Worker's Compensation Paying for TRT?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jack Mccarthy, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Jack Mccarthy

Jack Mccarthy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      airplane flight cabin pressure
      Has anyone had any luck in getting TRT paid for by worker's compensation where your tinnitus was diagnosed as being work related? I've talked both to my own and other ENTs and I can't find advocates for it in the New England area. The cost is $6K last time I checked a few years back, but with a 50% success rate according to my ENT, I don't want to face getting rejected by worker's comp unless I have a doctor who can fight for me. I've been taking several mg of Klonopin daily for it to keep it at bay but am now suffering from ED, dry eye and possibly the early stages of hair loss. Even finding another ENT who's willing to prescribe the same dosage of Klonopin is tough as many shy away from it. Audiologists who perform TRT appear to be for it, but I don't know if they carry enough weight to battle it out with worker's compensation insurance.

Just thought I'd ask in case anyone's been in this situation or knows what to do. BTW, I've tried several over the counter meds typically used for my mild case of tinnitus which impacts my concentration at work and sleep without any good results. The Klonopin is like a last ditch effort that works. Even my white noise machine for sleeping doesn't seem to have the right pitch tone to help mask the noise effectively. Any suggestions on a better White Noise generator would be appreciated as well.

2. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      This is the best sound machine I have heard:
      http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Oasis-S-5000-Deluxe-Therapy/dp/B0085LW1DA/

It will be difficult as they will argue you got your tinnitus from outside the work. How do you prove it is from work? If you really want TRT, just pay for it out of your own pocket. This is your health we are talking about......

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Mccarthy

Jack Mccarthy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The question about getting tinnitus while traveling for work is not the issue. That's been confirmed; even by the doctor representing the worker's comp insurance company. The difficultly is getting someone to support TRT in the event of a likely dispute given the 50% success rate in lieu of taking meds paid by them for the rest of my life. It's hard finding a doctor who does TRT in the area other than just audiologists.

Thanks for the link on the sound machine. Have you heard or used it personally?

4. baz 22
      Alone

baz 22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      6K?? That's crazy. I think it's free in the UK, but I wouldn't want to see the waiting list.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jack Mccarthy

Jack Mccarthy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good point. I haven't shopped around and just went to the first reputable place in my area that my Mass Eye/Ear neurologist who specialized in tinnitus (Dr. David Levine) suggested before he retired a few years back. $1K for the hearing device and $5K for the appointments & "tuning" the device to match the tinnitus noise as best as possible. My health care insurance wouldn't cover such a therapy. You'd think it'd be cheaper for those who have to pay out of pocket.