What Do You Want to Know from Researchers?

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Steve, Feb 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Oh I forgot to ask. When do they think frequency therapeutics will be on the market? I imagine most people here really want to know ;)

2. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Is a tinnitus sufferer's ear more likely to be damaged by noise than a non T sufferer's ear? (In the case of noise induced T). And if so, why?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Bassplayer

Bassplayer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I suspect the biggest barrier is the fight over making money out of any potential cure! ;-)

That may be why those in the medical profession who have experienced tinnitus themselves might be in a better position to help. Those who have moved on to a ‘normal’ or even better life after T might have even more to offer.

4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Steve Hi Steve: Many research sites discuss that the straightening of the cervical spine is one cause of somatic T. When this happens, it appears pressure is placed on the stem cell, muscles and nerves in the neck and around the dorsal network.

Other researchers place more focus on the muscles themselves.

Many articles state that a chiropractor doctor using neck manipulation treatment such as the Atlas method helps somatic T. One article said 30% get 90% relief, 40% get 50% to 70% relief and 20% no relief.

I think that knowing more about neck manipulation statistics would be helpful.

Of all the other treatments that I have tried, only using a folded towel pressing on the back of my neck has helped and then to use trigger point therapy on muscles.

5. Bassplayer

Bassplayer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Interesting. In the first year of my T, I had a few sessions with a chiropractor for back pain I think it helped with the T a bit too. It does seem as though any form of stress, mental or physical can make the T worse. Maybe even spiritual stress.. :-/

6. Chaz

Chaz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I would like to know why funding for research is so hard to come by? Why doesn't the US Gov chip in considering Tinnitus and Hearing loss are the number 1 disability they pay out for our military?

7. Bassplayer

Bassplayer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Probably because it’s not seen as a serious condition. Hearing loss maybe a higher priority.

8. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Well my ears are always on full blast.
      I have been run down since Christmas and sleepy 24/7
      Had bloods done today and come back I have anaemia and one symptom can be tinnitus....
      I wonder how many doctors check bloods if you go to them with tinnitus ?
      Love glynis x

9. Localboy

Localboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss from concerts, hunting, tools, and accident
      Do you think there is enough co-operation and collaboration between researchers worldwide? How would you improve it?

10. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      To research the back of the head to find exactly where T calls home base in the brain. Or 3d map of the brain would be nice also.

11. Silvercatz
      Surrender

Silvercatz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1959
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Congenital Nerve Damage
      Hi, I have a question? I have congenital nerve damage in both ears and near deaf. I've had tinnitus all of my life that would come and go. About 8 years ago I had a ruptured cranial aneurysm that nearly cost me my life . I'd noticed that the tinnitus would come more frequently and louder a few months after the rupture. Today my T's are 24 -7 and so painful , loud , screeching, sirens and high pitch sounds that I don't normally hear on the outside. Is it possible that my aneurysm may have changed some of the wiring in my brain and over reactive nerves are firing at the wrong part of my brain. I am almost 60 and I'm getting beat down by this pain and I've even started smoking cannabis in hopes to calm it down. How much more brain research has been on this and have they yet pinpointed the location of the brain? I know this is a rather large request and maybe they'll answer before you ask. Thank you for you thoughtfulness in including us for questionnaire . God Bless Michelle

12. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      I'm 17 (if age was important for this question?)

I want to know if Hyperacusis is something that is being studied along with Tinnitus. I would also like them to understand that just because some people get better does not mean they don't hinder their lives afterwards to prevent a relapse. That "Habituation" is not a cure. People throw that word around like candy but that does not mean Tinnitus is gone.

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Thank you very much for all of the suggestions and questions.

We're going to try and coordinate a survey for the attendees at TRI 18. We won't be able to use everything here but it has got us thinking that we have so many questions it would be good to try and get some Q&A's with researchers.

We'll see what we can do for that because we would like to see things here answered.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      Should tinnitus sufferers protect themselves from everyday noise more than people who have no tinnitus?

15. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Does regenerating cochlear hair cells and/or repairing auditory nerve fibers lower the volume of tinnitus?

• Like Like x 1
    16. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't think that it will make any difference what questions are directed to researchers because when researchers do happen to complete studies and come with treatment assessments for the medical community to use, they never use them.

17. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's too bad that tinnitus researchers aren't involved in tinnitus patient care as well. Then there would be less TMD tinnitus caused from dental surgery. There would be less tinnitus from ear syringing. There would be less increasing tinnitus for those with ASD and TTTS attained from hearing stress tests. There would be less increased tinnitus from not selling sound tone ear pieces to those with hyperacusis, ASD and TTTS. There would be less drugs given that have tinnitus written on the inside small print label.

18. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I finished with my rant as my T is singing loud, but all those situations in the above post happened to me either with first tinnitus or second tinnitus and some of them happened to other friends here.

19. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      @Steve

Why there is no research about methods that look for the offending brain T neurons and zap them. It sounds about 100 times easier than all the other methods trying to regenerate hearing and hair cells. The problem with the dead frequencies is that they are half dead only, and we have to hear them screaming for the rest of our lives.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I don't know what the effect of having a brain "dead zone" around the offending frequencies would be, but I don't imagine it would be good. It's better to regenerate than to destroy, however hard the process may be.

21. Tinniger

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Next question:
      What do you think about somatic tinnitus?

22. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      There's sort of something like that you can do right now. rTMS is similar, but it targets active neuroclusters (causes the tinnitus). It's good but it can be very dangerous.

Now exactly what you were talking about, I recall reading that there was an experiment done on a guy undergoing brain surgery. they zapped the part of his brain with tinnitus. It got rid of his tinnitus completely, but only for 15 minutes.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Interesting, Wheres the article?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    24. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I'll find it soon. In class atm

• Like Like x 1
    25. Tinniger

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Would it make sense to distinguish between noise-induced tinnitus and non-noise-induced tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    26. Tinniger

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Would it make sense to pay more attention to the description of the ringing in the ears?

27. Grey Dawn
      Assassinator

Grey Dawn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      following this chain

• Like Like x 1
    28. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      I would like to know with your help the following:
      - at the TRI conference, it is the phenomenon of tinnitus itself and the way of its treatment that is discussed separately, or is attention paid to its main cause - damage to the hair cells? Are there any changes and real progress in this aspect?

• Agree Agree x 1