Why the Hostility in the Research Section?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MrCrybaby, Jan 7, 2020.

1. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I think they are partially hydrophobic.

2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Awesome.

• Genius Genius x 1
    3. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      upload_2020-1-8_10-15-56.png
      Because people are dying.

• Agree Agree x 8
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MrCrybaby

MrCrybaby Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      School Band, Noxious Car Radio
      Hey all,

Sorry for my insensitive and poorly thought out title. I didn’t think it through and, especially in the wake of the recent death in our community, it’s pretty mean.

What I specifically meant to reference was personal insults towards Dr. Shore and doubt about her ability to take the device to market, really intense criticism/hate of Hough for not going to phase 2 even though they have reached out to us and told us that it’s only for lack of funding, and pessimism towards other drugs with promising trials. I did not mean to imply that waiting is easy or that the needs of those with severe tinnitus is not urgent.

This condition sucks, and I now better understand how frustrated with the system you are (FDA approving drugs that gave you tinnitus, but taking forever to release a cure etc.) and how hard waiting gets (I’m really new to this waiting game).

I’ve learned my lesson and I’ll definitely think more carefully before next time I make a post here. I’m just a dummy who has tinnitus and came here for support, and I hope I haven’t burnt bridges.

Thanks for reading my text wall.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Friendly Friendly x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    5. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You don't need to be sorry. You asked a question. We answered it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      No worries, just this post goes to show that you're genuinely sorry and open to changing how you think about certain things. That's really all anyone could ask for. If you want to change the title, you could also reach out to a moderator. Thank you for clarifying what you originally meant. :)

I also agree with you that insulting researchers who are working on finding medical treatments won't help. I get the frustration but instead, we should focus on raising money for research. Bryan Pollard from Hyperacusis Research even said: "In the US I have specifically been told by our Government Agencies that they look critically to Patient Advocate Organisations to determine their priorities. They literally said ‘hey, if there’s a condition that has no Patient Advocacy Group, it’s highly unlikely we would fund anything for that problem’." source

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Tinnitus needs lobbyists. It's the only way imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      We have William Shatner.

9. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      "Dislike"

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. Yuuls
      Dreaming

Yuuls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Maybe once the kids of the 1% develop tinnitus from attending Coachella/etc every year and celebrating every birthday in a nightclub we will see more initiative.

I don’t want more people to have this terrible condition but I really hope with the internet and younger people getting it there will be more initiative for a treatment. At this point my nerves would feel a bit more at ease in knowing there is a treatment rather than a cure (which, fingers crossed, does come eventually).

Once able $$$ bodied young people $$$ start being more vocal about this, hopefully research kicks into gear even more. Unfortunately the government only seems to care about issues where there is $$$ involved and unfortunately older people and veterans probably don’t fall into the $$$ category

• Winner Winner x 1
    11. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I would take poison as long as it's quick.

Why are you complaining about negativity? This is the most neglected condition by far - by society, governments, the healthcare industry etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MrCrybaby

MrCrybaby Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      School Band, Noxious Car Radio
      If you read through the whole thread you will see that this has all been explained to me and I have changed my opinion. As well, I clarified that by “bad vibes” I was speaking about hostility and brutal pessimism vs having a hard time and wanting things faster.

@Markku could you please do me a favour and change “bad vibes” in the title to “hostility”? I don’t want this to be dragged up again because I chose a poor title.

• Like Like x 2