Will You Get Vaccinated for Coronavirus (COVID-19)? Can It Make Tinnitus or Hyperacusis Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheDanishGirl, Nov 13, 2020.

?

Will you get vaccinated for coronavirus?

1. Yes, right away, as soon as possible, when the first vaccine becomes available

2. Yes, planning to, but I will wait a while to see if there are any potential long-term side effects

3. Maybe, I haven't decided yet one way or another

4. No, I'm not going to get vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Robster
      Irritated

Robster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Jan 2021 MRI, Worsened Nov 2021 Vaccine, Oct 2023 Smoke Alar
      For me the most frustrating thing is a lot of the medical profession refusing to believe the vaccine can cause or worsen tinnitus. Yes it's a minority, but it's still many thousands of people now who have said this has happened to them.

If you complain about a vaccine side effect you get labeled anti-vax which doesn't make any sense, as if you were anti-vax you wouldn't have had the vaccine in the first place!

• Agree Agree x 7
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      How? If one is homebound and don't see anybody (which is not a choice of mine or others; severe hyperacusis made that choice for us)?

3. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Sure. But the vast majority of us here are not homebound and that won’t be an option going forward. If you are indeed homebound, by all means skip the vaccine. Completely reasonable. There’s no reason to get it.

And by the way, my sympathies for anyone who is homebound as a result of their condition. That is truly awful to hear and I wish you the best in recovery. I do not mean to be flippant at all. My job does not let me remain home and my condition is not so severe that I need to.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Great. Shingles in a couple of years for me.

5. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Do you have a source for this? A little poking around here and some anecdotal stories but it does not appear that tinnitus is an identified side effect from the shingles shot. I see a few number of reported incidents but it appears to be extremely rare. I just think we should be careful making broad statements like this if it isn’t true. Shingles can be a serious illness. So I don’t want that either. If you have a source, please share it so I can be informed. Thanks.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      Shingrix Shingles Vaccine Increased My Noise-Induced Tinnitus & Hyperacusis

7. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Yeah I mean look, this isn’t a source supporting that “vaccines are known to cause tinnitus”. We can’t create further alarm on this website based on isolated anecdotal incidents. It does not appear that tinnitus is identified to be a side effect of Shingrix from some quick research. Sympathies to the user reporting that experience but let’s fact check please. This is a hard enough condition as it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Interesting stuff that VAERS search.

So out of 300,000 adverse reports on the Moderna shot, there are 4700 reports of tinnitus. It's one of the most common complaints at 1.5%. But 4700 out of 200 million doses isn't very many. We also do not know out of those 4700 how many resolved and how many did not. We also cannot be sure a reported incident was in fact caused by the vaccine. It is reasonable to conclude that there is some confirmation bias in this forum as well.

In short, I think tinnitus from the vaccine is likely very rare but certainly not zero.

Here in this forum, you would get the impression it is very common but I don't think that's the case. Rather, people come here to talk about it.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
    9. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Proof? Or are we just saying theories as facts now?

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. Robster
      Irritated

Robster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Jack, I enjoy reading your posts and like you I was pro vaccine, but I've seen you repeatedly say it's coincidental any connection between the vaccine and causing/worsening tinnitus.

On Tuesday I had the vaccine and the next day I woke with a secondary tone in my right ear. If it was a mere increase in volume or change in tone, I would be less worried, but this is the first time since I've had tinnitus that I've had a whole separate brand new tone.

The vaccine is causing a minority of people serious audiological issues and the concerns of these people shouldn't be ignored.

• Agree Agree x 8
    11. Brian P

Brian P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ménière’s disease
      I’m living proof.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    12. tpj
      Sad

tpj Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably noise
      I'm proof too. I've never had tinnitus this bad. We can't just dismiss this and not take it seriously.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      What you are of course missing and how everyone is missing the point, is that there is a highly likely co-relation of an immune reaction which BOTH the vaccine AND COVID-19 would create.

The cascade would be the same.

Not only that, but that data doesn't say jack shit of who was predisposed or currently had tinnitus or hearing loss.

Start using those numbers, and assume it's due to the immune cascade and I'd bet hard money that getting COVID-19 or the vaxx is probably closer to 100% of either having a chance of worsening your tinnitus.

If I'm taking those bets I'm using a safer vaxx (they are coming, aka Novavax) where the immune cascade may be lessened overall and more drawn out over time (similar to radiation poisoning, it isn't the dose that kills you, it's the flux), as well as being sure this vaxx is targeting the most likely mutations as well as current dominant strain (similar to the flu vaxx nowadays).

Taking the vaxx where I could get COVID-19 again anyways is a pointless risk, I've pointed this out to both my employer and doctor and they tend to agree with me.

I'm not premoting anti-vax standpoints. Simply anti-broad and untargeted vaxx standpoints.

The flu vaccine is updated frequently, this makes sense and is why I get the flu vaccine.
      Getting a vaccine that will still allow me to be infected but "maybe" I won't die instead (I likely wasn't going to anyways) seems to introduce more risk than foresight. That should be the ultimate point of the vaccine, to inhibit and not allow the virus to cultivate any longer.

This vaccine has failed to do so by not keeping up with the honestly quite rare mutations that will occur with this virus. No longer having as large an effect to the virus because you have antibodies which are "close" isn't good enough to limit spread. Imagine any other vaccine where you'd be told, you'll still get it and it will replicate and you can still spread to others. What's the point of that?

I don't know why a delta / other potential strains version isn't available. Probably because it'd be a new "vaccine" and pfizer needs to sell it's current product.

Nobody was betting on mutations getting a foothold, and yet here we are. Lockdowns didn't amount too much. What's the point of putting a lid on a burning oil fire if you lift it, use an extinguisher, and then it starts burning again.

Just shrug and say life goes on and go to work?

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    14. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Sorry. I don’t follow your logic. How on earth are you concluding 100 percent chance of tinnitus or worsening tinnitus. Even this forum proves that’s not correct. Suffice to say I strongly disagree with your assertion which cites zero evidence. The most recent evidence shows that fully vaxxed plus booster beats natural immunity by a mile.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    15. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm sorry you can't follow.

"Start using those numbers, and assume it's due to the immune cascade and I'd bet hard money that getting COVID-19 or the vaxx is probably closer to 100% of either having a chance of worsening your tinnitus."

This implies that if you have a hearing issue, either the vaccine or COVID-19 would have an EQUAL chance of worsening your condition. If it's 15% for COVID-19, then it's 15% for the vaxx.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    16. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Except it is not what the numbers say. You are speculating and causing fear.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    17. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes I am speculating, but it's not baseless.

Unfortunately only an after the fact hindsight meta-analysis will tell.

• Creative Creative x 1
    18. ThomasF
      Creative

ThomasF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably loud music
      Just got a booster shot a couple days ago. I feel fine with not much noticeable change in tinnitus severity.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    19. Alexandor Scott

Alexandor Scott Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      My parents both have tinnitus. Neither experienced a spike after dose 1, 2, or their booster doses. They got Moderna for all 3 doses.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    20. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      With boosters being required just about everywhere I suppose we will find out soon enough. I understand the hesitation. I live with high risk individuals so skipping the shots aren’t really an option.

21. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I understand the vaccine can cause issues with tinnitus (less than 2% AND it doesn't say if the tinnitus went back to normal. The permanent causes of tinnitus is prob even lower.) , BUT COVID-19 has a significantly higher risk for worsening tinnitus (around 30% based on previous studies I have posted) and causing other issues with your health. How do you not acknowledge that?
      You also have Meniere's, which the vaccine may have interacted with. This doesn't mean it will happen to every person so saying the vaccine isn't safe is false for 99% of people. Just like any other medication that has side effects.
      See above.

22. tpj
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably noise
      Why are you downplaying our experience? Knowing that 99 percent of people are fine really isn't helpful.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    23. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Nor is fearmongering with unsubstantiated data. That's what you and a couple here are doing. Jack Straw is being the sensible and objective one if anything really... I haven't seen him saying it's not possible to get worse from the vaccine, but that it's very unlikely. And that if you get infected with the virus, you will much more likely get worse tinnitus and hearing loss. Which is all true and any credible scientist will vouch for.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Funny Funny x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    24. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Anything that mucks with my immune system tends to fuck with my ears, but unless this ride is wildly different than #1 and #2 were, that's probably all I've got to say about it (at least until we all need Omicron boosters in four months anyway, ha! My Pfizer stock continues to do well.)

• Informative Informative x 1
    25. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Statistically maybe. But you really can't say that for certain.

The antibodies you make to wild COVID-19 will be different and more varied (therefore potentially more effective against variants) than the ones tailored by a single mRNA strand for a single antibody. The increased mortality risk is not worth it.

My argument is how the original mRNA vaxx is being treated as a godsend when just like software it is bugged and needs an update, but we're being gaslit into pretending everything is just fine, get your shot like a nice little sheep, keep the economy open, baa, baa, baa...

Because we "can't" close again lest the market fails and we "can't" pressure the drug companies into updating their product as we signed a contract for x billions of doses or the ORIGINAL strain. Updates were off the table.

So let the peasants take the risk. Get your shot, hope that it works enough so that when you get COVID-19 you don't have some really shitty post-infection effects regardless! (On top of the risks of getting the vaxx).

The entire risk of getting the vaxx now is negated by the variants. It's literally borderline retarded imo.

Show me a multi-variant normal vaxx like we have for the flu and I'll gladly nut up and take it. I'd even pay for it, but obviously the drug companies don't want that, they want it fully subsidized so they can charge the moon.

The risks of a vaccine similar to what Novavax is making seem futile and worth the gamble.

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    26. Clerkp

Clerkp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Sorry but there is zero evidence or science in this post. It’s pure broad speculation. You want a multi variant vaccine? Should they have predicted Delta and Omicron before they happened? And the existing vaccine works against Delta. Not sure what you want people to do? The current vaccine may not be perfect but it has saved millions of lives.

• Agree Agree x 3
    27. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      It took me more than 4 months after the vaccine to get back to near baseline level, though I feel it never went all the way down to baseline. I definitely couldn't do multiple boosters a year. I'd just have insane tinnitus non-stop.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    28. tpj
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably noise
      Was that after your first shot?

29. Robster
      Irritated

Robster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have never denied that the chances of tinnitus increasing from COVID-19 are higher than the chances of it increasing from the vaccine. That is the reason why I took the vaccine after months of consideration. I don't know where you have got the idea from that I said that. I would appreciate it if you didn't attribute things to me that I have never said.

As for whether my tinnitus will go back to baseline, I guess time will tell. Stats are of no comfort when you find yourself in the minority side of a bad statistic.

Also I am pro vaccine so please don't put me in with the anti-vaxxers in this thread. My issue is with people refusing to believe or downplaying those who have a bad audiological response to the vaccine.

• Like Like x 4
    30. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      But why would anyone now take a vaccine that risks increasing your tinnitus when it is likely that it will no longer be effective against new strains, such as Omicron. What would be the point? When a more transmissible (successful) strain comes along it wipes the others out, we have already seen this happen with the Delta variant.

So if you are young and have no existing health conditions, then the risk/reward ratio of taking an outdated vaccine, that really only truly protects you against hospitalisation anyway, just doesn’t seem worth it. This risk/reward ratio is the exact reason the all knowing scientist/health professionals are not vaccinating young children. It’s too much of an unknown (risk).

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1