What Is Your Definition of a Tinnitus Spike?

Discussion in 'Support' started by friend74, Sep 3, 2019.

1. friend74
      Doubtful

friend74 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      So what do you consider a spike? Can there be a general answer? Is a spike when you tinnitus annoys you more than usual? Or when you get a new tone?

Me, f.e., sometimes (like a moment ago...:() I get this (mostly) high peeeeep tone in one ear that can go away within a few seconds, a few minutes, a few hours or even longer? Although I know that it normally goes away, the anxiety and panic overcomes me every time, even after all this years. I like to call this some kind of stroke in the ear. No doctor could tell me yet what it is or where it comes from. Oh... And I have the feeling that after every 'peeeep' attack (at least the longer ones) my tinnitus gets worse permanently.

Should I consider the 'peeep' to be a spike? Just curious as everybody talking about spikes but maybe everyone has another definition for it.

PS: sorry for my English. Getting a bit rusty...

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      When your tinnitus gets louder, or new sounds appear, and then eventually subside.

What you're describing is fleeting tinnitus. I wouldn't consider that a spike.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      friend74
      Doubtful

friend74 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I never considered 'fleeting tinnitus' as tinnitus at all as it is not permanent. Reminds me of people saying to me 'don't worry, i also have tinnitus sometimes'. And I'm like 'sometimes? WTF are you talking about?'...

4. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      When it gets louder than baseline, or a new pattern of tones emerges. And the effects last for more than 24 hours.

Less than that, and it's situation normal, or Amber if you feel it's a warning sign.

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      friend74
      Doubtful

friend74 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      i guess then i have a constant spike for 7 years....(n)

• Hug Hug x 2
    6. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Sorry to hear that.

Do you have hyperacusis as well? Has that stayed at a constant level, or changed as the tinnitus has changed? My H has been easing a bit lately, but I've had a spike since coming back from holiday and taking three flights in a day. Used protection but still spiked. Was OK going out when it was just two flights...

I've had a few good days since coming back, in fact one morning I couldn't say I could hear my tinnitus at all for about two blissful hours. But right now it's screeching as I'm on my second day in a row in the office.

Overall it's not got any louder than previous spikes, so I count it all as one spike since coming back from holiday (3 weeks ago).

7. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      A "spike" in this forum means a temporary (hours, days, weeks) increase/aggravation in intensity/volume of the tinnitus.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      friend74
      Doubtful

friend74 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Not sure. Since my latest disturbing appointment at the dentist I had a few days that felt like hyperacusis. Kind of scaring but that went away.