What to Take for the Period Pain That Is Not Ototoxic?

Discussion in 'Support' started by iAzra, Apr 11, 2017.

1. iAzra
      Curious

iAzra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, Stress, Nose hit
      Hello!

Since I have really painful periods, one or two days I can not really walk of how hard pain sometimes can be I used to take ibuprofen. I lowered the dose to 100 mg per 10 hours just to make me function although pain is still there but I want to cut it out if I can, cause I do take 2-3 tablets every month!

I have been trying to find what anti pain med is NOT ototoxic but haven't had any success. Have anyone had this dilemma before and have found med for period pain that is not ototoxic?

Help? Thank you :)

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @iAzra,
      I find paracetamol helps and you might like to try the 24 hour heat patch that can be worn to help with pain.
      Do you find your tinnitus spikes around Menstruation also?

Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      iAzra
      Curious

iAzra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I think it does spike before my M, but it also spikes when the weather is changing etc.. I guess when ever brain chemistry changes...

Paracetamol is hard for liver, yes? And milder in effect? I can not remember it now but I know I have dismiss it for some reason.. I will look into it again..

• Like Like x 1
    4. Elinor
      No Mood

Elinor Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and barotrauma
      100 mg of ibuprofen is a very low dose. I don't think you are at any risk of ototoxicity from that, especially since you only use it for a few days. :)

Taking 500 mg or 250 mg of paracetamol twice a month too is unlikely to damage your liver. You can use both paracetamol and ibuprofen together, they don't interract. You can for instance try using one of them in the morning and the other one later during the day.

Also, if your M is painful have you considered any form of hormonal birth control? Birth control is often prescribed for menstrual pains as they usually reduce or even eliminate them. It is also not ototoxic.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      iAzra
      Curious

iAzra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hej @Elinor thanks for your advice!
      I know it is not high dose but I only lowered it a year ago. Until then I used monthly maybe up to 1 000 iburpofen for the pain.. I started totake it in high school, so it is like almost 15 years of monthly painkillers. We are working on a baby atm so pills are no options.. Also, I was on pills for few years back then, while taking them everything was a ok but when I got of.. my cycle went crazy :( Never went back to tip top 28 day like before.. But hey, offtopic here :D

6. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I saw at least one study that concluded that men who consumed paracetamol on a regular basis had much worse hearing than men who didn't. The study was only looking at men, so take that as you will, but I don't take that stuff anymore as a result.

7. kharaa
      Depressed

kharaa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 3rd 2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Damage
      Acetaminophine(Paracetamol) is pretty safe if used occasionally, it only becomes a problem if you're using it excessively, 1000mg like once or twice a day when you need it won't hurt your liver.

I've taken ibuprofun for over a decade with severe tinnitus, no real change.

8. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      It would only be for a few days a month and I think a safer option than prescription medication.
      I think men need them to put up with our PMT mood swings:nailbiting::meh::confused::LOL:
      Im glad you told up about them.

Love glynis x

9. Fernando81
      Alone

Fernando81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety - stress
      Dexibuprofen is not ototoxic and it is quite good for pain. Powerful than paracetamol, and milder for your liver.
      God bless you

10. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Do you have Panadol extra in your country? Its Panadol combined with caffeine and makes the analgesic effects much stronger :) I would take that as your safest option

11. Flamingo

Flamingo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      1/2 tablespoon tumeric in warm milk (plant-based milk works too).