Will I Develop Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheDanishGirl, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Probably a normal thing , but I feel that my own sensitivity is linked to

1) how tired I am
      2) my emotional responses to sounds

Just a few weeks ago I was almost bullet proof again and for whatever reason the sensitivity increased thus could be the norm with sound sensitivity and for case for others ..

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Something usually causes this @Tommi Since your tinnitus was originally caused by noise exposure. Have you been using headphones or going to places where loud music is played?

Michael

3. Tommi_boi
      Thinking

Tommi_boi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/04/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Hmm not to my knowledge I never wear headphones anymore not since my sensitivity or T began.

Since this began, I haven't been very good at not relaxing when ambulances drive past since I know that's what caused it for me, it's a fear almost of them - but now even things like walking past dogs now gets me anxious and I'm probably one of the milder victims here

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Try and get a referral to see a Hearing Therapist for some treatment to help with the anxiety or your GP might suggest something to settle you. As you probably know, stress can increase tinnitus so anything that helps a person to relax will usually reduce the tinnitus. If your sensitivity to sound is hyperacusis, consider using sound enrichment particularly at night. You might find my article Tinnitus, A Personal View, helpful. Please click on the links below. Try to read them in full and not skim through them.

Hope you start to feel better soon.
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

• Like Like x 1
    5. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      You don't need a sound machine. You can just play nature sounds on a CD or mp3 or something through speakers if you have them. It's more or less the same thing.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Thanks for the advice :) That is actually what I am doing. I have several apps on my phone with various sounds and I hook it up with speakers.

• Like Like x 1
    7. victoria9273
      Amused

victoria9273 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hyperacusis since 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Use of earbuds
      From my experience, it develops if you're truly hyperacusis. But first of all, I would humbly advise you to be comfortable to those living-noises. Developing fear on sounds is still worse for the mind and body.

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      In most cases @victoria9273 hyperacusis will usually improve over time providing one doesn't over use hearing protection or subjects themselves to loud noise. Going out and being around normal everyday sounds is one of the best ways to treat it and using sound enrichment, during the day and night will improve hyperacusis. In more severe cases a person will need to be referred to ENT and be seen by a Hearing therapist where the wearing of white noise generators is likely to be recommended followed up with tinnitus counselling.

Michael

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Well......
      As some of you may know I am tapering of benzo at the moment.....I am nearly 50% reduced and unfortunetly I have recently noticed that my hyperacusis has become somewhat worse :(

Sounds that did not used to bother my ears, now bother them slightly......like for instance bird song or heavy traffic noise.....I am getting a bit scared of this negative progressing, and don't know how to handle it.....I have used sound enrichment almost every night....and during the day I make sure to subject myself to "everyday noise" and not overprotect with ear protection.....only around sounds 80-85+ db

I am hoping that the worsening is temporary during benzo tapering/withdraval, an will eventually go away/get better......could that be the case??