you haven't been using any type of headphones at all? Please say so as it would help.

Please click on the links below and read my articles on tinnitus. Sorry to repeat myself but I feel it's important to know that you haven't been using headphones before your tinnitus changed right? If this is the case and you haven't been around loud sounds including music, then stress maybe a factor, so see your GP if the tinnitus doesn't settle down.

All the best
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Junaid_t

Junaid_t Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music exposure
      Michael. How do I send you a private message

7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Click on my Avatar and a box will appear. You should see a Tab reading: start conversation. Click on that and another box will appear so you can PM me....

If you can't sent a PM, if you want to send me an email: Michael_lee83@yahoo.com I will try and send you a PM.

Michael

8. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I am really sorry that you're struggling with your tinnitus at the moment. I know how that goes.

I have had noises come and go, and I know how terrible it can be once your brain has latched onto a new sound. The fear and anxiety that can come with the awareness of yet another noise/sensation can be %&*()!

I distinctly recall the day I realised my initial right ear tinnitus had morphed into surround sound (both ears and head). So depressed, scared and frustrated. Then over time, I (no other choice) accepted it, and tried to get on with it as best as I could.

When my tinnitus changes, it grabs my attention, and I just try hard not to give it the attention it wants for fear that I will cause it to become even more prominent. Very difficult to do though when you are frightened and feeling hopeless.

Recently, I had a big spike in my tinnitus. After a month, I seriously thought I may be forced to accept a new level of tinnitus and hyperacusis. Alongside it was a probable infected root canaled molar and TMJ pain. I restarted my lyme antimicrobials (I had stopped in case it was exacerbating it). Within days, the pain in my tooth receded, along with the severe TMJ pain, and tinnitus. During this time, I felt like you; hopeless and fearful that my spike wasn't going away. I would be put my money on your spike resolving with time, or like many of us here, your brain will simply decide to not listen to the new noise after a while.

Have your left ear looked at in case you have an infection. consider a repeat audiogram if you think you may have some additional damage.

When you say it sounds like your whole head is going to explode, whilst I hear you, I want to reassure you that this will not occur! What's your blood pressure doing?

Do what you can to help calm you and your CNS down eg., plenty of REM sleep, passion flower, chamomile teas, magnesium, taurine, meditation, prayer, distractions etc

Have a look at the Back to Silence thread and video the OP has posted.

Please let me know how you are getting on.

Few key words in your post that might point you in the right direction.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Junaid_t

Junaid_t Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music exposure
      Thanks deb. The ears have been quite today. That was until the bathroom fan was on. It felt really loud and when I turned it off. My ears started roaring just how I described in my post. I normally then have to get some fresh air and come back inside the house and it’s back to a quite level. Very strange.

I’m going to take the advice I’ve been given. Thanks everyone.

10. ColdHands
      Worried

ColdHands Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Did your tinnitus get better?

11. sophia1688

sophia1688 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am experiencing exactly this. Definitely not noise related because I haven’t used headphones in a year, and don’t listen to loud music.

Did yours go away?

12. JaneDo

JaneDo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vitamins, surgery
      @sophia1688

How are you doing at the moment. I think I am experiencing the same at the moment for some couple of months and would like to hear if yours went away.

Best,
      Jane

13. JaneDo

JaneDo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vitamins, surgery
      @Junaid_t, I was wondering how you have been and if your tinnitus has subsided.

Best,
      Jane

14. sophia1688

sophia1688 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It has not gone away. I’m on month 2.