Will You Get Vaccinated for Coronavirus (COVID-19)? Can It Make Tinnitus or Hyperacusis Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheDanishGirl, Nov 13, 2020.

?

Will you get vaccinated for coronavirus?

1. Yes, right away, as soon as possible, when the first vaccine becomes available

2. Yes, planning to, but I will wait a while to see if there are any potential long-term side effects

3. Maybe, I haven't decided yet one way or another

4. No, I'm not going to get vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Robster
      Irritated

Robster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Jan 2021 MRI, Worsened Nov 2021 Vaccine, Oct 2023 Smoke Alar
      I don't think it is misinformation when a tinnitus sufferer says the vaccine has worsened their tinnitus. I am very much pro vaccine, but there is zero doubt that my tinnitus worsened starting the day after the vaccine.

The misinformation is being spread by a handful of anti-vaxers on this thread who haven't had the vaccine. Tinnitus sufferers stating that their tinnitus has worsened since the vaccine certainly aren't spreading misinformation.

At the end of the day no-one knows their tinnitus better than the sufferer themselves. If a tinnitus sufferer says the vaccine made their tinnitus worse they should be believed rather than questioned. There is nothing worse than others questioning how you perceive your own tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      The misinformation is saying things like “most” people had their tinnitus get worse. Or “most” people who had a spike didn’t get better. Those generalizations are not backed up by evidence. My only point is we need to be careful saying things like that here. Whether or not to get vaccinated is a serious matter and affects not only you but others. I’m all for sharing information. The more the better. But it needs to be accurate and free from bias.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Chris S.

Chris S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud sound; Pfizer vaccine
      And I see the opposite all too often - from mean and insidious looks to half-muttered remarks or even attempts for open confrontation - in the grocery stores, on the streets, in the parking lots, indoors. Happens even on university campuses.

The right-wing media in the US vilifies and pillories the vaccinated (and this is watched by about 45%-48% of the adult population) on a daily, if not on an hourly, basis.

Perhaps you and I leave in two different worlds. In my world, the vaccinated and the unvaccinated hang out all too often - they share the same work space, the same places of worship, the same bars, the same stores, the same parks, the same holiday events. The only thing they don't seem to share is the same (social) media.

4. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I would be interested in trying to determine whether these vaccine impacts are affecting certain types of tinnitus only. Mine is noise induced. I wonder if the type of tinnitus matters? Has anyone tried to connect the dots to see if certain types of tinnitus are predisposed to this problem. Common sense tells me that new or increased tinnitus is still a relatively rare occurrence. Estimates are that 10 to 15 percent of the population suffers from tinnitus. We are a very small group here. The issue did catch some press earlier in the year but it’s been quiet lately. None of this matters for those affected by this but it would be nice to get some sense of scale.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Barring a medical issue and perhaps a religious belief, being unvaccinated is irresponsible and immoral. It’s tantamount to a license to infect others. I’ve had my family locked down for 20 months because we can’t leave our house comfortably. I have children with asthma. I’m frankly sick of it. 40 percent unvaccinated and 80 percent don’t wear masks. It’s not ok to not consider the welfare of others in carrying out your life. To be clear, if there is a medical reason, then it’s a different discussion. Flame away.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I understand where you are coming from but unfortunately you can't change the mindset of some people, if they don't believe the science. I have had two vaccinations and a booster a week ago and thankfully with no ill effects. The Omicron COVID-19 variant, is about to run rampant here in the UK and still, there are people that refuse the vaccine and don't want to wear masks or follow government advice on social distancing.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      Not wanting to get injected with a poison that was made in record time under emergency use with new technology doesn’t sound irresponsible, it sounds smart. Not to mention the companies are protected from litigation.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Great. So let’s let everyone get COVID-19 and spread it to the sick, immune compromised, elderly and children. So we can have another 5 million deaths. Vaccines may not be perfect but letting COVID-19 spread like wildfire is objectively 1000 times worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      Yes. You have a greater than 99% chance of recovery! Why would you risk it?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    10. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      And a 30 to 50 percent chance of permanent long term health consequences. Not only for me but for my wife and kids. Sorry man, your math is wrong. It’s not just whether I live or die. COVID-19 does terrible things to our bodies. Even asymptomatic cases. It messes with just about every organ system. This is part of the anti-vax false narrative.

50 percent of people who survive covid-19 face lingering symptoms, study finds
      The equation is not do I live or die. By not getting vaccinated, people are spreading disease among the elderly, the infirm, the compromised and those with health problems. It's not about me or you, it's about protecting everyone from this terrible disease.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    11. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      You’re quoting Washington Post? The propaganda arm for the Democrat party. Long haul COVID-19 is real but not 50%. Out of the 20 or so people I know who got COVID-19, not one of them has lingering symptoms. Yes it’s anecdotal but it’s better than fake news. Washington Post wants everyone in fear and getting the vaccine to make money for the drug companies.

12. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      You're a tool.

How about Nature, the world's most respected medical journal, then? I suppose you think it's rigged, too?

Long COVID in a prospective cohort of home-isolated patients
      And there are many other respectable journal articles confirming @Clerkp's arguments.

But those are all rigged too. It's no use to debate with someone like you.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are correct. I spoke with three people yesterday that have had COVID-19 and recovered but said their body isn't like it once was. One woman got it a year ago and her taste and smell hasn't returned to what it used to be. One day she feels fine the next so tired and exhausted she's unable to leave her home. Constantly suffers from brain fog. Another woman experiences similar tiredness and brain fog. She will go to the fridge to get something, open the door and just stand there, completely forgetting what she wanted. The third got if off his children who got it from school. He has regular bouts of tiredness and said he used to be as fit as a fiddle!

14. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      My 8-year-old son has barely left the house since March 2020. He has been home schooled and has never seen a full day in a classroom. He has a history of respiratory issues and asthma. Yesterday was the 2 week anniversary of his second Pfizer shot. We asked him what he wanted to do for being so brave. He answered that he wanted to go to "Target" in person.

So we put on our masks and went at 8 pm. What occurred was horrifying. Masks were 10% at most. We are in Pa. where hospitals are full, patients are being turned away, and case counts are nearly where they were last winter. I almost had a panic attack. People everywhere unmasked, coughing, sneezing. Zero respect for their fellow humans. I was horrified, dismayed, disappointed and ultimately not surprised. And yes, 40% of them aren't vaxxed. So unvaxxed and unmasked, spreading disease to all of us. Acting like it was 2019.

This behavior is why this will never end. And because it will never end, all of us with tinnitus are going to have to keeping booster shots. So yes, I'm laying the blame at the unvaxxed. Selfish. That's all I can say.

• Agree Agree x 3
    15. Robster
      Irritated

Robster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have never said "most people had their tinnitus get worse" so I'm not sure where you are getting that from. I am well aware it is a minority, but when you are in that minority it is wrong to be questioned about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Wasn’t referring to you. Just a lot of biased generalizations on this forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      What a bizarre thing to say.

So, if I put out a bowl of 100 jelly beans where one had a lethal dose of poison in it, you’d be happy to tuck in and eat a few?
      There is no point debating this subject because nobody is going to change their minds. I just hope that you don’t end up with long COVID-19 because it’s fucking awful.

18. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      I ended up with long COVID-19 from the vaccine already. In addition to the raging tinnitus I got panic attacks and chronic dizziness and imbalance. Also visual snow, which really isn’t that bad.

Also the vaccine doesn’t so much prevent the illness as it does supposedly keeping you out of the ICU.

And yes I would take you Jelly bean challenge. At this point I would keep eating them until I find the lethal one.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
    19. Chris S.

Chris S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      We should probably stop arguing about this.

COVID-19 can do damage and that damage could potentially be 1) long term, and 2) more harmful than the vaccine.

Brian, I sympathize with your case, because I am in the same boat - I got the short end of the stick with the Pfizer jab (made my mild tinnitus bad/severe), but I also see emergency vaccination in time of a global pandemic as a necessary step. I am considering getting the booster (have not made up my mind yet) and if I do, I will post my experience here. We will likely be required to get annual boosters as COVID-19 will keep mutating. I can forgo one or two but eventually my luck will run out and then - the consequences of having the virus might make the vaccine side effects seem the lesser evil.

20. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      No, lots of people here thought they would only need two shots. They thought this would end. I also know of people in real life who were firm on only taking two shots.

It's only because of mainstream media and public health narrative changing the spin, that it's now a "yearly basis" and of course, many people take it as gospel.

"Everyone should do what is best" but that's not the end, is it? We don't have that choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Robster
      Irritated

Robster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unfortunately some people see mask wearing as losing their freedom which is ridiculous. I certainly want to get a second vaccine dose, but won't risk getting Pfizer again. Hopefully Novavax finally gets approved for use in the UK.

22. Chris S.

Chris S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I wish that were true but the vaccine made my mild tinnitus severe (Pfizer, jab 1). It stayed that way for the past 8 months. Jab 2 gave me a terrible spike that was short-lived (25-30 hours) and then my tinnitus returned to the already bad/severe levels after Jab 1.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    23. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      I’ll take my chances with the virus from now on if I’m still around. My job mandated the vaccine. Like everyone knows already, my first Pfizer vaccine made it a bit higher, and the second shot made it severe. It is so severe I cannot work right now. I have 8 tones. This vaccine may lead to me ending my life and there are a lot more in the same boat. I am telling everyone I can find not to get the vaccine. The media is scaring everyone from a virus that only really hurts people who are from 70-death.
      Yes, masks are good! I just wish everyone wore KN95. Hand sanitizer is good too. Plus masks won’t hurt you or make your tinnitus worse!
      Do you blame them for refusing it? It’s basically an untested Frankenstein vaccine. Before you judge anyone, think for a second what you are saying.

• Hug Hug x 2
    24. Robster
      Irritated

Robster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Judge anyone? Where have I judged anyone Brian? I'm in the same boat as you - the Pfizer vaccine made my tinnitus worse.

Unlike you though, I don't feel the need to angrily lash out at everyone.

• Like Like x 2
    25. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      I agreed with you that masks are good! I know the same happened to you. That comment was directed at Michael.

26. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @Chris S. -- I would encourage you to keep in mind that there are many things a person can do to minimize total viral load in case of a COVID-19 infection. If you do enough of them (before and after an infection), the probability of getting severe COVID-19--or a case that results in an exacerbation of tinnitus-- seems pretty close to zero to me.

Many Naturopathic Doctors are already very successfull using various kinds of low-cost, low-risk protocols. You don't hear much about them because of the degree of censorship currently going on by the "gate-keepers" of information dissemination. All they want you to hear about is vaccines, booster shots, vaccines, booster shots... ad nauseam.

Also, another good thing keep in mind (NYT article below); it would seem there's really no good reason to get a vaccination if you don't have other chronic health conditions.

Nearly All Patients Hospitalized With Covid-19 Had Chronic Health Issues, Study Finds -- Only 6 percent of patients at one New York area health system had no chronic conditions. Hypertension, obesity and diabetes were common.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am not judging anyone, only telling the facts. I was never an anti-vaxxer but apprehensive about the quick roll-out of the vaccines for COVID-19. Please read my posts from last year on this thread. Having decided to have the vaccines I am pleased.

My older brother believed COVID-19 was a hoax. He has high blood pressure like myself that is managed by medication and has asthma (fortunately I don't) also controlled by meds. He got COVID-19, ended up in hospital but wasn't on a ventilator. He recovered but now has heart failure. It is in the early stages and is taking medication to control it but it can never be cured, because the heart has been damaged. Prior to this my brother never had any other health problems.

Some of the UK newspapers regularly show people that were anti-vaxxers that caught COVID-19 and sadly died. People from in their early 20s upwards.

28. tpj
      Frustrated

tpj Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably noise
      If you do have another shot, will you get a different vaccine?

29. mbsq

mbsq Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Inflammation?
      With all due respect, take a step back and reflect on your feelings. You are in a constant state of fear and/or panic. This is not good for you or your family. You need to drift a little closer back to normality.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    30. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      The drug companies having no liability was the first thing granted by governments to pharma companies to administer their experimental vaccines on human beings. This is just a massive experiment...

In Spain the government does not report how many people who did get vaccinated are dying from COVID-19.

It would be very interesting to see a break up of the daily deaths and know precisely the circumstances in which people die from COVID-19, for instance:

- Age group
      - Whether those people are vaccinated or not
      - Whether there are other health issues that contributed

Why something as simple as this is not being reported? Why this lack of information?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1