Who or What Do You Blame for Your Hearing Loss, Tinnitus, or Other Challenging Thing?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Filip, Jul 30, 2016.

1. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      They would be proactively reducing their customer base if they did that... I doubt it's going to come from them.

Errr, rather than requiring everyone to have and wear ear plugs (which generally distort the sound anyway), how about just play at a lower volume? Same goal, fewer moving parts & requirements, and it affects everyone in one shot.

Unfortunately for gigs nowadays, decibel levels are a "badge of honor". The louder, the more "awesome"...

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Foam ear plugs would muffle the sound, i use musicians ones which just lower the volume. Yeah i don't know why they are so loud, it would be great if the volume would be lowered!

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I used drunk drives as an example because it's ubiquitous and easy enough for everyone to understand; careless and reckless drivers can be just as bad.

I just find it much harder to accept things that permanently effect your quality of life that were caused by others. Especially when the situation that caused it never gets resolved. Taking medications falls in the category of being partly the doctors fault and partly the patients in my opinion, unless you were underage or were forced into take it. Not that doctors can't be irresponsible, but the point I'm getting at is few things are entirely someone else's fault.

I recently had one doctor that deals with a lot of people who have tinnitus tell me that those who get tinnitus from someone else don't seem to improve until the situation that caused it gets resolved, like people that were in car accidents and there is a lawsuit involved. Sometimes things never get resolved.

I just cannot accept my situation and how I was swept under the rug. I get frustrated with the person that caused it (he's apologetic but is really one of those people that only cares about the consequences his actions have on himself), but I get even more angry with other people involved and how I was treated after the injury. I was swept under the rug, they focused on any plausible deniability and made it seem like I was making it all up since the symptoms are entirely subjective even though loud tinnitus and hyperacusis has wreaked havoc on my life. I was even threatened and told I was not allowed to talk about the injury or my symptoms with co-workers, so aside from a few people no one even understands what I'm going through and why it has affected my sleep and my work, they just think I'm being lazy or grumpy or making up the noise sensitivity issues. Because WC law is a no-fault system I am completely screwed, injured, and backed into a corner. I would rather be cured than win millions, but everything after just pours salt into the wound.

• Hug Hug x 2
    4. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I blame my school system that didn't warn me or tell me how tinnitus do people in

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I don't know tbh,I blame fate for giving me T as I literally just got it for no apparent or obvious reason.

I blame my doc for it getting worse a year later as they gave me earplugs and told me if I was going anywhere loud that I would be fine if I wore them,I was not.

My worsening two years later was between three people,myself a doc and YouTube.I blame myself because a month before my spike I was literally on top of the world and went to my friends stag do.Whilst there it began to get loud and I attempted to do what I always did and leave but they had locked the doors because yippee they had organised a stripper as a joke.I was stuck there for at least half an hour before I rushed home.A month later I went to a doc to get my ears cleared out of wax as its a problem I sometimes get.I usually get them suctioned by a nurse but she was off that day and she does it so quietly it never spiked my T or caused any issues.This guy however was a complete idiot and I left half way through because he was torturing me,my hearing was iffy and I had a horrible spike in my left ear.Two days later the YouTube incident occurred and that was the beginning of H.

My worsening two years later I blame myself for,I got way better and started to live a somewhat normal life again but I overdone it and screwed myself into being disabled.

6. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      The ENT that performed microsuction on my ears. VERY loud but at the time I was naive, and didn't expect a procedure by an ENT could potentially cause this kind of damage. I was given no warnings about the possible side effects of microsuction. NONE! If I'd know I would never have gone. My hearing was fine before, no tinnitus, no hyperacusis and no hearing loss. Now I have the lot and some!

BE WARNED, MICROSUCTION IS NOT WITHOUT RISKS! Obviously it depends in the competence of the practitioner too...I was unlucky :-(

7. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Metallica and all those other lowlife scumbag musicians that blast ultra-loud music at people, especially kids. And the health authorities that permit it.

8. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

The Universe, of course. But the Universe doesn't care, so screw him :p

9. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      James and Lars both have tinnitus too. I totally agree more awareness needs to spread about the effects of loud noise.

I blame my neighbours burgler alarm external sounder but it was my own stupidity for going near it to disable it!
      Not a day goes without me regretting it. Self hate is grim.