Will You Get Vaccinated for Coronavirus (COVID-19)? Can It Make Tinnitus or Hyperacusis Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheDanishGirl, Nov 13, 2020.

?

Will you get vaccinated for coronavirus?

1. Yes, right away, as soon as possible, when the first vaccine becomes available

2. Yes, planning to, but I will wait a while to see if there are any potential long-term side effects

3. Maybe, I haven't decided yet one way or another

4. No, I'm not going to get vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      Ok Ed. Have a good evening.

• Like Like x 1
    2. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I was that angry having read the above comment last night that I had to step away from the computer.

For some perspective:

I'm self-employed too. This year my business has not suffered, neither has my missus's. She and I have both been in the fortunate, although some would say, unfortunate, position of watching this debacle unravel from a point of relative comfort. One might think we've had it easy, and to a degree we have. But that hasn't gotten in the way of me shaking my head in disbelief every day in 2020 about what the hell just happened to my country. Personally, I've kept away from posting about this topic on the Internet for most of last year, although I do note that very early on you were conducting podcasts and discussing your own experience with COVID-19.

I do watch various people on Twitter, but I would say that Tinnitus Talk is the main place where I interact with people online. One of the reasons I stayed away from positing is actually down to what we've ended up doing here - polemicising. The main reason, however, is that it's taken me practically nine months to seek out those who are qualified to talk through the glaring contradictions in this narrative and try and digest what they have to say. If the mainstream media had done a bit of a better job I might feel differently.

Your argument is not with me. It's with the various people, whose numbers are growing but include the likes of Mike Yeadon, Clare Craig, Kevin McKernan and Malcolm Kendrick, a GP who has been signing death certificates in 2020, and written a brilliant blog post that elucidates the various problems as he sees it.

Early on Mike Yeadon started to discuss the problems he was seeing, and in particular the approach that Sir Patrick Vallance, a man he actually went through university with, was taking regarding the pandemic. Yeadon has been very clear on his opinion: the pandemic was over at the end of spring. Dr. Clare Craig is a Diagnostic Pathologist. She has been combing through the figures, which is her job, and shares the same view as Yeadon.

Both Yeadon and Craig are magnaminous enough to acknowledge that people disagree with their views. But at the same time they have requested a public platform (Yeadon in particular) to argue their points and for the most part been denied it, although radio stations like TalkSport have eventually been a little more accommodating.

Yeadon was the first person of any standing that I heard refer to the pandemic as a "case-demic". In his own words: "PCR mass testing in the UK is a disgrace. No self-respecting scientist should associate themselves with a regime that has NEVER released a value for operational false positive rate. They'll be prosecuted eventually."

Strong words but at the end of the day, this guy is the ex CEO of respiratory illness at Pfizer. As an expert witness in this situation, they don't come much better qualified.

We know that testing of asymptomatic people has been a policy in nursing homes for staff as well as residents. I know for a fact that this has been a policy in the nursery sector. We know the government's own guidelines on symptoms are flimsy: "a high temperature" or "3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours". My own niece's senior school shut down 4/5ths of the school at various points during 2020 when some kid "tested positive". In other words, they sent the entire year home and into self-isolation for 14 days. We can speculate about how many of those worried parents then sent their own kids for testing or even tested themselves. Again, we know for a fact that in the UK 13.6million people have taken the PCR test.

Kendrick has had this to say:

"If I were to recommend actions. I would recommend that we stop testing – unless someone is admitted to hospital and is seriously ill. Mass testing is simply causing mass panic and achieves absolutely nothing. At great cost. We should also just get on with our lives as before. We should just vaccinate those at greatest risk of dying, the elderly and vulnerable, and put this rather embarrassing episode of mad banner waving behind us."

I believe that people like McKernan are calling for PCR to be standardised at 25 cycles. Even Dr Craig has stated that PCR had it's place early on in the pandemic. What I say here though is, don't shoot the messenger. I get why people are fractious when they read unsubstantiated stuff. And to a degree, I understand why the comparison to online Flat Earth debate is made. But that is not what is happening here. To bring it back to the decision about whether or not to take a vaccine, I would say the choice is individual. But if one would like some balance to the debate, there are experts out there who have important stuff to say. It's just unfortunate that we have to go to Twitter to find them.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I had no intention, whatsoever, to make you angry. This situation is shit enough without the need for friction on here as well, so I apologise if you’ve felt this was personal in some way.

Last year for me and my family was beyond hell for all kinds of reasons ranging from my health to our finances, my mom and dads health, and various health scares with our kids. I won’t go into details, but I can tell you it has been torturous.

I have never grandstanded about any of this on social media like so many on my friends list do; I’ve remained silent throughout. I’ve only discussed my personal feelings on here and with my family. I was on the podcast purely because I was invited, and in no way did I push for myself to be on there. Writing about it on here seemed logical as it’s a support forum.
      Again, it’s not my intention to argue just for the sake of it, but when I see so many falsehoods being posted on here as fact, I feel compelled to respond. The MSM are irrelevant to me. I base my opinions on what I’m witnessing in real-life, and by the verifiable information that is being reported in respected journals and by my friends who work in the field. My mom was very nearly killed and now has longterm damage to her heart and kidneys, and when I log in here, we have people laughing and comparing it to the flu, and even worse, saying it’s a hoax! The facts are overwhelming at this point, so anyone defending that position is objectively wrong.

I’ve already stated that I don’t necessarily agree with the ongoing lockdowns because of the catastrophic effect they are having on everyone’s health and livelihoods. But at the same time, I can see how it’s a morally difficult decision to make, to allow thousands of people to die when they can potentially be saved. However, by locking down, many will lose their homes and careers they’ve worked their entire lives to build, and there will be a lot of suicides and other serious ramifications. So, what’s the solution? This is a deeply troubling dilemma to be in if you hold any power.
      The problem is that the testing wasn’t started early enough, and it wasn’t done on a large enough scale to limit the spread. The PCR test isn’t killing people, the coronavirus is. If you were to stop testing people, the virus wouldn’t suddenly stop killing people. This is why this argument makes little sense to me. Scientists know what the approximate false-positive rate is, but regardless of that, if we really were to stop testing, it would solve nothing. Things would actually get worse.

Full fact wrote something on this that I thought was worth sharing; you should read it as it talks about Mike Yeadon’s opinions:

https://fullfact.org/health/can-we-believe-lockdown-sceptics/

• Like Like x 2
    4. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I was going to edit my previous post to add this small excerpt in, but it wouldn’t work, so I’ll add it here:

Mr Cummins and Dr Yeadon both claim that this is a result of many “false positive” Covid tests (where people who test positive don’t actually have the virus) but, as we have said before, false positives are not common enough to explain this.

We can also now see that at the peak of the second wave in the week to 20 November, the total excess deaths in the UK were 21% (2,155) higher than the five year average. Something, in other words, was undoubtedly causing far more deaths than usual, which cannot be explained by faulty tests. This was Covid.

5. Pulsing Ear
      Frustrated

Pulsing Ear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I analyzed the CDCs figures for total US deaths in 2018,2019, and 2020. There indeed was an increase of about 300,000 or so this year. So unless there was a different reason for a big increase in total deaths, COVID-19 did indeed kill many. I was skeptical until I found that in the data. Any of us can see it on the CDC website. Just takes awhile to find the data. Total deaths, from all causes.

Comparing 2018 to 2019 you can see a small increase, due to an increase in population size. That's normal. It was very small compared to the 300,000 plus.

I didn't even look at "deaths from COVID-19 ", because those could be wrong. No need to if you look at total deaths.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This afternoon, Yeadon fact-checked the fact checkers.

That's the Clown World we're living in right now.

I'll leave the following images here for posterity:

1.png

2.png

3.png

@Ed209 I just want to add - me getting angry sometimes happens... No harm done ;)

• Like Like x 1
    7. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Don’t get angry, UKBloke :cool: People are entitled to their opinions, there’s nothing wrong with that. My main issue was with PeteJ telling outright porkies.

• Funny Funny x 1
    8. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      But did you read what I wrote?

Adverse events from vaccines appear 2 months after injection at the latest. By the time we'll be able to get vaccinated, we'll know if these side effects are rampant (spoiler: data made available so far is not showing this).

It's always possible that a new vaccine causes a new problem, but the odds of that are pretty insignificant. Much, much lower than getting long Covid in any case.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. worriedd

worriedd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/03/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluid, from a cold. No noise damage or infection.
      I’m a nurse and I’m getting my COVID-19 vaccine next week. IMO it’s the risk of getting COVID-19 outweighs the risk of having the vaccine. Talked to about 50 staff members who have had it and only one had bad side effects.

Any other nurses getting it?

10. Pulsing Ear
      Frustrated

Pulsing Ear Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What were the bad side effects? So that's 1 out of 50, or 2%.

11. worriedd

worriedd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/03/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluid, from a cold. No noise damage or infection.
      He had a bad fever, had to have a few days off work, but he’s fine now. Of course most of these people don’t have tinnitus, but I think it’s still important to point out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. alexberger

alexberger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @worriedd I'm also getting it next week. Super nervous about the effects on T, but it shouldn't actually affect it. The mRNA wont leave the myocytes and neither will the generated protein (unlike the other vaccines that increase T). Anyway, will you post here and let me know how it goes? I'll also post in the thread for it! I keep reasoning with myself that Covid itself is worse for ears, but the fear is intense.

13. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @Ed209 -- If I had a friend or family member who was potentially exposed to the coronavirus, and asked me where to go to find the best available information that would be especially helpful? I would send them to 2-time winning Nobel Prize winner Linus Pauling's organization called Orthomolecular Medicine. I think its website adds substantially to what mainstream medicine has to offer.

Not at all trying to say your approach doesn't have significant merit. But my own personal view is that it may be unnecessarily restrictive, and perhaps not all that practical when dealing with a crisis situation that requires immediate intervention. -- Below is a link to many articles they've published on COVID-19, which contain many practical ways to address both prevention and treatment.

Orthomolecular Medicine News Service

All the Best!

• Like Like x 1
    14. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      To me it seems shocking that several vaccines were created in just 6 months to treat a new virus... it seems a bit rushed, so I am skeptical about the efficacy of the vaccines.

It is very strange that the media has not reported on the period of immunity the vaccine provides.

On top of that recently a nurse in Portugal died suddenly just the day after being administered the vaccine, and she was young. There have been serious side effects reported too, probably this is just a very small minority of cases, but still something to consider.

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      That's a very good question. That's why young people are mostly skeptical about the vaccine. When one sees workmates catching COVID-19 and being ok afterwards, it is normal to wonder why taking the risk of getting vaccinated when there is a lot of information lacking about the vaccine and its side effects.

16. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I've answered this a few times. A pandemic is defined as an epidemic occurring worldwide. The severity of the disease is irrelevant to the term. Even so, the estimated mortality rate is still something that has to be considered and taken seriously, as it’s significantly worse than the flu’s, and it’s also a novel virus. This means that nobody knows what it will do next as each mutation occurs. It could gradually become less deadly over time, but it could also become more deadly. It is smart to take it seriously.

If I presented people on this forum with a bowl of 100 jelly beans, and I told you all that 2 of them contained a lethal poison, how many of you would grab and eat one? What if there were 100 people in the room and 20 had already been eaten? Would you eat one then?

After all, 1/2 in a hundred are good odds, so you should be fine.

17. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Linus Pauling was a scientific legend. I know that he also experimented with vitamin C and was the first person (I may be wrong here) to say that it would help with a cold.

I've done a lot of reading on this, and although it does have an effect, it's pretty negligible and doesn't stop you catching a cold. The best you can expect is for it shorten the duration you have it by a day or so.

I know you believe that vitamin C would help tackle the coronavirus, but I still don’t think it would make much of a difference in whether someone would contract it or not. I respect your opinion, however. Mine is just different.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      My mom and dad had the second Pfizer vaccine injection on Saturday, and by the nighttime they both felt really ill and had a horrendous headache. This is considered normal, but it still panicked my mom.

They seem ok now, though.

As a side note, I received a text today from my GP saying they will be in touch in the coming weeks to book my vaccination. I'm not sure if this is a generic message they are sending to everyone or if I’m actually on the list.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    19. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Well, if so many companies redirect all their resources at finding a solution for COVID-19, I guess it can go that fast. Now it would be nice if that ever happened with tinnitus, but we can keep dreaming. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I am so split about this vaccine. It seems that whether we choose to have it or not, there is a risk of worsening tinnitus and hyperacusis. I just don't know what to do. I know some months will pass before it will be offered to me, so I have some time to make my decision, but as of right now the only options I can see are a bad choice and another bad choice.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Absolutely, most young people have a healthy immune system and can fight off a cold, flu or even this "COVID-19" thing.

Vaccines are not needed and may be harmful. There's been other treatments for COVID-19 introduced but they have been resisted, ignored and disregarded.

Look up Hydroxychloroquine and Ivermectin. But, nope, those options have been abandoned.

22. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I think the hearing system is so complicated because of its tiny structures and how delicate and intertwined they are. Even the endolymph, the liquid, is already complicated... the cause of endolymphatic hydrops.

On top of that pharma companies and hearing aid manufacturers already make so much money selling these devices and selling their "snake oil" products for tinnitus, that they lack incentives to address the real issue and get it solved.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    23. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I see your point, and in general agree with you. However, regarding the vaccine, I can see how young people may have less incentives to get vaccinated than old people. Young people are seeing peers, colleagues and workmates get COVID-19 and be absolutely fine after a few weeks, so they have to balance the potential risk and benefits from the vaccine more carefully.

24. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      And yet there are companies now to create treatments/cures. I mean yeah it's complicated but it doesn't seem to be too complicated to develop treatments. So speed it up. Hearing loss and tinnitus has societal costs of hundreds of billions per year according to the WHO (treatments, lost opportunities, associated mental health problems, etc., google "Global costs of unaddressed hearing loss and cost-effectiveness of interventions").

For COVID-19 (ok COVID-19 has probably costs of trillions) we have a solution within a year or two but for hearing loss with also staggering societal costs the world can't afford a couple billions to fix the problem? It's absurd.

25. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Maybe it is not only the cost but also the technical complexity of human hearing.

26. Moss

Moss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Blasting speakers, medical trauma
      I have great concerns since my tinnitus and hyperacusis went through the roof as a result of surgeries and heavy antibiotics. The condition was manageable before this happened (multiple surgeries and multiple courses of IV antibiotics including Gentamicin), now I have no sound tolerance at all. I have a chronic illness with chronic pain all over already to begin with (but am not in the official vulnerable group) and have reasons to believe my immune system went out of whack. To me the reaction feels like a neuro inflammation and connected to the immune system. The last surgery was the nail in the coffin.

I’m isolated alone at home because of COVID-19 as well as the ear pain so I’m currently at no risk of catching COVID-19. I intend to keep it that way for as long as it takes. I’m therefore leaning towards not taking the risk of aggravating the ear condition, but I’m not sure. I don’t know who to discuss this with since no one seems to know anything whatsoever about anything that I want to know about.

• Hug Hug x 1
    27. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      You're a conspiracy theorist, a sweeping case of brain rot just as epidemic as COVID-19 these day.

BTW, if you have a policy of seeking out "independent" sources of information to determine the real threats before us, not just the ones "they" want us to fear, be sure to visit this site. Your life will never be the same after.

https://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

• Genius Genius x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    28. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      It actually took me two minutes until I got skeptical and Googled for some background about this. If I believed more quickly I might have fallen for it. o_O

• Winner Winner x 1
    29. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And for the tone of that post Glenn, you can have my stock response: go fuck yourself.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    30. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Unfortunately, this really is all it takes to convince a lot of people. PeteJ, in particular, seems highly susceptible, as he appears to believe anything he reads online, as long as it fits his beliefs. We are all like this to a degree as it is hardwired into us, but some take it to another level. This is why it's important that we know the source of the information we are reading, and what the context or motive behind it is. Social media can act as an amplifier, making it easier for misinformation to spread, and lies tend to spread faster than the truth.

When I see someone fervently calling another person a sheep, and saying things like, "bah, bah," I know that whatever that person is saying is almost certainly nonsense, as that phrase seems to be the calling card of those who are the least informed in a given situation. The irony always makes me smile.