Who Got Their Tinnitus From Using Guns?

Discussion in 'Support' started by OptimusPrimed, Dec 2, 2014.

1. OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

OptimusPrimed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma - Repeated gun blasts
      Just wondering if anyone else developed T after discharging a firearm without hearing protection.

I have moderate H and T after one acoustic trauma event from a day of hunting with a semi-auto shotgun. My T is a hissing/ringing accompanied with a high frequency tone and occasional "electrical squeaks".

Anyone else in the same boat and how did you cope?

2. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      My husband. But his T doesn't bother him. Don't think it's very loud (at least compared to mine)
      He always uses hearing protection now, but I guess it was from his younger days when you think you are invincible and don't need to worry about that stuff

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Does he also have distorted hearing? Or can he hear clearly from his gun ear? Mine is totally distorted in my gun ear (like a broken speaker)...Thanks.

4. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      As far as I know he has normal hearing - although he does have a small degree of hearing loss (age related or from noise)

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I see. I'm glad his hearing is still normal. I'd love to speak to others who have "distorted" hearing and ask how they deal with it.

Cheers

6. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      If I yell, sing loud, or play music too loud my left ear distorts. It has since the mid 70's. The distortion goes away after a few days if I baby my ears. Sometimes I have to put cotton in for a few days if it's really bad.

7. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      mine is partly from gunfire in the military when I was younger. My tinnitus really hit doing drilling exploration. As a former avid hunter I would say something like 50% of all shooters hunters have a form of tinnitus. If you go over to www.acccuratereloading.com , the world's largest shooting forum and ask there, you will get some idea from all of the pro hunters and lifetime shooters. Tinnitus is extremely common for them. A lot of them are ex military folk, including ex vietnam vets. Funnily enough most don't care, they seem to have that 'gradual stable hearing loss related' tinnitus that either doesn't scare them or they just learnt to get used to at some stage, since they all still enjoy hunting. This is probably the same statistic as for the military, and again most have levels that do not bug them like we have it. However there are a few cases in where they get the instant version from just one shot or shooting session like yours. These guys find it a lot harder to adjust since one minute they are fine, the next its with them. The consolation is you will find most adjust to it .

Personally I quit shooting when my tinnitus got very bad last year. The fact is even with the best hearing protection, or two sets of hearing protection( earmuffs over earbuds) the impulse noise of most guns being 140-160db is only reduced to 100-120db per shot. One off or seasonal hunting I don't think it would be too bad, you only fire a few shots a year at game.But as I shot high volumes at public ranges( where you are also exposed to the other 10-20 shooters blasting away for an hour) I realised I would be getting exposed to thousands of shots too many.

Don't cry over split milk though, none of us can read the future and no point being hard 9n yourself. A million people use guns all their career without hearing protection and never get T. You weren't to know you would be in the other group. Me either. I suggest talking to some hunting and shooting forums really. You have some rough tough professionals as well as doctors dentists and CEO's on these sites with T, and not inclined to let it stop them living, they might be able to help you change your prespective on it. On the website I suggested contact MacD37 username in a new thread. If he is still around he has a story of when he got tinnitus I think in the Korean war. Just one session, quad mounted 50 cals as a young man, and he had both ears going like sirens ever since in his words,( suggesting severe bilateral multi-tonal tinnitus). He got used to it though, and went on to be an airline pilot and amateur big game hunter until he retired half a century later.

8. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I would be surprised if these guys didn't get it, how can people be so stupid really:
      Albanians in picnic

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    9. Wow, I'm not sure I've seen such stupid people before. Just watching that video can give you tinnitus! Really, whenever I think the American South has stupid covered . . .. .

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
    11. I just got back from the shooting range. I shot some 9mm through a Glock 19 & 43. I wore muffs and plugs and did not notice any T issues. Although, I am always paranoid about it so I listen for it and even wore my muffs back to the house while driving. I always have a bit of the hiss/static sound in my right ear and if I listen for it I'll hear it so . . . it is what it is. Truthfully, I haven't been to the range in a long time and probably won't go back for a long time either. The only time I'd use my gun is if my life was threatened at close range so I don't need to hit a bullseye.