World Cup Watching!

Discussion in 'Support' started by washashore, Jun 23, 2014.

1. washashore
      Fine

washashore Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Hey All,

It’s World Cup time – a.k.a. the one time every four years when Americans (myself included) get to pretend we know all the rules of soccer… sorry, football! What is this extra time crap!

Anyways, I went out last night to a fairly loud bar to watch the USA v. Portugal match. It got really loud anytime a goal was scored. I like to use flesh-colored foam plugs in these situations because they are pretty discrete; sometimes I even cut off a little bit off the end of the plugs that sticks a little bit out of the ear canal. They really block the sound to the point where it’s sometimes hard to hear people talk, but no one ever seems to notice. Despite the late Portugal goal, it was an excellent match and I had a great time screaming at the TV and downing several cold ones.

And no spike at all today. I’m not habituated to this noise yet, but it feels good to not let T get in the way of life. That has been my strategy so far – do everything that I would have done before T, but with hearing protection if I need it. It seems to be working alright and I’m very slowly getting used to having T. Of course I still get really nervous before going out to a loud restaurant or bar, but I’m learning to trust the fact that ear plugs will be good enough protection.

I just ordered a pair of custom ear plugs with interchangeable filters - Westtones TRU customs. I’ll post review of those once I try them out.

Best of luck to your teams…

2. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Do you remember the vuvuzelas from the last world cup? Everybody had tinnitus in those games... :)

vuvuzela.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    3. rainman
      Curious

rainman Member

It was a great game, didn't know US was so good. It ended 3am in my country :dohanimation: still glad i watched the last minute- was forth it. I'm quite objective, usually like that weaker(underdog) wins. The first round is always the best, many surprises and new countries or underdogs are giving all their best out there. They don't have nothing to loose. Just like in NBA, the first round was best. You have great team work and i did like the creativity on offence, only missing that last guy who can put it in the net. Good luck!(i think you have theoretical chance but not likely to escape from elimination?) I'm rooting for EU countries, obviously. Mainly Holland, been fan since Edgar Davids and Kluivert played there.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      washashore
      Fine

washashore Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      I think the US is still well-positioned to move on. They need a win or a draw against Germany or a draw in the Ghana-Portugal match. If the US loses and the other match isn't a draw, then it comes down to a tiebreaker of goals scored/goals against. At least that how I see the math.

5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      This is the World Cup Messi shines. So far 2 winning goals in 2 games. You just can't leave him alone or one on one from the right side. His left foot shot will kill any goalie amid tough defenses. He only needs a second of space/time to fire that killer shot. Even hard/tough defensive Iran can't stop him. I hope Messi and C. Ronaldo will move deeper in the rounds so fans can watch their fantastic skills. The crowd noise and the energy of the games are great. T can hide in the background for sure with all that going on in the games. Haha. Wear ear plugs though if you can't stand that loud cheering. Enjoy the beautiful game.

6. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      In case of a draw, both USA and Germany are in the second round.
      So maybe a 0:0. :)

7. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      That picture alone just basically gave me a small cardiac.......:LOL:

• Funny Funny x 1
    8. rainman
      Curious

rainman Member

Not agreeing :p Messi isn't a world cup guy, never got it really going. Even now, nothing spectacular. The goals were beautiful, but only two?? This really is the world cup where we will witness even brighter star to arise- 22y old Neymar da Silva Santos Júnior. If he can get 3 more goals in this cup it will be 7 from him, i think he will then have a good chance to brake 20 goal mark in his career. Right now it's tie with Brazil Ronaldo and German Kloze, with 15 goals. Klose is still active, he might make 1-2 more. But Neymar, he is all over the place, gives amazing passes and making impossible goals. Too bad they have such an average shooter- Fred, who might hold them back winning it all. Great times nevertheless :cyclops: