What Does It Mean to Have Different Tinnitus Tones?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dankmemes, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Dankmemes

Dankmemes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Someone on here told me they hear multiple tones at once.

I don’t quite understand what they mean.

Do you hear one tone then a few seconds later hear another tone at separate times or do you hear them all at once.

If you hear a hiss, a roar, and a high pitched ring at the exact same time do they mix together into one new sound that almost can’t be described?

2. MajaC
      Not worthy

MajaC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      fleeting (2012) Chronic (end 2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Birth, hearing loss, hearing trauma
      Me, I hear criquets and a highpitched sound in the same time. Sometimes another sounds with that.

3. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I used to hear a swirling squeal that would rise and fall. Since then its become a constant whistly shreik that turns itself up to dominate over every other sound.

I think multiple sounds indicates multiple areas of hair cell or nerve damage.

4. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      This ugly whistling sound that I can only hear if I plug my left ear. Then theres a high pitched sound that is almost always there in both ears. It sounds like my brain is sizzling and sometimes is pulsile. It goes away sometimes in the middle of the night, in an mask it with a quiet fan.

5. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Yesterday i had kind of a low fridge sound with glass in it. But really mild where i could just hear it with my ears plugged. Today i woke up to my normal sound which is a high boiling tea kettle tone . No idea how it can change completely over night (btw since i´m awake now for an hour the sound has reduced again a lot and i hear it barely while plugging my ears).

The good thing is i have just 1 tone left, the rest vanished over the course of the last 3 months. So i hope this last one will also with time.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      You have to be trolling at this point. People can hear several tones at the same time. You can have several tones in each ear and hear them all at the same time, like a nice orchestra.
      Edit: coffee_girl said it perfectly, "Yep, that name with that kind of post... Pretty much troll satisfying his morbid curiosity over those suffering with a debilitating problem".

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dankmemes

Dankmemes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How can I be a troll if I have tinnitus also? It’s a valid question as humans can’t double task so if you are hearing multiple tones at once then they must blend into something new. If you mix red and blue paint together you don’t see red and blue separately they mix into a new color. My other question about severe tinnitus was absolutely reasonable because I assumed that there was a point where you can’t distinguish tinnitus any louder and it caps at a certain volume. If you have severe tinnitus and can’t go outside it would be reasonable to believe that if the Tinnitus can’t get much worse you should you just start exposing yourself to noise. You guys are overreacting way too much. It’s just a question after all and in most people’s minds there is no such thing as a stupid question.

8. Jemina
      Caffeine

Jemina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity and probably cumulative noise exposure
      We are totally not overreacting...! Living with tinnitus can be a horrible nightmare and endless torture. Bad decisions and noise exposure can further complicate it.

I'm a good example of making "stupid" mistakes, getting exposed to loud sounds while suffering from tinnitus. My T started over 2 months ago, it was not so bad at first, and I thought it was temporary, so I went to the dentist. The drilling made my T louder, it went from 5/10 to 7/10 and didn't start fading at all. My second noise exposure was when I went to see Jurassic World, I was still sure my T was temporary and didn't bother to protect my ears. My ears were hurting so much I was in tears and my T was so loud it made me nauseous. It was so loud it was like the only thing I heard for the rest of the day, I was sure I would lose my hearing, the pain was unbearable. I developed severe hyperacusis and that's when my life became a living nightmare. My T is now 9/10, not fading at all. And, instead of just one high pitched tone, I now have many different tones: constant high pitch ringing, morse code beeping, tea kettle whistling, and clicking/rumbling...

• Agree Agree x 1