Went to Loud Bar without Hearing Protection — Now I Can't Hear Well

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gemini81, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Gemini81

Gemini81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/28/2014
      Hi, approximately 1 week before Halloween I went to a bar for a few hours that was blasting loud music. I made a very stupid decision to not wear my earplugs. Ever since then I cannot hear as well.

Almost 3 weeks later I had a comprehensive hearing exam by an Audiologist. She said my hearing test results are the same as my last hearing test that I had done years ago (back in 2014 I got hearing damage and permanent tinnitus in both of my ears after a very loud concert). I asked her why I can’t hear as well and she said it is a temporary threshold shift.

I am extremely depressed because there has been no improvement in my hearing. Sounds are not as loud and as clear and as nice sounding as they used to be. I contacted her at some point after my appointment and she recommended I see an ENT. I have an appointment to see an ENT. I’m not sure what is going on. I still can’t hear as well and there has been no improvement in hearing. My Audiologist checked my ears to check for fluid or ear wax buildup and I don’t have those issues. I don’t have sinus congestion either.

Does someone have any feedback? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am very depressed. Thank you!

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Thomas_83

Thomas_83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I got tinnitus from loud music on October 1. And I still sometimes struggle a bit with some muffled hearing. I had no hearing loss when tested.

It was the same for me as it for you now.
      But I realized it needs time. A lot of time.

This will get better in time.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      The only thing I can relate this to is my experience with sudden hearing loss. Each episode found me at Urgent Care where I'm given a prescription of Prednisone. Not saying it's the same as you know what caused your hearing loss but I have read of individuals being prescribed this in similar situations.

Good luck and I hope you regain your hearing soon.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gemini81

Gemini81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/28/2014
      Hi Thomas_83 and Michael B,

Thank you for replying to my post. I’m sorry that you have hearing issues too. I have been extremely depressed and stressed out about my hearing issues! Especially since I knew better but still chose not to wear my earplugs. I’m praying for a miracle but I’m losing hope.

• Hug Hug x 2