What to Do First? EMDR or TRT?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MJv, May 12, 2017.

1. MJv
      No Mood

MJv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't know
      Please advise, many thanks

2. RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      Why not both? I do not see why you could not get both therapies at the same time.

3. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I haven't heard of EMDR being used for T; good to know it's offered. Will have to look into it. As @RudyL90 said, you could always do both. Probably best going whoever has the most experience in their field.

4. RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      I do not think EMDR can be used to treat T directly. It would only be useful if the source of the T is some traumatic experience (which still causes strong emotions when thought about) in the past. But I do not think that the T will decrease if the impact of the traumatic experience has been diminished.

I have read however some posts on a DIY EMDR technique which could work. The idea is to convince your subconscious that T is nothing to worry about by tell yourself in the mirror "Tinnitus is [insert a word that you associate with rest/peace]". (Do not use more then three words, your subconscious can only handle three) You'll have to look into one eye and say it, then switch to the other and say it again and switch back and so forth. Do it like forty times every day. Note: only do it when you are already in a relaxed state. Doing it in a stressed state will not do the trick.
      I might not describe the technique fully correct here. If you are interested in trying the technique, you could read about it in the posts of Silvine, which start on page 3 of the back to silence thread:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/page-3

5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      This was on our Tinnitus Hub Facebook group today.

Dear all, it seems that EMDR therapy gives good results in treating tinnitus. I just read an article (in Dutch I'm afraid) that 50% of the people that were treated with EMDR improved. The article was published 22 September.

More information: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/20008198.2018.1512248

6. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Thanks Glynis.
      Just to clarify, it is an improvement in the Tinnitus distress (they measure it via the TFI), not a reduction of the Tinnitus stimulus.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1