Which Earplugs Would You Choose for Cinema?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sarah200, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The way I see it, if an activity increases the chance of getting a permanent T spike (or getting burned alive, or getting "locked-in" syndrome, etc.) it is wise to avoid it. In other words, some things are So horrific that you don't want to take Any chances. You seem to have completely missed my point about bear encounters and the fact that the majority of smokers won't actually get sick as a result of smoking. Those activities are not safe, and that is what ought to matter.

In other words, if I know that one of the candies in a jar containing M&M candies will give me cancer, I won't be interested in eating candy from that jar, despite the fact that I am likely to not get that poisoned candy.

Whereas one example of something not being safe proves that it is unsafe, no amount of examples of something being safe actually proves that it is safe.

In any case, in the spirit of missing people's points, since you asked for another quote, here is one more quote for you:
      First of all, this is the reason I am not just pasting text into my posts, but quote people in such a way that it is easy to go and read their context of their message, follow up messages (if any), etc. Second of all, what part of
      is not clear? What difference does it make whether or not someone had H IF THEY ENDED UP WITH A PERMANENT SPIKE?
      Anxiety might cause a spike lasting a day or two. Perhaps several days. Anxiety is NOT going to cause a Permanent spike.
      I quoted only the people who wrote that, in THEIR opinion, the spike was Caused by the loud event. They are the best person to make an informed decision about that.
      That's what people whom I quoted were doing.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Zug

I like reading your posts as they often give good advice and please continue to do so. Whilst you may not be a believer in using a sound machine or other device for sound enrichment. I assure you it is not hiding under a rock. I have over 22 years experience with tinnitus and have counselled many people with it and therefore, know the benefits of using sound enrichment. Most Hearing Therapists and Audiologists that practice tinnitus and hyperacusis management with tinnitus patients, advise them to use sound enrichment whenever possible and particularly at night, which I endorse entirely. @Sarah200 mentioned when opening a window noticed the tinnitus recede further into the background and wanted to know the reason for this which I explained. Thus, one can clearly see the benefits of using sound enrichment in this instance.

I haven't been to the cinema in many years @Sarah200 so I advise to buy your noise reducing plugs and go and watch the film. Your tinnitus is mild and from what you say, it wasn't caused by "loud noise". This is in your favour so go out and hope you have a nice time and please let me know how you get on.

All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 2
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Especially if you end up developing debilitating tinnitus as a result of that evening full of fun.

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I expected much better from you Bill, I'm very disappointed. Sarah will be just fine...
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I am just hoping that in the event that she is NOT fine, others could learn from her mistakes and act accordingly.

6. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      • Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Thanks Michael, I'm still buying a sound machine as sometimes not always my T annoys me at night so being able to listen to the sound of rain will be very relaxing and will help focas on getting to sleep. I will let everyone know how I get on but I think I am overthinking it as when I read Zugs post whivw I liked reading as much as your Micheal , it was when Zug said
      This was the best part because being a big marvel Geek , this made me laugh but Zug also reminded me that as soon as I finally get to see thanos the mad Titan onscreen illI forget all about my Tinnitus and would be in marvel land:popcorndrink::ROFL:

• Like Like x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Why is Bill so negative? Surely you can't say Michael, Zug , my GP , Audiologist and other members are wrong?

Mine is not caused by noise and so have a better chance of being fine, plus Zug has recently been to cinema and is fine and I'm only going this once , also I asked Micheal about using the hairdryer as I get a spike for like 3 secs and he advised putting plugs in so as I'm waiting for my plugs I tried this morning drying my hair with tissue paper in both ears (I know it's not as good as plugs but it was all I had at hand) and guess what no spike , so as Micheal helped me with that I will be be listening to him as he clearly knows what he's talking about and if he and others say I'm fine then I'll be fine as I said once I see Thanos on screen I'll forget I have Tinnitus from excitement.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have every confidence @Sarah200 is not making any mistakes. Her tinnitus is mild and probably wasn't caused by loud noise. She is buying noise reducing earplugs and is following my advice and hopefully others that see things as I do. Tinnitus is a condition that many people have and are able to carry on with their life doing everything that they want to. This includes going out and having a good time, at the a cinema, club or concert. This doesn't mean one should be cavalier and throw caution to the wind. Often it is reckless behaviour and total disregard for tinnitus which makes peoples tinnitus worse when caused by "loud noise". Returning to using headphones and repeatedly subjecting their ears to loud music at venues. These are the mistakes that people make.

Michael

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This might explain why their T is not fading, or why it is getting louder as time goes on.
      I don't.
      I expected much better from you Michael. I might sound like I am saying this tongue-in-cheek (quoting your earlier post to me), but I really do believe that you are encouraging people to be reckless.
      For now.

11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are entitled to your opinion Bill. Please remember I have a lot of experience with tinnitus. If you read some of the posts in this forum from people that have followed my advice, it is often complimentary. I often get calls and emails from people expressing this.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Bill has a very negative outlook on life; perhaps its a result of his Tinnitus or something else. I don't know. He is entitled to his opinion, but its not good for new Tinnitus suffers to read as the they need hope, and they need a way to break the negative emotional that tinnitus causes.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Your GP and your audiologist don't know anything about tinnitus.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...orum-more-useful-than-your-ents-advice.28006/

The last time zug, pleasure-polly, and I had this discussion, the number of supporters on both sides were about even.
      You have a good chance of being fine if you don't do reckless things. In any case, the way I see it, the only outcome that is better than saving a person from a lifetime of suffering, is having them regret for the rest of their life disregarding all of the information you had provided them with.

14. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      They also need to not make their T louder. They need to learn from the mistakes made by others.

15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      A pessimist is an experienced optimist.

16. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      Go for the alpine plugs (no plugs or earmuffs are 100% as in there are other issues that you need to take into consideration ie bass levels etc) I’ve been the cinema 3 times and have had no issues. There are some that have had issues but I’m not sure if that was temporary?! Anxiety often seems to be the main antagonist in these type of stories you see on here. It’s all about how you feel, if you decide to go, listen to your body, if the noise makes you anxious or affects your ears then I would leave and wait for it to come on Blueray.

Some people have an extremely negative outlook on life, are happy to live a life of solitude and that’s their choice but everybody is different. Please don’t let that impact how you live your life, always be cautious and prepared that’s something I agree on. As far as sounds machines go, I would download an app on your phone or tablet if you have one, there are many that will give you the same sounds as the machine, see they help before spending money on one of them.

It’s your choice at the end of the day, everybody has different ways of dealing with their T, it’s what suits you best and remember nobody is an expert on T in here as far as I know. Some have good advice and I would think most is common sense but you do what’s in your own best interest.

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Beautifully expressed @Pleasure_Paulie and couldn't agree with you more.
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      They can Have hope that if they protect their ears, their T will fade.

19. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      Hi buy yourself a projector and watch it at home

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
    21. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

I had the MusicSafe Pro. If you notice, it has different sets of filters, with varying db reduction.

I can't really talk about the other one since I didn't wear them, but by the pictures on the website they look pretty similar.

Best,
      Zug

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      Agree with what @Zug said, I have both and the musicsafe ones do have a different set of filters. I honestly didn’t notice a difference in both plugs when I’ve used them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lots of great advice in this thread. You are always going to get the best protection from custom, as they will always be inserted quickly, but if you're after some invisible plugs a few options I use are from best to least protection.

- Killnoise - best protection
      - 3M E.A.R Clear
      - EarDial
      -Earasers - least protection (I like these as they have the least occlusion effect)

These all sit in the ear and nobody ever notices.

24. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I think that the author @Sarah200 of this thread will be just fine and she's taking extra measures with earplugs.

25. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Could you share a link to the 3M option? I can’t find them on Amazon but would like to check them out. Thanks!

26. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
    27. fran dana
      No Mood

fran dana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      origin unknow.2016 get worse because of work in armament lab
      Anxiety can make your tinnitus worse. I do not want to say that it is so in your case, I hope not. but in all the threads you comment on the same negative mood about protection (overprotection). In this particular case, I agree that the cinema manages very high levels of sound volume, especially in commercials, not to mention in action films. but sometimes the way you express things only scares people when they should help

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      I strongly urge everyone to buy custom fitted earplugs. They're expensive, but the best money you'll ever spend. Multiple filters allow for use in just about any situation, and they actually IMPROVE the sound in loud environments by acting as a compressor.

I genuinely think everyone should have a pair, regardless of their hearing status.

• Like Like x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sarah200
      Suicidal

Sarah200 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold
      Ok so , I'm going to be honest with everyone before I posted I was very happy and not scared of going to the cinema, after Bill Bauer's comments I am a little nervous even though I know I should be fine with plugs, it also doesn't help I'm experiencing a spike in my left ear.

I want to say I really appreciate everyone taking there time to help me, so thank you all :thankyousign::huganimation:.

I can't afford custom ones and even though my sister offered to pay for them they won't be done in time for the film, I got in contact with Alpine who said both earplugs would be great but the MusicSafe Pro might be better for peace of mind with different dB level protection.

• Hug Hug x 1
    30. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Sarah200,
      You should be fine with ear protection but I would go with how you feel emotionally with your tinnitus at the moment and if you have a spike can you manage ok.
      If so then you go see it and have a great time and don't go listening of any changes.
      Love glynis