Will There Be a Cure Within the Next 20 Years, What Do You Really Think?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sailboardman, Oct 18, 2015.

?

Will There Be a Cure for Tinnitus in the Next 20 Years?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I don't think there will be a cure in 20 years. My reasons are not scientific. So many people spontaneously habituate to mild tinnitus that big Pharma doesn't want to invest. Sorry to be so cynical. I had a best friend who died from a rare disease--scleroderma--not enough people died so it wasn't a money maker--so no drugs were developed. Only a small percentage has debilitating tinnitus. Those of us in between as well as those debilitated don't matter. That's the facts of life in our profited minded society.

Also, scientists really don't understand the difference between mild, moderate and severe tinnitus and even though they deny it, they think it's all a matter of 'perception' --meaning it's really 'not so bad, so there, there, it will be okay if you learn to live with it.'

Snake oil salespeople, lipoflavanoids, supplements, etc. are making a fortune. Need I go on?

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      what diseases can we cure?
      cure is very rare in medicin.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      the cure for every american is already here
      burger-web_1483292c.jpg

,,XXXXL Burger and a diet coke please'' (for breakfast offcourse)

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    4. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress

LOL! That's why so many Americans are fat--Supersize It!

5. hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      sit down american
      Murica+-+Double+seat+size+and+double+base+stand+office+chair.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      they are not fat. they are just american.
      t78160c_im-not-fat-just-american.jpg

7. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress

I spent a about a year in France and I was really amazed by them...they walk a lot...they have these huge meals on Sundays but mostly they never overeat.

Just so you don't think we're all fat...I'm 5'4" and 115 pounds. Of course, I could be lying! :)

8. hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      i was in new york. not all americans are fat but 95% ;)
      i mean 95% are "american"

giphy.gif

is NJ new jersey?

9. hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      when i was in new york i felt like
      4383024.jpg

when i visit new york next time we can go for a date and eat a burger like that
      4fb40d8ecc19895decfacf5c5d9b54a4.jpg

this would be so romantic no :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Sorry sweetie, I'm very happily married. :) My husband and I would enjoy showing you the sites though...

11. hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      yeah you would love to show me every McDonalds you know :)

12. swc5150

swc5150 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2012
      As an American, you'll get no argument from me. We do grow some big ones here! As far as the cure, I'd need a definition of what a cure is. I think there'll be treatments much sooner than 20 years, where we may have to take meds every day for a lifetime, but maybe not a cure. I'll use my reflux example. I take an acid reflux pill daily, and haven't had heartburn in 15 years, but my stomach issue is not cured. I can make pharma money by taking a T pill everyday, I'd be happy to do so:)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Yep. That is exactly what I thought about a "cure". My aim is to make my tinnitus something like diabet. As long as I take my pills(I do believe one pill will never be efficient in tinnitus treatment) I will be doing good. Not perfect, but alright. And that is what I understood from the word "cure" when it comes to T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. hoper
      Lonely

hoper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      how american are you? 500 pounds or more?

dr-evil-laugh.gif

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    15. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @hoper Maybe you should stop watching the fat channel on TV....I'm a proud American and in that pride comes self discipline

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    16. John Young
      Dumb

John Young Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April, 30th 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Please tell me if I'm wrong.

I have researched as much as I can and the most promising hope for a cure seems to be technology to regrow cochlear hair cells. The two main companies with serious financing seem to be Frequency Therapeutics and Decibel Therapeutics.

The last meaningful news from Frequency Therapeutics was about their human trial in December, stating that "“This goal was achieved by showing that FX-322 was well tolerated with no drug related adverse events reported. Further, the results validated the feasibility of using a standard intratympanic injection to deliver FX-322 locally to the inner ear. In addition, we found that FX-322 successfully diffused from the middle ear to the perilymph fluid in the cochlea with minimal systemic drug exposure.”

http://www.frequencytx.com/news-events/news-events-press-release-12-21-2017.php

There is no mention in this whether the treatment worked to restore hearing. :banghead:

However, since then, the Pentagon gave them another $2,000,000, which isn't really all that much.

http://www.frequencytx.com/news-events/news-events-press-release-05-30-2018.php

There is another company called Decibel Therapeutics that seems to be working along the same lines to restore hearing by regrowing cochlear hair cells. If you read their news posts, they just closed over $50,000,000 in Series C financing less than a month ago, which puts them at over $100,000,000 in investment since 2015. Now that's big money.

https://decibeltx.com/news-and-events/

The thing about Series C financing is that:

"A venture capital firm goes for this round of funding when the company has proved its mettle and is a success in the market. The company goes for Series C round of funding when it looks for greater market share, acquisitions, or to develop more products and services."

http://www.startupfreak.com/what-does-series-a-series-b-series-c-funding-mean-in-startups/

So if I am reading all of this correctly, the cure is there now, and they are keeping all information regarding this a trade secret until they hit the market. HURRY UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!! :greedy:This is understandable if the technology is easily replicated. However it doesn't help us emotionally because we, as sufferers, want answers now.:mad: My point is that with this type of serious investment, with one company in Series C, we may be very close to a drug to help us. Maybe within the next 1 or 2 years. If I'm wrong, please disillusion me. Love you all.

• Like Like x 2
    17. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Cancer was not a sure cure before 1971 until president Nixon with "National Cancer Act"
      funded 300 million dollars and invited top medical scientists to invent advanced chemo treatments.
      So.... never say never. You never know what will bring in 20 years.
      But, with my age and severity of T & H, I am not sure that I will be around to welcome the cure.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
      • Hug Hug x 1
    18. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for positive news. There will be a lot of happy T sufferers if it really becomes TRUE.

• Like Like x 1
    19. John Young
      Dumb

John Young Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April, 30th 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The susan shore device or at least the recipe for what they are doing should be coming somewhat soon I'd think. I know how to design and fabricate electronics so if I knew how they were timing the sounds and electrical impulses then I could make one myself in less than a day.

20. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Can anyone look at these web pages and provide/offer feedback? Does it sound promising? Is it still too far away?

Also, one hearing site seemed to explain the technical 'goings on' or process in which we lose hearing/ and what may lead to tinnitus.

I find it hard to concentrate/focus on reading extensively for a long time.

It makes me so depressed but I am really scared that we need science to be so advanced in order to get real/any relief.... but, when we make these advances and strides, I can't wait several years. It's so sad and depressing but I guess it's good, in general, if you consider the overall time frame.... I suppose, but it doesn't help us any in the here and now. :-(

These are the websites:
      https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1359644617303173
      http://science.sciencemag.org/content/240/4860/1772
      https://www.futurity.org/hearing-loss-cochlear-regeneration-1888982/
      https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29733894
      https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/rna-injection-restores-hearing-in-guinea-pigs-30855
      http://www.cochlea.eu/en/research-lines/regeneration
      https://www.cell.com/molecular-therapy-family/molecular-therapy/fulltext/S1525-0016(18)30112-6
      https://hearcolorado.org/how-does-tinnitus-happen/

21. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Five years.

• Like Like x 2
    22. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      I think we will perfect the Neuromod/Susan Shore/Minnesota devices to help relieve suffering in the next 5-10 years.

Cure for tinnitus? Think a cure to restore hearing loss will come to fruition in the next 20-30 years. I don't know if that will include tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    23. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The people who should be interested in tinnitus (ENTs and neurologists) do not care, so there is not a big push to find a cure or look into advanced treatments. A lot of military folks suffer from tinnitus so there is a bit more awareness from that side. I think it would be easier to raise awareness and funding if military folks/veterans get more involved, especially in the U.S. (where the overall attitude is probably more pro-military/veterans, don't want to get into a political discussion here). They would probably have a bigger impact than ATA.

Tinnitus is more often a neurological/re-wiring issue rather than an easy-fix physiological matter, and thus complicated. The development of new devices seem promising, so I remain hopeful. It seems that these devices are at their end stages of development after some years of research, so I think there will be a device to alleviate symptoms next year.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    25. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      For real though, why don't public figures push more for this alleviation or cure. So many vets have it, musicians. Lol. It just suck that everyone is quiet about it and allows themselves to get used to the ringing in their ears when they wouldn't have to if they caused more of an uproar. Look at the aid epidemic, aids, measles, shit like that. An uproar was caused and stuff got pushed out. It's just sad that other illnesses and complications and debilitating diseases don't get the same.

• Agree Agree x 2
    26. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Not to be that person, but even with cancer you have the means to fight it, overcome it and go through treatments. It's just wild.

• Winner Winner x 1
    27. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...as-of-the-brain-scientists-find-10238561.html
      http://myweb.uiowa.edu/pgander/
      https://www.nature.com/articles/520588e
      https://www.foxnews.com/health/researchers-identify-brain-network-responsible-for-tinnitus

The above links are from 2015. Did Susan Shore and the Mutebutton/Michigan group acknowledge these study results? I don't think CBT works or at least, it doesn't seem like it does or it would be more prevalent in discussions about treatments instead of shrugged off by many as they are cynical about TRT, too?

But, besides 'a cure' not making money, I also suggest it's really complicated. That is, the brain dynamics regarding tinnitus. I would like to say more prominent people should be vocal but whenever you try to get government or the private sector involved in financing research, it's about money (like others say). I shouldn't turn this into a political argument either but what are we going to do if this doesn't advance (fast) enough? I think if you reduce the symptoms/severity of the T, it will be much easier to use cognitive therapy, to treat any depression and mental illness, as I think that once the T is started, the scientists need to team up together, imho, and send a message to the public of what is happening and how debilitating it is - that it's not something one can overlook and shrug off.

Education and stress of importance regarding its impact on people needs to be more vocal and detailed. The example of audiologists not being able to realize or recognize this is terrible. Ditto for EMTs but maybe this is just a profit-driven reason as others have said? The EMTs have no 'teatment' that works and nothing that would make them money. It's depressing. I apologize for ending the post on such a downer but I guess the subject itself is gloomy anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I just read this thread:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/my-update-—-visit-to-the-tinnitus-and-hyperacusis-clinic-at-froedtert.31720/

An audiologist claimed that regenerating hair cells won't cure tinnitus. But, studies have shown that animals that can regenerate cells have recovered hearing and repaired their auditory systems. The theory, too, in a nutshell, is that the brain would rewire itself, work 'properly' and the T would cease or reduce, at least. Is that the gist of it or is it accurate?

I think it makes sense from what I read (I included several links above in previous posts about this) but what puzzles me is when T is supposedly caused by something other than acoustic trauma. We know that we can get ringing/buzzing after a loud sound we have listened to over time - for e.g. concert. Also, people can get it after just one exposure - e.g. gun shot etc. But, what about ototoxic drugs? Over time, it is claimed that certain drugs can lead to tinnitus. What is the drug doing that causes it? Is it impacting the ear, the brain or both? I hope that hair regeneration will be concentrated on but also the impact and dynamics of it regarding the brain. The brain needs to be re-wired in some way because T is obviously abnormal, not everyone gets it and it is debiltating to everyone (to various degrees). Whether scientists have to / can turn off the signal somehow which causes it or whether they can repair the system that is obviously malfunctioning, there has to be some treatment that would solve virtually all of the T issues people have - they just need to figure it out and find/create the science method that will do so.

• Like Like x 1
    29. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      I voted no because I do not consider tinnitus to be a single disease.

I like to compare that with cancer. Science will certainly make progress. And maybe it will be possible to cure certain types of tinnitus (cancer types), but not all of them.

30. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      20 years ago, AIDS was fatal. If you got it, that was it and there was no cure. Now, it's no longer the killer disease it once was and I believe they are on the verge of curing it.

15 years ago, impotence couldn't be treated. Now, you can pop to the chemist and an hour later....wwwhhhheeeyyyyy!!!! There's even talk about a new pill that works inside 5 minutes.

Men can have babies. They can change your gender too.

70 years ago UFO sightings were for crackpots. Nowadays 70% or more of the population believe in life outside our own planet and even NASA say they believe life is out there.

Before Roger Bannister ran the mile in under 4 minutes, nobody could do it. After he did it, everyone started doing it. The power of belief is immense.

You can never say never. Medical science is advancing all the time. Thinking changes all the time.

Time for the tinnitus community to stop talking itself into a negative rut that we can never escape from.
      Time for the tinnitus community to get its hand in its pocket and start funding research. Let's bring a cure closer rather than sit on our arses hoping it will come along eventually.

And I donate $20 a month each month to Thanos Tzounopoulos in the USA, even though he just got $2 million funding. Why - cause some fooker has to do something right?

Might as well be me, but it would be better if it was all of us.

• Agree Agree x 2