Why Aren’t You Donating Time or Money for Tinnitus Awareness / Research?

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Jack Straw, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      ‘.........er........make a video........!’

2. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Helping the cause is not about just giving money, that is merely one facet. One can contribute in so many ways as has been pointed out already, and even a simple like or share of a post on social media can make a significant difference, especially if many others do the same.

Donating our time so that certain actions can be fulfilled is monumental and in doing so we are directly helping ourselves and others. There are people here who have given so much already that I’m truly blown away and humbled. In fact, I’m quite embarrassed that there’s an ambassador badge next to my name which is something that I don’t think I’m worthy of. If anything, I’m an ambassador of being opinionated and having a big mouth :LOL:, as arguments seem to follow me around a bit too much. All well-intentioned though!

What we need are more action takers amongst the community.

3. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Spot on ringinghours.
      If there was any company showing ‘real’ promise, big business would be interested.
      We need a stroke of genius backed up by substantial scientific data.
      We are quite simply not there... x

4. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Where’s our fight for future generations?

I’m aware that this isn’t everyone’s battle and nobody should feel that anything is expected of them, but if the community as a whole was more vocal away from forums, etc, then the world would take it more seriously.

If we could say unequivocally that no cure was coming in the next 20 years, then that to me would suggest that more needs to be done now. Not tomorrow, or next week, or next year: now.

That’s my two cents at least.

5. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I am totally committed to raising awareness on social media platforms, so that the public may have some idea as to how much we suffer.

In fact I am criticised and targeted for doing so, sometimes with derision and hate speech.
      Raising public awareness just takes the courage to do it, which I have amply demonstrated in a very personal fashion.

As you know, I did encourage donations to Tinnitus Talk to be forwarded to research institutes.

I am no longer capable of donating myself, having no income whatsoever.
      My lovely industrious wife does two jobs now just to keep us afloat.

The problem I see is that no project on the current horizon arouses much confidence that we are even getting close.
      So many products have come, failed, and gone.
      Of course we cannot be sure that this ‘thing’ is actually fixable.

It’s not just a matter of throwing money at research institutes - we need a master stroke.

6. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      My comment above wasn’t aimed at you, it was aimed at the whole community and was in keeping with the spirit of this thread.

Your awareness video was amazing and I’ve said this many times. It was heartfelt and very endearing which is exactly what we need. Unfortunately, the kind of vitriol you’re talking about is becoming far too commonplace on social media nowadays and the people who behave in this way are simply cowards hiding beneath a veil of anonymity. This gives them the belief that they can do or say anything they want which is really rather tragic and says more about their empty character than anything else.

Nobody is asking you to personally donate money, Dave. I’ve seen you mention this a few times now and there’s really no need. It’s totally understandable and you don’t have to explain yourself. I believe the spirit of helping goes far beyond monetary contributions, such as your awareness video, for example. I started a thread the other day asking people to get involved by writing to their MPs so that we can gain more momentum on a political level, but the thread has got tumbleweed blowing across it.

Again, these are just my observations, but whenever we need the community at large to come together to help with something, it seems that only a very tiny percentage are ever interested in doing so.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Adaś
      Tired

Adaś Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones, Stress, Rock concerts
      To be honest, I am ready to donate a decent amount now if it goes to biomedical research that has solid foundations. It would be great if this could work like a Kickstarter, so all the donations are registered and the project owners must provide clear schedule and report the progress to the donors. And in the end the donors have opportunity to benefit from the product once it is ready. I think this would be a win win setup for everyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. kamil1364

kamil1364 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly noise-induced
      I don't really donate any money, but I try to raise awareness about tinnitus someway. I still attend to school and I had made tinnitus presentation recently to my classmates, as I feel it's ridiculous, especially considering that most cases are noise-induced and thus preventable, that no one really knows about it, and how devastating it can be to your mental and social life. Donating to research is really a great thing to do, but I believe we should really focus on prevention. And I don't talk typical ,,turn down your headphones or you go deaf when you are older" kind of warnings. No one knows that, but in some cases you may literally save your life by turning your iPod down a bit.

9. Michael01
      Frustrated

Michael01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I can't donate money right now, as before I found Tinnitus Talk, I depleted my bank account looking for a way to get at least some peace of mind. I need to build that back up again. But if there's any other means I can help in some small way, I'm always willing to help or at least try to.

10. livewire77

livewire77 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music on headphones
      I just stumbled upon The Bionics Institute tinnitus research program, and they have raised just $3000 AUD from their goal of $100,000 AUD that they need to raise for their current program.

OMG. Is it really so hard for people here to raise $100,000 AUD? There are more than 30,000 members here. If only 1000 of them gave them $100 AUD, The Bionics Institute could continue their research faster. They have results to build on.

Come on. Sitting on the couch and lamenting solves nothing. I'm a poor guy from a poor country and I gave them yesterday $100 AUD and I will give them more.

Many of you are from much richer countries. You have the money. You can make a difference. DONATE. Or do you want take your money to the grave? Remember, your last jacket will have no pockets. If you are not satisfied with what ATA, BTA or similar organizations are doing, sponsor research directly. I also donated to Hough Ear Institute.

Links:

Donate to The Bionics Institute

Donate to Hough Ear Institute