What's Happening? Am I Habituationg or Getting Better?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Swannys, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Swannys
      Panicky

Swannys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure possibly stress
      Good evening,

I am a dance teacher and I have just come home from work teaching dance for 4 hours, I love my job! Since I have had T since Nov last year as you all well know its been and still is a rollercoaster......I closed my dance school in the first month or so I just couldn't face the kids, then when I reopened I was very wobbly and thought about T all the way through my lessons, dreading turning the music off and hearing the damned noise again but tonight was different and the last couple of weeks have been.

At some points in my classes I not only didn't hear my T but I actually forgot I had it when I was lost in my teaching and demonstrating stuff.. It was really good while it was happening but then the reality hits me everytime I stop or turn the music off...If you saw me teaching dance tonight you would not know I had tinnitus, laughing and joking with the kids, leaping across the studio etc, however, this morning I was crying heavily for ages as I felt so low, helpless and hopeless with this condition and now Im home and my T is loud/intrusive again Im sad again and feeling hopeless and down about it all...

I just don't understand how I can feel so good, not think about it or hear it much while Im teaching then feel so bad and have it my face upsetting me......

I now its a good thing that I can work and I enjoy it but it almost feels like its not real. Am I habituating/recovering/getting better? I pray that I am but sometimes I just feel like Im kidding myself and Im just putting an act on when Im teaching. So confused right now and happy that I have this relief at the same time.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Is it more intrusive now after class, or as usual?

Do you use any ear protection?
      If not, you really should.

3. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Tinnitus is still very new in your life. I think it's normal that you're having very hard times. It will get better with time, you will focus less and less on it and thus will be happier ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Swannys
      Panicky

Swannys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure possibly stress
      Hi @Sven no I don't use protection but I think I will now you've said it. Do you think I'm getting better by not thinking about it when I teach?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Swannys
      Panicky

Swannys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure possibly stress
      Hi @Julien87 thank you. Are you recovered now?

6. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      I still have my T but it bothers me less than before. Sometimes I feel like it's not in my head anymore, like it has been put on standby, your brain can actually put it on its ignore list :D

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Swannys
      Panicky

Swannys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure possibly stress
      @Michael Leigh hi would you be able to give me your thoughts on my thread please, I value your response

8. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Swannys

I have read your post. It is good that you are able to participate in the things that you like to do, and hope you will keep teaching dance classes. Tinnitus can be complex and at times a person can feel like they are on a rollercoaster. Take each day as it comes because the habituation process takes time. If it is stress that has caused your tinnitus, then trying to manage whatever is in your life which is causing the stress will have a beneficial affect on the tinnitus. There are various ways of treating this. Firstly, I'd recommend having a word with your GP, who may prescribe something to help relax you and this maybe in the form of an antidepressant. Some people don't like taking them and I understand their reasons. However, it can help you to not get so emotionally upset whenver your tinnitus appears to be more intrusive and acts as a safty net.

In addition to prescription medication, counselling with a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist, trained in the treatment and management of tinnitus can be helpful. Also consider deep relaxation exercises. If you are able to spare 30mins 3 to 5 times a week to practice this technique you will realize the benefits. The more relaxed we are the tinnitus will be less intrusive. Please go to my "started threads" and read my posts on counselling and relaxation therapy for tinnitus.

With medication, counselling if you can get it and relaxation excercises I feel you'll make steady improvement. Stress is directly linked to tinnitus so the more this can be reduced it will have a positive impact on the tinnitus.

All the best
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      All I know is that sometimes when you're very into something you're doing, no matter what, the brain's interest for your T can temporarily go away. When that's the default then you've habituated.
      That said, I don't know if you can say that you've gotten better. The T can still be the same, it just doesn't bother you as much.

Isn't it possible it's dance classes that caused your T? My experience (my 9-year old takes disco dance classes) is that the music is always (too?) loud. No matter what I think you should protect your ears.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Littlewolf

Littlewolf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Dude try watching this video. It changed my life. Tinnitus does go away. Stay strong.
      How I Got Better From Tinnitus

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    11. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Tinnitus researcher Richard Hallam described four stages of habituation. I think you're probably now entering into stage two, which is the one I've been in for a while. Isn't it nice to have an improvement such as not being as aware of the T noise at times? Congratulations!

Here is more info:
      https://www.cbtfortinnitus.com/stages-of-habituation/

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
      • Like Like x 2
    12. Sonic17
      Wishful

Sonic17 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      My daughter is 13 years old and has been in dance since she was 3. I developed Tinnitus last year and have often thought "how do those dancers not get Tinnitus, the music is so loud."
      Sorry you had to join the forum. Your day sounds similar to mine in that I can absorb myself while busy with other people when there is some background noise, but when alone in the evening the noise in my head/ears is so loud and annoying.
      I hope for you that your Tinnitus goes away. I have complained to my daughter's dance teachers that they play their music too loud and are damaging young children' ears (this was before I had T). I really think dance studios should have regulations as to how loud they can play their music with children.
      I wish you well and that your Tinnitus fades away.

• Like Like x 2
    13. Sonic17
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      This is great!!!:)

• Like Like x 1
    14. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      The sad fact is that, not all that listen to loud music get tinnitus. I know people that go to concerts and still do not have tinnitus. No two people are alike and our body chemistries are different. It makes no sense to me how this could be, but it is...what it is...

I have been exposed to loud sounds as a child, it was my bout with the horrible cold/flu/sickness that cemented it and made the ears ring for the first time....

We should still protect our ears and the ears of our children from loud/damaging noises....

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Littlewolf - many thanks for posting this.
      Charming natural guy, and some of the best advice I’ve heard.
      I do meditate every morning and use the ‘exposure’ method before drifting off.

I do not really accept his idea that T has nothing to do with hearing loss, or noise induction.
      That makes no sense to me, particularly when we know that a traumatic event/events preceded both hearing loss, and the onset of T.

However, as a method of reducing stress levels and anxiety, I believe acceptance of T sounds is good.
      I personally can not share his religious experience; I’ve never made any headway in that direction.
      But thanks again for posting.

• Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Swannys
      Panicky

Swannys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure possibly stress
      Thank you everyone x

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Littlewolf

Littlewolf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      In most cases tinnitus is your auditory sensors in the brain that pick up the sound not the ear. I personally don’t have any hearing loss and I have tinnitus and I read a lot of people’s stories saying they don’t have any hearing loss. It’s different for everyone

18. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      I read somewhere that 99 % Of ppl with T have some kind of hearing loss. Also the brain is responsible for the noise. Maybe hearing loss above 8K .

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Hearing loss above 8 K is what I have.

20. Sonic17
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      I have mild mid frequency hearing loss, 4-5 K.