Why Are All These Potential Treatments Taking So Long?

Discussion in 'Support' started by valeri, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Thanks for the information on Retagabine and H. Has it helped more than just slowly exposing yourself more and more to everyday noises as is recommended?

2. @linearb It appears that you may be having a bad day. I am sorry you feel such a need to attack people today. My brother has seen me locked up with pain and suffering and internal noise from T & H for over a year now. Every treatment that is supposed to help has made it much worse, which is one of the reasons I joined this thread. My noise level is what I rate as a screaming 10, 24/7. My brother has seen me lose everything in life that I have worked for because of this affliction, and he has told me I am the strongest person he knows. I think his statement shows understanding and compassion for what I am experiencing. It breaks his heart every single day. Especially given that he, too, suffers from T, and is able to mask it. He has found a treatment that helps him. My T is unmaskable, and is a very different beast. I don't really see a need for such attacks on this forum, when people are here for support. I see that you've had T since 1998, so you, of all people, should have some compassion for T sufferers if you are still on a tinnitus forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Alphasignal5
      Scared

Alphasignal5 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Man there's a lot of agro in this thread. Can't be doing anyone's T any good!

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. I agree with you Alphasignal5.

5. Zechariah

Zechariah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Ok, when I took a look at graphs there wasn't TCD big enough for Prof Jeanmonod to offer HIFU. Atleast that's how I understood it. I guess there is always a risk for deafness in this kind of procedures but I wasn't aware that there is a great risk of losing your hearing with HIFU.

Medical professionals can prescribe you something to take off the edge from anxiety/depression etc. I would help a lot in the first month or two.

6. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Neither was I. In fact, I wasn't even aware that there was any risk in relation to hearing. And I did spend an entire day with the professor.
      It would be even better if medical professionals could revoke certain people's Internet connection.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    7. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      They say Tinitus wont kill you. It can cause heart problems, addiction problems, stomach breakdowns as well.
      Over 50 million US citizens have different levels of this nasty malady. What are they waiting for? In a few years it will be over 70 mil and counting. They can invent bombs and weapons that do everything imaginable. But relief or a cure for T- thats another thing. Personally I have chronic T an H. Im wearing out!

I write an email to the White House every so often. They responded back that the Pres. is doing more that others.
      Write to your senators and other elected officials. Most of them dont even know about this national problem.
      Heck My doctor didnt even know what Hyper acusis is!

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      @ruben ruiz , we are the less than 2% minority. Too insignificant to be dealed with. Heck, they even abandoned their veterans. It's a sad world.

I'd suggest we all unite as ONE and do what they did in Ferguson. We need to rattle their bones with weapons and stones.

9. Cymro41
      Gloomy

Cymro41 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sorry Stink but great developments are taking place in the diseases you mention. This forum is meant to provide hope and relief for fellow sufferers. There are many reports of exciting developments in the field of hearing and tinnitus and neurology in general.

10. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Only about 30 000 people in the US have cystic fibrosis. That's less than 0.01 %. Yet there is a lot of research about it being done. In the private sector too.

Hell, very recently there was a breakthrough by Vertex Pharmaceuticals:

http://cysticfibrosisnewstoday.com/...-recent-cf-breakthroughs-show-cure-can-found/

11. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...be-we-can-know-more.3131/page-127#post-360596

12. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Certainly more research is needed, but there is completed research by devoted brilliant researchers and more ongoing research. The web has thousands of pages of research, causes and some treatments for hundreds of conditions that can associate with tinnitus.

I'm afraid all of this will never make a difference for those with tinnitus as the medical community will never learn and adopt many treatments. It's about time, cost and profit. Complete individual examination needs to be adopted and most doctors are incapable or don't have interest. One can learn more about tinnitus, causes and self treatments than going to a doctor just by doing their own research and by visiting this board and using the search function.

It may be different if it was just a safe pill, but I wonder many doctors will adopt the pretesting and treatment plans from Susan Shore. Even after approval of a treatment, it may take the medical community decades to adopt in providing treatment that researchers have discovered and developed. These are some very successful treatments for certain conditions that relate to tinnitus, but finding a doctor to do the procedure without traveling the Globe is often next to impossible.

Most doctors only see a 30 minute video on tinnitus while in medical school. Most ENTs and even neuros only take a couple of classes that relate to tinnitus. Finding a neuro that only sees ones with tinnitus is next to impossible. Even many of the physical therapy clinics associated with hospitals never heard of the word tinnitus.

13. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      Many of you here are old enough to remember Jose Delgado's bull experiment, where he stopped a raging bull in his tracks armed with nothing else than a control unit, through which he signalled the bulls brain.
      This was in 1963 and that video is freely available on youtube.
      After that he moved onto controlling monkeys and humans, with whom he was able to control limb movement against their will and induce any emotion he desired..fear, anxiety, euphoria, rage..etc.
      Again, this was in 1963!!

Just immagine how far along in brain research we are now, 55 years later..yet no cure for tinnitus?

The know-how is out there...but unfortunatelly there is nothing to be gained by curing tinnitus.
      If you can't maim, kill or control someone with it, these people are simply not interested...otherwise there would be a tinnitus cure tomorrow.
      They are more than capable but again..there is nothing for them to be gained by doing so.

Yes they threw some chump change at few trials that will most likely fail, but it is mainly just to create impression that something is being done.
      Tinnitus is not a priority to them and they don't give 2 sh*ts about your suffering.
      This is the sad reality..unfortunatelly.