Why Is Tinnitus Louder After Taking Out Hearing Aid?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Leah, May 25, 2014.

1. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Wore them over 12hrs two days in a row but WOW can't sleep because of the volume of the T. Sleep used to be my escape, not anymore.
      Anyone know what is happening? BTW hearing loss is very very small, using aids to help with T.
      Thanks

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      leah hi I might be clutching at straws here ,but maybe ,just a maybe,you have caused a build up of wax and you dont realise it by wearing them so long? Hope it eases soon.Pete

3. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Is this the first time you've worn hearing aids? When I originally got them, my tinnitus was louder for several days. The loudness was just my brain adjusting. Anytime you do something to stimulate your auditory cortex--which is what hearing aids do by amplifying sounds--your tinnitus will initially spike but it will go back down.

Spiking also happens when people try other tinnitus therapies like Neuromonics. But the tinnitus increase always abates.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Have had them a while but could never wear them for a long time had to make a fit adjustment. Was surprised that the T is worse but only when I take them out at night and woweee what a spike. So you think I should keep wearing them? Thanks for the explanation, holiday weekend can't reach the doc.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks, worth looking I into.

6. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, do continue wearing them for a few more days. I truly believe they can't permanently worsen your tinnitus. It's just your brain getting adjusted to newer sounds. It's like exercising: first you exercise and are sore; after a brief period, the soreness goes away and you start to achieve results!:)

But do check everything over with your doctor when he/she is available.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. ashley
      Busy

ashley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/28/2014
      One theory of tinnitus is that it's your brain overcompensating for the absence of sound that would be there had the person have normal hearing. :) Also-- jazz has a really good point. Loud sounds (unless dangerously loud) usually don't negatively effect tinnitus in the long term of things.

Feel better! Sorry to hear about sleep-- I literally feel the same way.

8. jchinnis

jchinnis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1989
      There's also the effect of contrast. If you look at a candle in a dark room, it can seem quite bright, yet, with the daylight streaming in, it seems dim. The same is true of sound. If you have only a little hearing loss, the contrast of the tinnitus is reduced by using the hearing aids. When you take them out, it's a bit like dimming the lights in the room with the candle, and the tinnitus stands out.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks so much, your support means a lot, I know you are all going through the same thing.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Very we'll put thanks for the insight, just wish I would have know about the spikes when they are not in.
      Not sure if it is the road I would have taken.

11. jchinnis

jchinnis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1989
      I doubt they are actually "spikes." I suspect you simply get used to not hearing the tinnitus that loud when the hearing aids are on. Then, when you take them out, you are immediately aware of how bright that tinnitus candle can be.

I don't doubt that it's a problem, or can be. I'd guess that I might try using a partially masking sound while sleeping and the hearing aids are out.

Think of it in a positive sense: you notice the tinnitus less now when the hearing aids are there than you used to.

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks, Will take some time to get used to the change.
      How are you doing?

13. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Yeah, But what if your doctor is a aardvark like mine?:D

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    14. jchinnis

jchinnis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1989
      I'm doing great. But it took me a couple of years.

• Like Like x 1
    15. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do you have white noise or another external sound as part of your hearing aids? Or is it just a hearing aid? For people with minor hearing loss--like you and myself--I believe the external sound element is more important than the hearing aid. In my experience, the external sound within the aid serves to desensitize you from the noise. The desensitization works on both a conscious and an unconscious level. You might also purse something more formal like TRT or CBT or even Mindfulness to help facilitate the desensitization.

And please know it takes a long time to habituate. It won't happen in a week, or a month, or several months. I slowly got better, and it took a year and a half before I felt good most of the time. But, within a few months, the hearing aids and sound treatments made me feel much better. I began to gain control--to have more and more good days. Unfortunately, unwiring the brain--getting it to a point where it doesn't perceive the tinnitus sound as something important--is a very slow process. But it works. And you will get better. Many people habituate and never have any issues again.

You need to remain positive and develop a strategy for healing. And I do believe in masking sounds while you sleep. If those aren't enough, try relaxation exercises or even a supplement or an OTC drug to aid in sleeping. There are many to choose from, and they don't have the nasty side effects of sleeping pills.

I know you'll get better! You have healing powers within you; you just need to access it.:)

• Like Like x 1
    16. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Here's the link to the main hearing aid thread on TT: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hearing-aids.676/

Here is a 2013 review article on hearing aids for tinnitus management:

J Am Acad Audiol. 2013 Sep;24(8):747-62. doi: 10.3766/jaaa.24.8.11.

Role of hearing AIDS in tinnitus intervention: a scoping review.
      Shekhawat GS1, Searchfield GD, Stinear CM.
      Author information

Abstract
      BACKGROUND:
      Tinnitus can have a devastating impact on the quality of life of the sufferer. Although the mechanisms underpinning tinnitus remain uncertain, hearing loss is often associated with its onset, and hearing aids are among the most commonly used tools for its management.

PURPOSE:
      To conduct a scoping review to explore the role of hearing aids in tinnitus management.

RESEARCH DESIGN:
      Scoping review based on the six-stage framework of Arksey and O'Malley (2005).

STUDY SAMPLE:
      Relevant studies were identified using various databases (Scopus, Google Scholar, SpringerLink, and PubMed) and hand searching of journals and a reference list of articles. Out of 277 shortlisted articles, 29 studies (18 research studies and 11 reviews) were chosen for charting of data based on their abstracts.

DATA COLLECTION AND ANALYSIS:
      Tinnitus assessment measures used in studies were recorded along with changes in their scores. Measures used in studies included the Tinnitus Handicap Inventory (THI), Tinnitus Handicap Questionnaire (THQ), Tinnitus Severity Index (TSI), TinnitusReaction Questionnaire (TRQ), German version of Tinnitus Questionnaire (TQ), Beck Depression Inventory (BDI), and visual analogue scale (VAS) of tinnitus intensity. Where possible Cohen's d effect size statistic was calculated.

RESULTS:
      Although the quality of evidence for hearing aids' effect on tinnitus is not strong, the weight of evidence (17 research studies for, 1 against) suggests merit in using hearing aids for tinnitus management.

CONCLUSIONS:
      The majority of studies reviewed support the use of hearing aids for tinnitus management. Clinicians should feel reassured that some evidence shows support for the use of hearing aids for treating tinnitus, but there is still a need for stronger methodology and randomized control trials.

American Academy of Audiology.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24131610#

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Wow, thanks for all the information.

18. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Are your hearing aids on trial yet Leah? Otherwise maybe check with Costco as my relation got his there and they were much cheaper. I had to pay $300 just to demo mine being I did not purchase them. I tried ReSound Alera w/masker from a audiologist, but there is so much mark up. The wireless was poor quality for music or masking tracks like nature, white noise, etc.

19. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      I wear hearing aids as well and it sounds like my loss is more severe than yours. I agree with Jchinnis about the contrast. It doesn't bother me much anymore but I used to make an effort to take my hearing aids out only once I have been in the quiet room for a few minutes. That way it reduces the contrast in sounds. If I take them out in a noisy place, my hearing drops and the T kicks in immediately.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks for the helpful information. So nice to have someone who knows what I am talking about.

21. Joan

Joan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1977
      Leah, your post couldn't have come at a better time. Last week I got combination masker/hearing aids (Siemens) and tried to wear them part of two days to get used to them. Both nights my T was so bad, I spent the nights taking tranquilizers and still didn't sleep because of the noise. I had a panic attack one of those nights. I discontinued the hearing aids, since I was home alone the next few days, anyway. Last night I put in the right one (I have an old masker on the left that I still use) and watched TV for an hour. I then took out the aid and started to read. After a little while, my T suddenly got louder, and I didn't know why. I went to this website and saw your post--and instead of panicking as I usually would--I was able to remain calm and hope what you said was correct. Sure enough, this morning my T is quieter than last night. I can't thank you enough for posting about T getting louder after taking out hearing aids!

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Glad you are doing better. I panicked at first too.
      Great people here to help. Haven't tried the masker yet that will be in a couple of weeks.

23. Joan

Joan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1977
      Leah, are you getting a masker/hearing aid combination? I've had Starkey ite maskers for 25 years, but it seems nobody makes them anymore, just combination units. What are you getting?

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I have a Phonak, just started with it for hearing loss have not added and sounds yet.

25. daisyjc
      Busy

daisyjc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Leah - How have you adjusted to the hearing aids? I just received one for my left ear (tinnitus only in this ear) and noticed that the tinnitus spiked after taking it out. The tinnitus eventually went back down to its baseline, but I'm now worried that prolonged use will increase the level permanately. Please update us if you can :)