What Now? Spike Has Lasted for 5 Days Already

Discussion in 'Support' started by Apocalypse77, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (go-kart racing)
      It has been 5 days since I got my spike. I got this spike from a restaurant that played music. (I didnot sound loud. :mad:) And we were moving to a new house so I was 3 days in a row at a storage and of course there are freaking loud noises. I used earplugs and my noise cancelling headphones btw.

Last 2 days I have been in my room reading and I have not got exposed to loud sounds. Today we went to a reastaurant. We were there for 40 minutes. The restaurant did not play any music but it was still loud (maybe +87 dB). And today a f***** motorbike was 1 meter away from me when the bike made that awful noise. I immediately plugged my ears but still got exposed to that sound for 1 second.

So now what? What should I do, when the spike has lasted for more than 5 days? Can these things that I mentioned even cause a spike or am I being a overdramatuc lil bi***.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Spikes will run the cause and settle in there own time but not nice and get you down and can be mental torture.

I would have a list of things what can help e.g. music,sound therapy,walks out doors and a load more.
      Also add to it what nice treats you could have when spikes happen eg
      Download a new CD or DVD
      A glass or two of something nice
      Plan something to look forward too!
      Meet up with friends and a lot more.
      Just things like this can help you get through it and nice meals and enough sleep.
      Love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you again glynis. :)
      Tomorrow I am going to a barber shop should I use earplugs?

• Like Like x 1
    4. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      I am pretty sure spike will go down . I know what you are going through and it's very easy for me to tell you to calm man .i was in your shoes just 4-5 days ago and I was panicking like you won't believe.
      Spike because of restaurant is common and I bet just 7-10 days and it will subside( unless music was very loud )

• Like Like x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If I were you, I would not be visiting loud places (and if there is even a question about the level of noise at a place, just play it safe and leave). I would be wearing muffs or earplugs in places where noise is Possible (I would not wait to get startled by a noisy motorcycle).

The good news is that according to this poll
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/poll-how-long-was-your-longest-spike.22099/
      temporary spikes can last well over a week.

After reading this forum, I now know that they can even last over a month. So there is no reason to panic, yet. But do try to learn from your mistakes, and try to avoid these shocks that your body seems to want you to avoid.

I believe that these temporary spikes slow down healing, so it is important to do what you can to avoid them.

• Like Like x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I went to a barber shop and they were using that trimmer that is used to cut the side hair short. So I did not plug my ears. Fug did I damage my ears??? :mad:

7. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      These questions are pretty hard to answer, because what may cause evident damage or temporary or permanent spikes to one person at a certain decibel level, may not for another.

Nobody can answer these questions for you with the confidence level you're looking for, unfortunately. It's all educated guesses based on the generally available information, which you yourself have access to, too.

Do you have a further tinnitus spike now after the barber experience? Or are you experiencing a temporary threshold shift? (ability to hear has been reduced?)

If not - stop worrying.

Look at the sound levels in the below PDF.

And then look at the below charts:

http://dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/decibel-exposure-time-guidelines/

If you want to live a life, you cannot keep worrying about these kinds of normal sound events. The worrying will eat you up.

The other choice is to put yourself in a sound isolated box and never leave home. Which isn't a choice.

You'll be okay.

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My T has spiked. Why didn't I plug my ears :cry::cry::cry::cry:

10. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Apocalypse77 ..I can almost say with certainty that it's just a spike . It has happend to me couple of time after going to hair cut. Those buzzers feels loud but no way they will cause permanent spike .it probably irritated your ears .

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I really hope it does end. I am so pissed at myself all the progress that I have made... The school will start soon and I am here crying. IHML:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

12. newbieT

newbieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      having ear plugs in will actually make it sound much louder if the buzzer touches your ears due to resonance

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @newbieT wow, I did not think of that you are right.

14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      He could keep his fingers over the plugs.

15. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Apocalypse77 ,
      You have learned what to do next time by trial and error and know it's best to plug your ears next time.
      This Is how we learn to cope better and get stronger with what we have to face.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    16. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      It will ..I am sure it will . Give some time .
      As we speak my ears are on fire ! It's amazing some times it doesn't bother me !like today I am at the office and we have 2-3 fans and Ac on and I still hear siren in my ears but I am ok .

• Like Like x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      But it can't be that loud right? Then there would be people on a barber shop with earplugs on all the time. I have never seen someone with earplugs while getting your hair cut.
      I hope from the bottom of my heart that this spike ends. Thank you all for your answers really means a lot.:D

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I read somewhere that the buzzers go up to 96 dB. But it did not say the distance that it was measured. I suppose it is as close as it can be.

19. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Do you carry plugs with you when you go out? I have like at least 4-5 pair of plugs and always one or two with me whenever I leave my house.
      If I am going to a new restaurant or any place really that I haven't been before, I have them in my pocket so I can put them in if I notice that the volume is too loud. Sometimes I am lucky and there are few people there so it is quiet enough for me to go without the plugs. Same thing with the hair dresser, I learned the hard way that the hair dryer can be really loud and since I have thick long hair, it takes a while for them to dry it. I forgot the plugs in my jacket when I sat down in the chair but now I always make sure to have them on me so I can put them in just before they start to dry it.

As for the motorbikes, I have gotten scares several times, and it has not affected my T at all. If you are going on a busy street, have plugs in just in case. I only go a 2 min walk from the subway to my work and from the subway to my house, but even then I wear plugs.

• Like Like x 1
    20. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I think it would be good have a thread on earplugs and photo of what you use and what you think about them.
      Love glynis

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I would love this! I'm always curious what type of earplugs others use. Kind of a member review thread with photos, product name and maybe even some details about where you've used them.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't but now I will for sure. I am thinking about buying a good pair of earplugs.
      Glynis and Tinker bell is right that would be a really good thread.