What the Heck, Check the Neck?

Discussion in 'Support' started by luckyman316, Oct 17, 2014.

1. luckyman316

luckyman316 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      So I did just that! And look at these results:

C3-4 broad-based disc herniation wih significant cord impingement
      C4-5 disc bulge without signigicant stenosis, very mild stenosis
      C5-6 disc bulge resulting in cord compression and bilateral C6 root impingement
      C6-7 central disc herniation resulting in significan cord impingement

Ouch is right! Ironically, I'm not in any pain but wonder if this is the source of my T!

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. a6rg5x

a6rg5x Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      How did you know to check your neck if you weren't in pain? I'm asking because I have suspected that my neck or jaw may be the source of my problems but I don't have any pain either.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      luckyman316

luckyman316 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      It's a VERY long story... I'll save you the trouble and keep is short. I'm not just looking for the source of tinnitus but for some other issues that came about with it. I've been through it all this past year. Neurologists, dentists, ENTs, MDs, Internists, physical therapists, infectious disease doctors, chiropractors... you name it. I feel like a hypochondriac this past year but my body has literally been falling apart QUICK and the T is one of the many symptoms I have, which I think is being caused by the neck issue. My pain I have is vague, and since I have a high tolerance for pain (the type of pain I have would probably make most people be in agony) I didn't think much of it. It's worse than I thought.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks Luckyman,
      Interesting, my list of docs reads the same as yours.
      Also having other medical issues along with T.
      Anyone else with other symptoms?

• Like Like x 1
    5. FuzzyFrey
      Dreaming

FuzzyFrey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sustained loud noise through headphones
      I never really thought of that either. Interesting stuff!

• Like Like x 1
    6. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      Where should I go to check the neck and also fix it.
      I basically sit infront of a screen the whole damn day so I'm pretty sure my neck is as fudged up if not more.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      My Tinnitus is noise induced and going away slowly but having Tinnitus has made me want to take care of myself more.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Well I would consider this before you worry about your neck issues...

"The extent of a person’s suffering with tinnitus has no relation to how loud it is, how soft it is, its pitch, it’s so-called reactivity, its lack of predictability, or whether it is continuous or discontinuous"

This is a quote from here2help backed by dr nagler...dr nagler actually states that here2help knows more than 99% of experts.

9. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      I follow a forum meant for concussion and post concussion syndrome patients. Its repeatedly told there that many of the concussion symptoms(obviously only the concussion induced T) are caused by the often undiagnosed subtle upper neck injury in c1, c2. People mistake those symptoms for PCS which also includes T unfortunately. Upper cervical chiro helps in such cases

10. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Osteopathic Manipulation Medicine DO....Had appt. with this doctor for a knee problem and did not know he was a DO. Did some pressure point therapy and my knee felt great. Going tomorrow because of neck pain for the last few weeks, can hardly turn my neck left when driving. FYI, T is loudest in left ear. A little afraid of my T reacting to the therapy in a negative way. He said at the knee appt. he does do a form of craniolsacral therapy. Any thoughts? So glad I have you all for advice.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Have a hard time with this quote, I know when I have a "manageable" day and the day from "T Hell" are sure different. Volume for me, can you or Dr. Nagler add some input to the quote, thanks.

12. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I shouldn't have quoted it....I was being sarcastic. I agree with you 100%. If you take a look at the thread tinnitus and TINNITUS, might make things more clear.

13. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oops!:)

14. David J
      Confused

David J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      First off.........I don't spend a lot of time here, because it causes me to dwell too much on my "T". However, I am glad I found this thread. I too have wondered if this neck problem could be the cause of my "T"?
      I was having shortness of breath problems this past year and had every test known to man in an attempt to determine the cause. I finally gave up when they couldn't find anything wrong. In a separate issue, my neck had been really bothering me so I decided to get that checked. I knew I had arthritis from an old sports injury. After some x-rays, I was diagnosed with bone deterioration and bone spurs at C-4 in my neck. So I decided to go to doctor google until I get to the neurologist (have to wait 2 months for an appt). It turns-out that a nerve controlling your diaphragm runs through C-4 and that can cause the symptoms I have. Not diagnosed by a doctor yet, but an interesting revelation.
      Bottom-line is that this cervical problem is not a new problem. The arthritis in my neck has existed for 15-20 years with just minimal discomfort. My "T" started several years ago. The neck problem began causing much more discomfort (was getting worse) about that time. The severity of the problem peaked about a year ago, which is when the breathing problem started.
      So obviously, all of this is interesting to me. Could there be a connection to my "T"????????

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oh my gosh, never knew about the connection. Curious, what were you told about the breathing?
      Have been to many, many docs, never had X-Ray or MRI wonder why? We are neighbors, who have you been seeing for your neck and T? How did you find your neurologist? Sure hope you get some answers.

16. David J
      Confused

David J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Wow, we are actually neighbors! You live in the snow capital of Ohio. A dubious honor.... "ugh". I didn't mean to infer that the neck problem was connected to the "T". I am just curious to know if it may be. My neurologist is Dr. Donnich out of Akron, Ohio. I was referred to him by my GP (primary care doc). I don't know for sure if my breathing problem is connected to my neck problem, because I just read it on-line. Of course, everything we read on-line is true....right? Although multiple reputable sources (medical websites) indicated a clear connection. We'll see what the doc says. I will keep you posted...........

• Like Like x 1
    17. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Good thread on neck ache ,I've had neck pain since for past 9 years ,my head so heavy from a virus ,kept telling Drs ,finally 1 listened had CT scan end of last year ,came back I had 2 bones in neck out ,went to osteopath ,who looked at hospital print out ,he put them back in ( painful ) ,it's eased ,but still get pain but not like it was prior ,I think arthritis set in ,as like Leah had a job turning my head left ,painful when driving .
      Lots with T say there necks are sore ,I've said past 9 years is that something to do with T ,and the ones with balance ,? Eustachian tubes ? you got to wonder ? Is this part of its cause .
      I know several with T locally who say they have continual neck ache and have ,severe T .
      The Osteopath has my CT scans ,he's close by I will ask him what 2 bones were out .
      Got to wonder about all who say neck problem .I know I have from onset of that illness ,never had neck pain before in my life .So bad I had to prop my head up using both hands ,it ached so much .
      I sprayed it ,rubbed deep heat ,put heat pad on it nothing eased it ,Tens Machine .Zilch .
      Get a CT scan done ,the MRI I had wouldn't have shown anything up as it only concentrated on my head .
      Wish Drs I told had just listened back then .more or less left to get on with the pain ,all it needed way back was a dr who listened ,maybe I wouldn't have this balance with T now ?,plus blocked ears ,do I think all connected yes .

18. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      I went to a Chiro and got an x-ray but he did seem to concerned. I also thought he didn't give it a close examination, kind of a quick look for larger more obvious issues.

Which would be better to see first, an Orthopedist or Neurologist?

This makes you wonder if upper neck and nerve issues cause ETD?

19. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Jay ,sorry firstly you suffer this ,I'd say get your dr to get you a CT scan first ,X-rays won't do it alone CT scans go into it further .How I wish looking back I'd insisted on this being carried out ,my first mistake,amongst many .
      Then see a good and I mean good Osteopath ,if you can get a good recommended one even better .Once scan done get the print out and go see one with it ,as my dr said she didn't understand the scan ,meant nothing to her ,but could see something was wrong by whatever they told her from hospital.
      Out of the blue this balance began 3 yrs ago ,had it every day since ,no let up whatsoever ,even the exercises haven't got it back to rights .done them to .Even got Magnets Acupatch ,tried them ,placed behind each ear for 4/6 weeks straight ,nothing .So back to square one .Still looking .
      Allergies play a part I believe in this neck issue ,neck leads on from it ,or that's where it began ,I thought it was meds that increased my T ,but I wonder ,as I had both at same time together from that virus .then T became severe,fuzzy eyes were another same time .Got to be all linked .Hard explaining all this ,so hope it makes some kind of sense .The meds I was on was for sinus issue ,and T increase .,after virus of 4 month duration .

20. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Enjoying this thread too, we all share the same frustration as we seek help. I would be thrilled to have more "good" days than bad. My frustration is not being heard and just blown off. I know there is no cure but please listen and answer my questions on anything that will help with the volume or help me cope.
      "I dont have much luck with ENTs. It seems like the ENTs I have seen will tell you that you are fine and just deal with it, unless they see 10 elephants walking around in your external ear chewing away on your tympanic membrane"
      posted by another member on a different thread.
      Not sure of the cause of my T but I know it changes with neck movement. T aside I am looking to some advice on the neck but am concerned that "treatment" would increase the volume. Praying we all find help soon.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Think sometimes you have to look back ,in order to go forwards ,when did problems began ? Something is always a kicker to it all .Some have said a heavy head cold ,or flu really bad ,or another illness like mine was ,but I was in good health prior ,even my dr said that .
      Maybe there is a cure ,we've just not found it .wish more ENT took more note on patients who say neck ache blocked ears,balance and change in their T .Do they take that patients health leading up to their problems into accounts ,being that's there day in ,day out job .were just individuals ,putting our heads together trying to find the answers ,see another chap on site has looked into this allergies and Eustachian tubes .Came up with some good tips Engineer it was .Im not up on how to getting quotes up .think what he writes is interesting read .
      I do get a loud screech at odd times if I move my head left ,in my worst ear ,doesn't last long but boy it creeps me out ,husband gets it to ,so I don't pay mind to it long .,he doesent like it 30 yrs plus with T .So it happens haven't a clue as to why ,weird all of anything related to T .

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. David J
      Confused

David J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Someday there will be answers to all of this. I just hope I live long enough. As I seek treatment for my neck problems I will try to keep everyone here informed. I truly believe that this is how we will eventually learn more about this ("T"). I mean; by sharing information. There is a connection between the neck (spinal cord, nerves & muscles) and the brain that might play a role. Only problem is; the brain is the part of the body that doctors know the least about. Unfortunately, they can't see it, touch it, hear it or understand it. That is why they give you that blank look when you bring-up your 'T" during a checkup. And unfortunately, also why there are so many people participating in this forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      So true

24. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      David that was exact words my female dr said It's the most complex organ of the body ,not understood how it works fully . That's why I think meds ,affect people in different ways ,one to another ,but why doesent one pill fit all .?So yes it's a complex organ .Some are fine on Benzo meds,whilst some have a bad reaction to them ,again why ?
      Will it be a drug out one day ,where it will suit some but not all with T .That thoughts passed through me fair few times . Keep looking ,asking questions .Yes I do believe connection to this what's being discussed on this thread ,all linked ,been saying this from the start ,but try telling a dr ,and it's like you hit a brick wall every time ,I have ,so have others I speak to locally .So our thinking can't all be wrong .Just need a few in medicine to just listen to what's said to them ,the clues are there for them laid out .

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Well said Marlene!!!

26. Marlene
      English

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      It would be interesting to see how many on this site Leah ,who say they have neck trouble ,and if they relate to the T starting from or after neck ache or pain from it and does it continue .
      Need a survey one vote only Yes or No .Results would be interesting if everyone took the survey .
      Next would be one on hearing loss as to onset to T . To get good result on TT .
      Not a clue how you go about putting this up .
      I'm an old timer ,new to comp world ,better late than never,they say .

27. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      my neck started bothering me then my ears started ringing....I have ddd bone spurs, bulging disc,narrowing in c5 c6 :( went to a nucca, and going to physical therapy for 4th time next week.............

28. David J
      Confused

David J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Has the Physical Therapy helped?

29. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      no David it hasn't :(

30. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      Has anybody done ultrasound therapy on their neck muscles ? My T fluctuated like crazy while doing that therapy on my neck. What does this indicate ? Tight neck muscles ?