What Should I Do Next?

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by scotatl, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. scotatl

scotatl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/14
      Hi Dr. Nagler-
      My bilateral tinnitus began three and a half weeks ago - not sure why it began. (Do not recall any loud noises in the days prior to) I woke up one morning and it was there and has been constant since that day. I have been to my GP and ENT. My hearing test showed a drop in my high frequency hearing in both ears - slightly worse in the left ear. I had an MRI on Friday of last week and I am awaiting the results.
      My question is if I don't have an acoustic neuroma - what would your recommend that I do next? I am 51 years old and otherwise in good health.
      Advice would be greatly appreciated!
      Scott

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hi @scotatl -

Great question!

My response? Don't just do something ... STAND THERE!

By that I mean, maybe give it a little more time before looking into treatment options. And for goodness' sakes, do not get all wigged out by what you read on the Internet. For most folks in your shoes, their tinnitus just seems to settle on out over time. Support boards are dominated by the distinct minority for whom that is not the case ... or they would not be on support boards in the first place!

There's one other thing you can do. If the "atl" in your nick means you live in Atlanta, perhaps we can meet somewhere for a cup o' joe. Maybe I can help you muddle through this puzzle face to face.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 5