What Should I Aim For?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michael Leigh, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      What should I aim for?

Tinnitus is a common condition that many people habituate to without ever been seen at ENT. However, we know how debilitating it can be when it becomes severe and intrusive. Unfortunately, the majority of people outside of this forum are unaware of that. The fact that the severity of this condition cannot be measured on any machine means, the affected person suffers alone in their discomfort, and doesn't always get the understanding, time or listening ear from someone that hasn’t experienced loud intrusive tinnitus.

I once read a newspaper article that mentioned: nineteen out of twenty medical conditions cannot be cured. At this moment tinnitus is one of them and there are hundreds of other medical conditions that cannot be cured. Although tinnitus comes in many forms and intensities and no two people experience it the same. We know in most cases, there is some form of treatment for tinnitus and many people habituate and go on to lead a fulfilling life. I am in no way trying to play down the severity of tinnitus, because when mine reaches severe levels I have to take clonazapam. It makes me drowsy and it’s off to bed but it does calm my tinnitus down.

I no longer look for a cure but see myself as someone that has habituated and suggest people aim for that until a cure is found, otherwise it’s possible to make ourselves miserable looking for something that is unobtainable at this time. I believe the best way to do that is to try and get to ENT and see what help is available.

To the person reading this post on their computer, I want to say you have done an amazing thing. For it suggests to me at this moment, your tinnitus isn’t so severe that you’re unable to concentrate. I see that as something positive to hold on to.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      My tinnitus is sever 24/7 but I post on my phone and kindle and manage fine but do have a laptop.
      I spend as much time as I can helping members on both forums but take a break when my Menirres hits hard and my heads in the shead/ dizzy and wuzzy.

However I have habituated to a certain degree and had it over ten years.

lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 3