What Do I Do if I Get Sick With Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Shadgirl, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Shadgirl
      Wishful

Shadgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 or 3 mounths ago
      Well I think this counts as an update though I'm not sure. My left ear got really hot starting last night and my whole body's been burning up ever since. I called my doctor again but they cant see me until tomorrow. That would be fine if I didn't think I had a fever. Dose anyone know what I should take for it? Because Iv heard that stuff like Aleve and Advil make tinnitus worse. If this is in the wrong place on this webpage please let me know. Thank you for your patience. I'm sure I'm being annoying right now.

PS: This thred started as a comment on my previous one, but I don't think it gose there, so I moved it.

2. AlecP
      Procrastinating

AlecP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (I think)
      Try paracetamol? I've never heard of it making T worse and it usually makes you feel better and brings flu like symptoms (such as fever) down :)

Definitely low risk for sure

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It is exceedingly unlikely that limited, short term use of NSAIDs will cause anything more than a very temporary increase in tinnitus.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shadgirl
      Wishful

Shadgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 or 3 mounths ago
      So what are you thoughts on liquid Tylenol? I cant swallow pills ether.

5. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      No risks on liquid Tylenol, no way paracetamol can affect your T

6. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I use it when I'm very sick, but I would be wary about taking it all the time. Regular use of tylenol is absolutely linked to hearing damage.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2831770/

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shadgirl
      Wishful

Shadgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 or 3 mounths ago
      I hardly ever take medicine for anything. I even try to avoid midol if I can. I;m just worried about getting a fever and not being able to treat it. The heat problem so far may just be me because it went away when things cooled down outside again. But theirs allot of things that can go wrong and I don't want to make it worse if I can avoid it.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shadgirl
      Wishful

Shadgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 or 3 mounths ago
      Ok, the good news is I don't need any Tylenol right now according to my doctor. The bad news is she says I should be taking Fluticasone nasal spray and Sudafed because my ears have liquid in them again. She's now even more certain that the Eustachian tube is what's causing my issues and claims she sees it all the time at this time of the year. Dose anyone know if those two medicines are ok to take at least until I see that ENT on the 18th?

9. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I've taken both those things and I've been ok

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shadgirl
      Wishful

Shadgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 or 3 mounths ago
      I should hope so. Iv taken them before as well for at least a month at a time and I never had trouble with them before. Dr says they don't cause hearing lose. (Therese a word for that O toxic something?) Anyway she said there not it, but I just wanted to be sure. My sinuses are killing me today too.

11. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Take nothing for it , getting sick every now and then is perfectly normal .
      If you can endure T you should be able to take a bit of a cold :)

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shadgirl
      Wishful

Shadgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 or 3 mounths ago
      Except its not a cold, its fluid in the ears that needs to be drained and doesn't drain naturally. That's why my Dr wants me to see an ENT. To get the Eustachian tubes checked. This happens all the time and I keep getting ear infections because of it. So the medicine would be used only until the ears get checked or the fluid is drained again. With all that in mind, I'd like to take it to prevent another infection before my ENT appointment, but I need to know if they cause hearing lose first. I only need them until the 18th and only once a day if it helps.

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shadgirl
      Wishful

Shadgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 or 3 mounths ago
      I just want to know if Suaifed or Fluticasone nasal spray ototoxic or not?

14. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I have taken both and have not had any issues. If you need to take them to drain the Eustachian tubes then you should take them.
      Google them and read the side effects if you are that concerned.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shadgirl
      Wishful

Shadgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 or 3 mounths ago
      Thanks for the advice. I looked them both up hear and at two different pharmacies in town. Both pharmacists said there not ototoxic, and nanny people think sudifed quieted there T a bet. I just try ed a dose of the spray and so far nothing bad. I'll keep an eye on it though just in case.

16. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      You will be fine!

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shadgirl
      Wishful

Shadgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 or 3 mounths ago
      Its louder then before! Was it the nasal spray!? I thought it was sounding louder then before last night too! That was before I took the medicine! Whats going on!? NOW I'm REALLY scared! :cry: Dose anyone know why this is happening? Have you been through this before?

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shadgirl
      Wishful

Shadgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 or 3 mounths ago
      Update. A steeled myself and took that first dose of Sudifed my Dr wanted me to take. The T got quieter awhile later but I'm not sure if that was the cause or not. Today its allot quieter and I spent the night on the susses story page. There are allot of cases there that are similar or worse then mine that turned out ok. Some are vary inspiring even. I think I'll try taking there advice and hope for the best! After all, some people have T AND H and even panic attacks like I do! If they can get through this, I'm sure I can in time. :) Note: I don't have H, the hyper sound thing I cant pronounce. Iv just got panic attacks, messed up sinuses and T. I think I may need something for those panic attacks of mine though... :(

19. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      T can spike for many reasons. Lack of sleep, stress, too much monitoring or focus on T, anxiety, taking some foods such as alcohol, coffee, MSG, salt etc. Not all people react the same. So you will have to find out what worsen your T, You may want to keep a record of what you eat to see if eating something can trigger T spike. Anyway, one thing about T is its unpredictability. The more we try to figure this and that about T, the more we can get frustrated or nervous about provoking T. I used to gingerly tip-toed around T back then. After a while, I figured my life was enslaved by T. So I said the heck with you T. I do what I want and eat what I want and I just focus on living my life again. Living with T takes time and patience. There is a member posting on the success stories that he got better by doing nothing, which means he didn't do thing to please T specifically.

For panic attacks, you need to first understand what cause your panic attacks. Try to treat the root cause first. If it is T ringing, then try masking to soothe out the T ringing. I used to mask for bed time (with a CD player), while I was out on the go (with an ipod), and while I work (my PC loaded with aire freshener sound generator). Through these masking, I got less freaked out by the ringing. If masking isn't enough, then you may need meds or other means. Talk to your doctor about meds. Other means can be exercise, meditation, outdoor, hobbies etc. They can distract the brain from focusing on T and so you will get less panic about T.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      I think the above post is good. The more I think about it, the more everybody on here bends over backwards to accommodate their condition and avoids foods, drinks etc. I am seriously considering doing as I please with regards food and drink. Tailoring your diet based on what is often myth, is just another element of entrapment.

21. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      for what it's worth, all of the corticosteroids cause anxiety and worse tinnitus for me. My doctor told me that even though nasal steroids aren't supposed to be systemically absorbed, in fact some small percentage of the drug will inevitable end up in your bloodstream.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shadgirl
      Wishful

Shadgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 or 3 mounths ago
      Thanks for all the support! Yeah, I think I need to find the right masking device because my T really isn't so bad most of the time. So far Iv been lucky. But every single time it spikes I panic. That alone is causing allot of health problems for me so I need to do something about it. The outdoes idea sounds great! But its also linked to one of the reasons I worry so much and get so down about The T thing. See Iv had a dream of becoming a dog trainer and helping people understand why there dogs do the things they do. Iv been told countless times I have a gift and was trying to save some money for collage, but a job like that would mean loud noise exosphere and if the T were made worse by it I don't know what I'd do. Worse yet, that seems to be the only thing I'm good at. It comes natural to me sometimes without any help from anyone. Can I still do my training without making the T worse? Its my dream and the T scare is taking it away from me!

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shadgirl
      Wishful

Shadgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 or 3 mounths ago
      I just took the spray again about an hour ago. Now my other ear is ringing loudly! And it never dose that! Maby I should stop taking it. Its for fluid in the ear. Anyone know what I should do about it?

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shadgirl
      Wishful

Shadgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 or 3 mounths ago
      Now I took the Sudifed again. I thought it helped last night, but I'm so scared it will acshly make things worse this time! Dose anyone have any thoughts on this? Anyone!? Please I'm freaked out hear! :cry:

25. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My opinion is that everything you're experiencing is a result of being sick, being stressed, and maybe a temporary spike from some of the meds you've taken. I know that whenever I am sick my T goes up to a blaring sound and I can hardly stand to put my head on a pillow.

The fact that you're sort of free associating, talking about first your sickness and then in the same sentence talking about your career plans, makes it seem likely that you have a lot of stress and anxiety about where you are in life, and that is no doubt further complicating things.

It will get better.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Shadgirl
      Wishful

Shadgirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 or 3 mounths ago
      Hears a new question. I have an ear infection again and I need something that can treat it that wont make tinnitus worse. Any ideas? I need to at least control it until next week. I'm seeing a highly recamended ENT then.

27. Unless you're like 90, chances are high you're gonna get sick with T.

It's been a year for me and I've been hospitalized twice, surgery, mris, ct scans and LOTS of different meds. NONE made me worse. .though I am worse now and guess what? I'm sick!

Take advil, or tylenol, you will be fine.

28. Amoxicillin.