Work as a Bike Mechanic with Tinnitus & Hyperacusis for 4.5 Months Now

Discussion in 'Support' started by DCM, Jun 5, 2017.

1. DCM

DCM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 12, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bicycle tire Exploding
      Hi
      I got this from a very big explosion from a bike tire tubeless was like a gun shot. Normal tires popping are normal and never affected me.

But this weekend two tires popped which is not helping. Are there ear plugs that set the decibels to 80-85. I always have ear protection with me at work now but I don't wear them all day long I don't want to over protect my ears.

I was doing OK getting better but in the past month my H has gone backwards. I have left a part time job so I can have 3 days off in a row to rest.

The DB level in the shop is from 55 to 70, if I wear ear plugs it ramps my T so I don't wear them only when needed now.

I also live in NYC and ride my bike to and from the Subway where I use Bose knockout sound head phones. Every subway ride my T ramps up on good days it calms down and my ears are very quite.

Best Denis

2. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Sorry to hear about your tinnitus. I also cycle and that is always my fear, a tire exploding while I'm inflating it. But I've even heard stories of them just randomly exploding when riding.

By normal tires exploding you mean the tires with a tube? Didn't know that tubeless exploding made a louder noise. I would think it would only depend on the psi, like higher psi more noise?

The only ear plugs I can think of that offer that are the electronic ones that are mostly bought by hunters/shooters and they only suppress loud noises. But they are expensive, usually $300+ for a pair. And also you have to change the batteries like once per week or two weeks. Here are some:
      http://www.earplugstore.com/in-ear-hunting-hearing-aids.html

3. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      A tube exploding can be crazy loud too. Most of tubeless tyres explode while inflating though. In 15 years of MTB riding, I NEVER heard (or my friends) a tyre exploding while riding. Don't quit cycling for that... But make sure your parts (rims, tyres) are always in good shape.

DCM, maybe you should just buy good earmuffs like the Peltor X5A. You can wear them only while inflating tyres, it's so easy to put on and off.

4. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      @DCM

Use ear protection
      Plugs
      Muffs

Get a pair of Peltor x5a for the public transport or walking in noisy streets where looks aren't an issue - to relieve the pressure on the ear canal and allow wax to flow out

Over Protecting won't make your ears permanently more sensitive - it only results in a temporary brain sensitivity - gain increase which lasts a few minutes or hours at most . It's not permanent and nothing to worry about and certainly not a reason to avoid ear protection

Yes you will be more aware of your T obviously but it's price to pay to avoid a permanent worsening
      It will get better over time - at your age it's going to take much longer than you think but only if you protect your ears