Will Tinnitus Go Back to Normal Level After Night of Fireworks?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ian81, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Ian81
      Blah

Ian81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / perforation
      So a quick intro, I've had tinnitus for almost 3 months. In the past 2 weeks I've noticed it less and was habituating well.

Well, every 4th of July my brother and I play king of the neighborhood with fireworks.. Last night sadly was no different, however I thought I was being safe.

I wore some foam ear buds and also some "3M brand" giant, over the head ear plugs on top of the insered plugs while we blew off shells and cakes for about an hour, I couldn't even hear anyone yelling at me.

Back up the previous night, we went to our cities firework display and I was probably closer then I should of been, but I brought one ear plug with me (just a multi colored foam one) and quickly inserted it after the 2nd firework went off (with my niece on my shoulders at that, so it might not of been perfect).

Later on that night sitting around, I notice the ringing is louder.
      I used to be able to plug both ears, and leave my good ear plugged and I wouldn't notice the ringing, but now I can no longer do that - it just stays, at a louder tone.

I've already been through the anxiety and panic a couple of months ago, and now I'm scared as hell again that this louder tone is how it's going to be. Can anyone relate? Please tell me it will settle back down to atleast the normal level?

As far as psychological stuff goes, I wasn't scared that 'ugh this might make it worse' I was confident that I was protecting my ears and didn't think anything of it. Now that I type all this out I realize I was a complete idiot and I guess it's time to hang up the firework king crown.

Thanks for taking the time to read this

2. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Hi Ian!

I cannot say for sure how it might have turned out, or how far that firework was from you when you where in city. But I am pretty confident you are having a reactive T right now, which will go away soon. I can't say when, but it is like a spike, it will last a while and then it'd go back to baseline. I know very well of the "what if I had", but please don't give it too much thought.
      I would still advice to try to stay clear of fireworks, you never know when someone else screws up and you are left with worse T. You did well to protect yourself, but you have to question if it is worth it in the future.

Hope you get better soon!

3. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      just be happy you still have fingers to get the earplugs in with. I dunno man - this seems very not worth it. You can see fireworks from pretty far away and they look equally good.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I hope your tinnitus calms down soon
      for you.
      On a positive note- I bet you were the only one protecting their ears so well done .....lots of love glynis