Will It Go Away? I'm Going Mad!

Discussion in 'Support' started by oipsw, Jan 29, 2014.

1. oipsw
      Worried

oipsw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Hello I'm new to this forum.

On 15th January when I was going to sleep i suddenly heard a beep in my right ear i have a high pitch ring which is 24/7 but nearly non existent in the morning

I will share with you my problems of the last few months as I want to be able to find the possible causes of my tinnitus

I was assaulted early December and left with TMD in my right jaw which after physio is much improved

Since then I also have had extremely bad anxiety headaches and was extremely depressed by the whole ordeal, lucky I was back home for Christmas and had the support of my family, but i was panicking about my TMJ whether and was extremely stressed, anxious and depressed.

The doctor prescribed Naproxen 500mg twice a day and i took them for just under a month

I went back to uni on the 13th of January feeling 90% better the headaches were nearly gone and I could pretty much eat properly again

However on the 15th of Jan i freaked out when my left temple started to click when i walked and then that night the tinnitus came on

I have stopped the Naproxen now however i dont think this is the cause because i forgot to take it that night even though i feel the tinnitus is abit quieter to how it was just over a week ago

I have alot of flem in my throat and nose and have done for many years

Since the assault I have being extremely anxious and depressed which is not like me at all!

My neck, shoulder and back muscles are extremely tense!

I also have not been exposed to any loud noises since my assault as I have been not up for going out

I went to the doctors a few days after my ear started ringing but she said that see how it goes especially since you were on naproxen

I'm seeing another one tomorrow, I've just had enough of everything and im now extremely anxious and stressed about my tinnitus and all my other symptoms have gone!!!! so annoying i was nearly better!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the life story I just want it to be temporary!!!!!! I need advice I'm only 18 and cant concentrate on my uni work and seem to be falling more and more behind!!

Also my family were moving from the home ive been in since i was born in that night! I was at uni at the time,

Ive never had any ear problems before this and havnt lost any hearing ability

Also my left will occasionally ring now but only for a few minutes especially in bed when im struggling to get to sleep

Also note ive not had any depression or anxiety problems before the assault and im not on any medication now

No family history of tinnitus either!

Please someone help!!!!!

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Hi oipsw, when you go to see the Dr tomorrow tell him the exact same thing you posted here, ask him if he can prescribe something to settle you down. Let us know what he has to say..

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      oipsw
      Worried

oipsw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Thankyou for the quick reply Gary much appreciated! My Mum said I need something to settle me down, she has never seen my like this before! I'm a broken man after everything that has happened!

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    4. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      OK, listen to your Mum. Right now I know it is hard to think straight, being scared and all the noise. Make sure you tell the Dr everything...

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      oipsw, I totally agree with Gary, you need to get stabilized and centered. I know it's terrifying and depressing!! But go to the doc, possibly get on a temporary med to even you out and take it day by day. Spend some time on this forum looking at different threads about ways to deal with your anxiety stemming from your tinnitus. I was the same as you prior to T. Never had any anxiety or depression issues at all! But after a number of weeks dealing with the constant ringing, I too began to "break"!!

But I was then encouraged to do the same thing I (we) are encouraging you to do now, slow down, get stabilized and seek treatment. I am glad you are going tomorrow! Like Gary said, tell them everything and ask as many questions as you need to!!! You may also try some sleeping aides as well, because lack of sleep can fuel your (our) anxiety immensely! Try melatonin, meditation, breathing exercises, physical exercise, and if need be something stronger!! Get some sleep!!

Focus on the moment and try not to worry about tomorrow or the next day! You are going to get through this!!

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      oipsw
      Worried

oipsw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Thankyou Jeff for the reply! The responses have pu me much more at ease. I will report back what the doctor says :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. Magpie
      Sporty

Magpie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/1999
      Causes of tinnitus include....trauma, depression, anxiety, tmj. I can't find tinnitus listed as a side effect of naproxen. Intermittent tinnitus is very common and can be caused by a number of conditions. What's important is taking care of depression and anxiety and hopefully the body heals itself.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      oipsw
      Worried

oipsw Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Sorry but the internet has not been working properly for a few days so I could unfortunately not give everyone an update:

My doctor seems to think that its been caused by anxiety, stress and depression and has given me sleeping tablets which have been doing the job brilliantly, I had a 13 hour sleep without masking!! (probably because the previous 4 nights I only had 2 hour sleeps!)

He said that he didn't want to give me any anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medication because it could take a month to feel the effects and he thinks it might have got better by then. Which honestly I was abit pessimistic about but I smiled and nodded, it did give me abit of encouragement!

Also I feel my tinnitus is by each day slowly getting quieter!!!!!!!!!!

So what does everyone think do you think its possible it will go completely?

I have been in a much positive mood the last few days and although im still not quite my old self yet! I'm trying really hard to be positive

I have another appointment in 10 days with the same doctor, and then we will see where we go from there

• Like Like x 1
    9. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi olpsw: Yes. Do think it could be temporary. You have not had your tinnitus for long. Sometimes, it is a symptom of a temporary condition and disappears when that condition (like a stress situation) resolves.

This is not a guarantee. But be hopeful and maintain a positive attitude.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    10. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      You're very fortunate to be able to say your tinnitus is slowly getting quieter. Good for you.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Thanks for the update oipsw, lets hope you keep on improving. Good luck at the Dr. appointment...

12. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      I can relate to this as I was assaulted and 50 days later I got Tinnitus. I also have PTSD from the attack and I'm taking anti depression meds.
      Stay strong, exercise mildly, eat healthy food, take vitamins (lip-flavanoid), fruits, and download White noise and rainfall apps on your smartphone to help you sleep.

Good luck, let me know if you still have T.

13. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      PTSD should not be underestimated. But I do believe it can get better by itself, over time. If not - and in addition - I recommend hypnotherapy. Hypnotherapy when practiced by a hypnotherapist (and not a hypnotist), can reverse many symptoms almost instantly. Most people need a couple of sessions, however. The reason is that in the first session, a hypnotherapist prefers to get to know the client/patient a little bit better, and will not use regression techniques, but will instead place the person in hypnosis and use suggestive techniques. Following sessions go a bit deeper. A skillful hypnotherapist can undo problems that a psychotherapist could not even dream of. I recommend it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. SteveJ

SteveJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have had Tinitus now 1 year 11 months. I am much , much better. The first 2 months I lost close to 20 lbs. I had spasms in legs and was depressed. I finally met a doctor that gave me some antidepressants. That changed everything.
      I take 100 mg of Nortriptolene and 1-2 Ativans if needed.
      I found that 2 Aleve gel caps got rid a everyday headaches.
      My life is normal now for the most part.
      I’m 63 and have always had ear problems.
      One day a guy accidentally fired a loaded gun in his house. It went thru ceiling. One week later I got T. Just, don’t give up.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      This thread is 4 years old and OP hasn't logged on in 4 years.

16. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Has your T faded?

• Like Like x 1