What the Hell Is Wrong with My Stomach? (Have Been Travelling)

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by meeruf, Jun 14, 2017.

1. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Hey guys. I'm writing about my problem here as I start to give up finding solutions.

I've been in Thailand and nearby countries since December last year. (Back in Norway 4 days ago).

In February I took a short trip to Laos to visit Vang Vieng.

After my week in Laos, I traveled back to Thailand. Then I started to get the problems with my stomach that this post will be about.

My first day in Thailand after Laos I got diarrhea that ended up lasting for one week. I didn't go to any doctor because it was just a diarrhea, it's pretty normal when you travel, and since I had no fever, severe pain or anything I see no point going to the doctor.

After the diarrhea stopped one week later I got a new problem. Now I could not go to toilet at all. After about 7 days after the diarrhea stopped I started to get pretty severe stomach cramps. This was on and off for a couple of days, then, after almost 10 days I could pass stool again.

And holy shit did I shit. The amount that came out stunned me.

Anyways.. After this episode I started to take some vitamins, drink some electrolytes and started to eat oats for breakfast to get some fiber.

This seems to have worked well as my toilets visits are almost back to normal. What do I mean by almost normal?

The pain is still there, and it has been there since the diarrhea stopped in February. Every time I go to the toilet to pass stool I get a terrible pain / cramp down left in my stomach under the belly. This can sometimes be so severe pain that I can't even stand up. I just lay down on the floor in fetal position. Luckily this only last for 10 - 15 minutes.

I also have periods with loose stools, hard stools, air, a feeling of fullness and burping. It's like my stomach have decided to be anything but normal.

What can this be? I will be honest I say that while I was in Laos I drank a decent amount of alcohol. I almost only drank a cheap type of whisky that has probably been produced under very questionable surroundings regarding hygiene etc. I suspect this week with that whisky was what triggered everything.

But that is so long ago now. Why do I still have so many issues with my stomach? I eat normal and healthy. I drink very little alcohol normally. I don't use any medicine or take any illegal drugs. I should be in perfect condition lol...

I was with several doctors in Thailand, but they all just gave me antibiotics and vitamins. These pills never did anything.

Anyone any idea? What can this be? What can I eat? What can I not eat? Will this go away? Who can help me?

2. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      Beat guess.....you have Irritable Bowel Syndrome as a consequence of having had a gut infection. Often happens after a nasty gut bug and can take some months to settle.

However, you should go to see your doctor who can a) Give you some meds. to calm your symptoms and b) investigate you if he/she sees fit to exclude other diagnoses.

Unless you are found to have a specific infection which is sensitive to a particular antibiotic, then antibiotics are best avoided. They just kill the normal, helpful bacteria and can even lead to pseudo-membranous colitis.

Pro and pre-biotic drinks and tablets should help to recolonise your bowel with 'good' bacteria.

Go see your doctor and take the 'bionics'.

Good Luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Mine ended up being gallstones and had gallbladder out...
      Hope you feel better soon.
      Nice to see you back on here...
      Love glynis

• Funny Funny x 1
    4. Anima

Anima Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma/metronidazole+kanamycin
      Meeruf, can't you ask your GP to get you a gastroscopy? What you are experiencing looks very much like a Helicobacter Pylori infection and gastritis related to that bacteria. Go to your doctor for help, don't delay it because things can get nasty if HP is causing the problem.
      Regards.

5. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      OK, well this member has not been here for a month but I'll chime in. Unless you have already done so, you should get tested for Celiac Disease, which is an autoimmune disorder that is brought about by the ingestion of the protein Gluten, found in wheat, rye and barley. There is no cure for CD, other than dietary changes, which usually results in remission of symptoms. Symptoms can mimic IBS, but CD can be very dangerous, it destroys the villi in the small intestine, which brings about nutritional deficiencies and if left untreated, it can lead to many other conditions including cancer in some cases.

6. Dginobile

Dginobile Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, Satan perhaps?
      @glynis hey I have to get my gallbladder removed soon but Iā€™m terrified it will increase my T, did everything go ok with your surgery? And what meds did they have you taking