Working at a Call Center with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by pweufp, Dec 24, 2015.

1. pweufp

pweufp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2015
      Right now I am on leave from my job at a call center since tinnitus is making it difficult to work. The ENT doctor told me I can no longer wear headphones though work wants me to use the handset/receiver which doesn't seem reasonable since talking on the phone now for eight to ten hours a days sounds unbearable. I am not sure if it is the fear of losing more of my hearing due to the constant sounds of fellow workers and changing the volume all the time to hear the person on the other end of the line. How do cope working while hearing the constant ringing/noise in your ears? Is it easier wearing hearing aids to mask the ringing/noise and to help in the hearing loss?

2. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      When did you get your T? Before or during this job?
      I read of a case who worked wearing headphones for a telephone company, got T in the process, sued the company, won the trial and millions of dollars.

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @pweufp I am sorry to hear of your situation. Unfortunately, wearing a headset for long durations can cause or make tinnitus worse for some people in my opinion, and therefore I agree with your ENT Doctor. If a person has tinnitus due to hearing loss, the wearing of hearing aids usually help. They supply the brain with a higher volume of sound from the outside world. Over time the brain turns down it's sensitivity which also makes the tinnitus reduce.
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    4. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      I have been a 911 emergency operator for 10 years. we are required to wear headsets. My headset was always an in the ear headset but when I developed Tinnitus I switched to an outer ear one that just sits outside my ear.. I'm also required to be on the phone a lot with my other ear. I have bad days where the volume of the tinnitus gets really loud due to noise level in the room and I have to put ear plugs in which make it difficult to work.

I realize headset use may have contributed to my t and have been debating on switching jobs as ion as possible. Unfortunately, I am pregnant and will not be able to leave anytime soon but I will get a break from work when I go on maternity leave and possibly switch jobs after that. Sorry I don't have more advise just wanted you to know you're not alone.

• Hug Hug x 2
    5. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I know this is an old thread, but how is that even possible? Were they in the US?

6. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      No, unfortunately. In UK. And the guy won GBP, not "dollars", sorry for the mistake. (because of T I am always tired and I make mistakes)

7. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Ahh, okay. Workers seem to have more rights over there.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Maybe this is one reason that tinnitus is so studiously ignored by the medical profession. To acknowledge it fully would open the way to legitimizing it as a workplace-caused illness for too many people. I read an article some time back written by a Sydney ENT for the Law Society of New South Wales in which said the question of workers' compensation for tinnitus was "problematic" (which I'm sure it is) but he then went on to blame the sufferers as being "that kind of person anyway" (he meant we already had pre-existing psychological issues, which I guess means all of us). That folks, is what we are up against from the "caring" profession.