Worried and Going Nuts

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sven, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hello!

I've had tinnitus for 14 years and I've had it worsen two or three times during that time. During that time I've also had a number of scares, where I think it might have worsened.

Now I'm in the middle of one of these episodes, after twice in two days having experienced what might have been to loud noise/music. I only wore my earplugs for about 25% of that time, but at the time I didn't think of it as being "too loud" until I actually put them on.

Now it's driving me crazy... has it worsened or is it just my imagination? Have I torn down my "psychological defenses" or has the ringing actually increased or changed? Last evening it was louder than the TV at times, but when I went to bed I experienced it less loud than earlier. Then I woke up at 3 AM and it felt like a siren in my head. It was horrible. I managed, thanks to a sleeping pill, return to sleep after an hour and when I woke up at 7:30 I experienced the ringing less than in the middle of the night but probably more than a week ago.

If I put my fingers in my ears and isolate the ringing I can't for sure say that it has worsened, but during daytime I keep thinking it has.

What can I do? I thought I was a "veteran" being able to cope with my T, but now it's like it was 14 years ago. I'm very worried.

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      When did those loud noise experiences happen? In these past two days?

For starters, if you keep plugging your ears with fingers and specifically trying to listen to the noise and how it might or might not have changed, then that's only going to increase your perception of the noise during the rest of the day too.

My gut feeling is that most of the times the felt increases are caused by increased perception that is triggered by unnecessary worry, anxiety and stress.

I wish I could say for sure how it is in your case, but all I can do is suggest that you try to wait a few weeks, pay as little attention to it as you can (utilize sound enrichment if necessary), and live your life as you did for the past decade.

Keep us posted how you start to feel.

Best wishes,
      Markku

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hello!
      Thanks for your reply. The first experience was Tuesday night, when I attended the football match between Sweden and the Faroe Islands. I didn't consider volume to loud, except maybe that from the loudspeakers at the stadium. I didn't wear my earplugs.

The second was the night after, when colleagues of mine and I went out for a few beers. There was music all night, and after a while, when there was some live music, I used my ear plugs. Afterwards I took them out and I didn't think it was too loud, but maybe it was.

The next day I started thinking and worrying, and that's where I am right now...

I'll try ignoring it best I can and we'll see, I guess.

4. Jason123
      Overworked

Jason123 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2008
      Lately, I've been using a noise-measuring app on my iPhone. If I'm out somewhere where the music/noise is borderline and hard to tell if it's too loud, I use app the measure it. If it's anywhere around 80-85 decibels, I put the earplugs in.

Using the app makes me feel slightly as though the T is affecting my life, but overall I'd rather protect my hearing at the cost of a few decibel level checks.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      It's a good suggestion to have a decibel meter handy.

Many people are surprised by how loud something actually is (we did that in school back in the day, first we heard a sound, then all of us predicted its loudness, and almost everyone guessed it wrong and the sound actually was louder than thought).

6. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Eat a lit of pineapples.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Jason & Markku: Of course... I can't believe I haven't thought of that myself. Such an easy way to prevent situations like this. Sherri: Excuse me?

8. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Sorry ! Had logged out in a rush ! Eating a lot of pineapples, helps reduce the volume of the T. Pineapples have an enzyme called
      Quercetin. Sorry about what you're going through, Sven. Mine started 3 months back, it had gotten so much better, but I had to travel a lot and got exposed to Loud noise, miserable as hell right now.i noticed recently that volume remains low on days that I take resveratrol. I'm going to experiment again starting today. Thanks, take care.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I find that very hard to believe. The pineapple part, that is. Resveratrol was news to me. Please let me/us know how it goes.

10. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Sven, I've experimented a lot with pineapples, try it. Not juice ofcourse as it'll have sugar, but fresh pineapple, as I couldn't eat so much, I made a smoothie out of it in a blender with a bit of milk, really helps. Google 'pineapples and tinnitus'.will keep you updated on resveratrol, just took two pills, Hoping I'll have a better day today.

11. Robert Fahey

Robert Fahey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan, 2012
      If you're not sure whether your T has intensified, it probably hasn't.

12. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Oh sorry, if you're avoiding salicylates, don't eat pineapples.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I hope you're right. However, it's not that simple. I guess worrying can make you experience your T louder than it actually is.

14. Robert Fahey

Robert Fahey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan, 2012
      That's my point. Ultimately you control the volume knob.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      My problem right now is that I'm pretty convinced that it has increased, but I'm trying to convince myself it's just temporary. This morning I started feeling as if I was winning, but come lunchtime, the T struck back. I almost feel like I did when it first hit me seriously, back in 1999.

16. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Sorry to hear that Sven, hope its somewhat better now. My T began just 3 months back, so don't know what to say. I keep experimenting with different supplements, nothing's working so far. Take care. Hope you feel better soon.

• Like Like x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Not better at all, I'm afraid. Still hoping... I'm going to the doctor tomorrow, even though I know there's nothing they can do.

I am still hoping my increase has to do with many changes in my life at the moment, but considering that I twice in two days was in loud environments makes me doubt that. 7 days, now.

18. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Sorry to hear that Sven. A friend online just told me her T was cured by ' super Green food shakes '. If you want you can read our conversations on my thread called " new here ". I had a T spike last 3 days, went crazy, better today.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Funny. I just read that. :) However, since my T is caused by excessive noise, I doubt nutrients can fix it. How did your friend get her T?

20. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Exactly the question I should ask her, forgot to ask....will ask now.

21. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Oh I went through her old posts, she had written that it had started suddenly, no reason... Maybe adrenal exhaustion.

22. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Uhm someone should write an iPhone app to measure our hearing. Something like tap the screen when you start hearing the tones. To use it would be a way to measure if the Tinnitus is really worse at that moment. I can't count how many freakouts I had thinking that maybe my T had gone worse.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Just being able to record it for others to understand would be of use.

I had an afternoon/evening of hell yesterday. I can seriously say that's the worst I've felt regarding T since 1999. How much that was actually higher T and how much that was anxiety over T I can't say. My general state is better this morning but I still sense my T in "the back of my ears" (kind of). I'm going to the doctor in 45 minutes, not that I know why. :unsure:

24. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Sven -
      Ever try hearing aids? Most people with tinnitus have some hearing loss at the tinnitus frequencies they hear. Many people experience partial or complete suppression of their tinnitus when they put the aids on. They don't cure tinnitus. Once you take them out, the tinnitus returns. But at least during the time you wear them you can get some relief.

Usually audiologist will give patients a trial period of one month. I suggest that it may be worth a shot.

25. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hello Sven, don't be discouraged by what the doctor says, you can still try to do your best. Sorry forgot to mention before, try reflexology when T is too loud, rub behind an in front of the ears etc... Google online there are some sites with instructions and diagrams. And also please go through the latest post by Roan today. Even if T was caused by sound, some people have been able to cure it.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      On the contrary. He was great. He explained certain things for me. None of them were actually news to me, but he listened and took time to explain. Apparently I've experienced and am experiencing some very stressful moments in life. (Separation, move and change of jobs (to something I don't want) and also my parents are in very bad shape. His explanation was that it was in no way certain that I actually had worsened my T, but all the stress in my life at the moment has caused my brain's capability to "filter out" the T. to worsen (or stop working). Add to that my own "What if it has worsened-scenario. It does make perfect sense, even though I'm in no way at all certain that he is right. I hope he is and that my T will return to "normal" soon...

If it doesn't I'm sure I'll adapt eventually, no matter how horrid it feels at times.

Karl: No, I haven't. I haven't had my hearing tried since 2000 or 2001 I think, but back then I had no loss of hearing except for those frequencies "blocked" by my tinnitus. I don't think I need hearing aids. I'll keep your suggestion in mind, though.

27. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Sven -
      I know what you mean about stress - especially about worrying about parents: My tinnitus started as a result of worrying about moving my mother to an assisted living facility.

In October, 2011, my brother and I had a great difference of opinion about moving our mother to an expensive facility. As a result of big fights about our mom, one morning my heart beat went into atrial fibrilation. I went to the hospital, the doctors gave me drugs, and 5 hours later my heart was back in rythmn. Unfortunately, the drugs they gave me to correct my heart rhythm gave me tinnitus.

I can't tell you how much I have kicked myself over this. If it wasn't for that stressful situation, I could have avoided all of this crap.

About hearing aids: I'm a firm believer that tinnitus is simply caused by hearing loss. The brain "cranks up the gain control" at the frequency that is damaged. That's it.

For years audiologists have treated people with tinnitus by giving them hearing aids. Here's a link to a good article: http://www.audicare.com.br/pdf/Hearing-aid.pdf

They're expensive in the US. It's my understanding that in other countries with socialized medicine, aids are affordable or even free, although you may not be able to get the best and smallest models. I have the Widex Dream series, which are so small that nobody notices them. They are not a total fix, but they certainly seem to diminish the noise.

28. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Yes stress causes T too, mine started during a very stressful week for me in march plus aspirin overdose. Drinking lots of water all day and very long walks reduces the volume the next day. Sven ,good to hear the doctor was good. My doctors depress and discourage me so much, hate to go to them.

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Maybe you're right. If nothing improves over time, I may have to check it out.

As for stress and such, I find it amazing how the brain works, and it also makes it hard to understand. How can it just shut down a part like that? (Apparently that's also how a depression works.) We did talk about anti-depressants, but since it's quite new and I don't feel nor seem depressed he thought we could wait a while.

I wish I was certain he was right, but I'm not.

30. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      I think when we get stressed, circulation slows down. I regret so much too, for letting the stress effect me so much, had I remembered to take deep breaths and had been eating well too, I feel T might not had happened.