Why Can't I Be Helped? — Somatic Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mattv, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Mattv
      Busy

Mattv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      When my tinnitus is loud (it is a lot and very loud), I can almost always silence it almost completely by putting my elbow on my desk and pushing up on my jaw. Three ENT's and dentist are clueless and don't even believe me or care.

If I can press on my head and silence it, I just have to believe that I can cure it.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Mattv I had research this before, but most advanced sites relate this to the V3 part of the trigeminal nerve which has sensory distribution. It may include the posterior auricular nerve from facial nerves to the mastoid process. This condition starts from spinal nerves of C2, C3 and C4. Then to the sternocleidomastoid muscles, then to facial and jaw as mentioned above.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mattv
      Busy

Mattv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Greg, Thanks so much for your kind response. I suppose that is why I got some temporary relief form chiropractic treatment. I just have to wonder if some sort of physical therapy, postural therapy would help with this. I guess I should be happy that I have a way to silence it, albeit in a somewhat awkward way.
      Can you do this too?

4. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Mattv Careful chiro treatment should help. Treatment beyond this can be debatable. For me, head position to neck will give some temporary relief - such as proper neck placement when sleeping.

Much of somatic problems includes certain C discs depending on conditions. The upper C discs relate to jaw and facial, although facial is complicated. Also spinal nerves, deep cervical nerves, cranial nerves, vertebral arteries, 5th cranial nerve. All neck muscles, the SCM is the biggest player.

I have posted these links before, so I will give an address. 3 sites below: The first is an important read for physical T. I think that it's the best overall source.

Charter 4 Cervical Spine Trauma

Causes of the Mystery Ear Pain
      (this site goes into your title post of thread)

Sternocleidomastoid Muscles: Affects Head, Eyes, Sinus, Ears, Throat, Pain, Dizziness, Whiplash

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Sorry, the text doesn't link to anything. What are the links?

6. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They will appear at the top of a Microsoft or G oogle Internet search. I just tried it. Close the space on G>o. I should have permission from Markku to repost links.

7. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      Do you have any complaints related to hearing? Several tinnitus sufferers develop hyperacusis, for example.

8. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

Try the physiotherapy I described here

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/physiotherapy-and-tinnitus.25513/#post-302031

9. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Even before my acoustic trauma, I was able to hear some faint buzzing sounds when yawning or clenching my teeth. I didn't think anything of it, but that was most likely my first experience with tinnitus. So there is definitely some degree of physical correlation in my case, and in most cases of tinnitus I would think. I hope you will be able to find an understanding therapist who can help you get some relief.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Mattv Get some radiological testing before any physiotherapy with tinnitus because a therapist can made situations worse without test results. The pressure placed on some of the smaller muscles can cause more tinnitus or make it less.

R.C. Schafer who wrote Charter 4 Cervical Spine Trauma D. C. Phd. with the highest national cervical chiropractic awards recommend this as some therapist will do what they are train for within their practice and this may not benefit you. Schafer believes that 80% of all neck problems have association with vertebral arteries and deep cervical veins that then pressure certain muscles. The correct muscles must be known.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mattv
      Busy

Mattv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thanks. I’m seeing my GP this week and I will discuss it with him. I’ll definitely ask for an X-ray or whatever imaging is appropriate. The suggestion that it’s tight muscles putting pressure on an artery nerve makes a lot of sense and consistent with how it behaves with me.
      One trick that I have learned is using an inflatable traction collar and reversing it. It pushes on my jaw in the same way I do manually. I can often get hours of relief from my tinnitus by using that.
      I am a stomach sleeper, and I’ve been wondering it that could be contributing. My head is always a bad angle. Been attempting to learn to sleep on my side, but it’s not easy.

12. Myrna Michell

Myrna Michell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Distortion in one ear from head movement
      Hi Matt. My right ear started up with an explosion of sound, five months ago. Like you, I can stop it (briefly). It isn't a ringing but a pressure and roaring, according to the position of my head. I can clear the whole thing by pressing my ear-flap for a few seconds. The effect lasts only around half a minute. Yesterday at my first ENT appointment, as predicted on this Forum, the consultant did not blink as I told him about this, and when I mentioned 'eustachian tube/inflammation/fluid', he just signed me up for a hospital MRI scan. When I asked him if that shows up inflammation, he said no.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still thinking a transverse process of the Atlas mastoid process as you are able to do the above and silence your T. The sternocleidomastoid and cranial nerves may be the trigger.

http://www.modernreflexology.com/ac...://www.massagetherapy.com/articles/face-grace

I also use the Face of Grace exercises from Massage Therapy. They are also helping my painful facial just in the last 48 hours. Or it could be that I finally had my titanium stem covered with a tooth stopping some electrical current.

14. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Healthcare and treatment costs are expensive for some with somatic physical tinnitus. I have full blown whiplash where vertebral arteries, atlas and C1 caused damage to my entire cervical spine along with serious mouth and facial problems caused from dental pressure.

I have seen so many doctors and dentists so many times. So far I have spent 30,000 dollars over insurance. I figure that I will need to spend another 30,000 dollars.